02/17/21 - New Member - Cat terrified of injections - any advice?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Leah and Jodie, Feb 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leah and Jodie

Leah and Jodie New Member

Hi there,

I’m very grateful to have been referred to this website! Our sweet girl Jodie was recently diagnosed with diabetes - she’s a 10 year old dilute calico. She was drinking and urinating a lot more than usual, and after some tests we discovered that she needed to be put on insulin (Lantus insulin and we were given 29G needles by our vet). We were also instructed to switch her over from her Royal Canin Adult PR to Purina DM (she has GI issues), and are going to see how she does with the brand switch before transitioning her to a mainly wet food diet.

We’re on day two of injections (one unit in the morning and one at night), and she is absolutely terrified. She’s a rescue (we’ve had her for about a year now) and she has come so far, but with the injections it’s like we’re back at square one. She was at a point where she would sleep with us every night, cuddle, be super excited to eat breakfast, dinner, and treats, and chat loudly with us, and now she cowers when we come near and runs away if we make any sudden movement. It’s absolutely heartbreaking and I’m feeling so incredibly overwhelmed and sad. I know it’s going to be a transition and it’s going to take time to find a routine that works, but any help or support in the meantime would be so appreciated! It’s been so easy to get lost in all of this new information.

Thank you all so much in advance!

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Leah,

Welcome to yourself and Jodie.

I'm so sorry to hear that the start of your diabetes journey is a little bumpy at the moment. I'm glad you've found FDMB. From my own experience I've been so grateful for both the education and the emotional support I have received from members here and I'm confident your experience will be similar. There are members in countries all over the world so there's usually someone around 24/7. Ask away about anything you need assistance and support with and we'll do all we can to help you both.

To the immediate issue, here is a really good video showing techniques to help a cat get used to receiving injections:

Also, there are more tips at this link about the 'mechanics' of giving injections:

Home testing and injection tips

One thing to check is that the bevelled side of the syringe needle is facing up when giving the injection because it goes in more easily that way. Another thought is that you can get finer (30G) needles and, depending on the syringes you've been given, you might be able to get 30G syringes with shorter needles and that might be more comfortable for Jodie. If you let us know which country you're in, we can suggest suitable products and where to buy.

I really feel for you because you sound so worried about how the diabetes treatment might affect your relationship with Jodie. By way of a little reassurance, while there might be a few hiccups initially, many members comment that, through managing their cats' diabetes, they have ended up developing really special and deep bonds with their sugar cats. I hope the same holds true for you and your little one.

(((Leah and Jodie)))

Here's another helpful info post to get you started and give you some pointers on how to get the best out of FDMB:

How to help us to help you

Don't be shy about asking questions. We all started where you are right now, and we're only too happy to help. It'll get better. :)

Mogs

Leah and Jodie and SashaV like this.
  3. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

If I were you, I'd try some feliway or pet remedy both as diffusers.

Feliway is pheromones so she's comfortable in stressing situations. Pet remedy is calming, on humans too actually :D

Like Mogs say, it will get better. And easier. Just hang in there :bighug:

Leah and Jodie and Critter Mom like this.
  4. Critter Mom

PS: When attempting to give an injection, try singing to Jodie or talking to her in a matter-of-fact, confident, sing-songy voice (even if you don't feel very confident). All of this is very new for the pair of you, and cats are divils for picking up on our own emotional states. Putting on a cheerful, confident air may help to relax you both, and reassure Jodie that all is still OK with the world, even if she's a little bit confused about all the weird things her Person has started doing lately. ;)

Mogs

Leah and Jodie likes this.
  5. Leah and Jodie

Leah and Jodie New Member

Thank you so much, Critter Mom, for all that helpful advice off the bat! I'll definitely watch the video with my partner later so we can have a game plan to help Jodie in the best way possible. And thank you Sasha for your recommendation - I've used Feliway in the past for when we first brought her home, and I've never heard of Pet Remedy! I'll give those a look.

As for location, I'm in Los Angeles, California. From other posts I've read I'd definitely like to try a smaller needle to maybe make it a more comfortable experience for her. But right now we're at a point where even pinching her skin is a big upset (she's very particular about where she likes to be touched/pet even in the best of times).

Again, thank you so much. I'm looking forward to being part of such a supportive community and to making this as easy a transition as possible for Jodie.

SashaV and Critter Mom like this.
  6. Critter Mom

@Chris & China (GA) -

Hi Chris,

When you're around I'd be grateful if you could give Leah a recommendation on where to get U100 syringes with 30G short needles and half-unit markings (ADW? Walmart?). Also, is Pure Bites the right brand for freeze-dried treats (or can you recommend others)?

Mogs

Leah and Jodie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.