? 03-08 Panzer PMPS 80/53@+3/53@+4/57@+5/58@+6/ Decreasing meds & how to lose weight safely

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chrispooky12, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...uld-i-drop-down-the-dose-more-surgery.274821/

My surgery went very well, I have a follow-up appointment on March 17th with the surgeon. I'm hoping to go back to work cleaning the smaller houses in my hometown on March 20th & hopefully start back with all of my houses in April. I will see what the doctor thinks & go from there. The church that is supposed to be helping me with my utilitie bills keeps asking for more information on my income. I've sent them a self employment form & 3 tax documents. She said the documents don't look real wth I feel like I'm being treated like a criminal how does one fake tax documents!? So I sent the tax document showing my income from 2020 & 2021 & I sent a picture of the folder holding all of the documents with the name & phone number of my tax guy. I haven't heard back from them yet & low & behold I got a disconnect notice on the electric bill in the mail today! If I would have known these people were going to treat me how they are, I would have applied for ICAP for help on utilities. So now I'm worrying that my electric is going to be shut off!

Panzer was & still is doing well on the 3.25 units dose that I dropped him down to for my surgery, so I've kept him at that dose. I've been trying not to test as much because I'm am about to open the last box of 100 strips that DCIN bought for me, they provided me with 3 boxes of 100 strips. So now I'm worrying about running out of strips!

I took Panzer off of Zobaline on March 2nd because one they are expensive & two he is a regulated diabetic kitty. So far he hasn't had any issue's jumping or with his back legs.
    His first dose of cosequin was on February 17th & that is the same day that I plugged in the diffuser. I will not be getting any refills on the diffuser or a different kind due to them costing $20 a month. I'm hoping the cosequin alone will continue to work for Panzer. He's peeing normally now, no issues at all (knock on wood) I also started him back on D Mannose on Feb 18th he gets that one time a day as well as the cosequin one time a day. He's still getting Mirilax 2xs a day one day & slippery elm with bark every other day. I have changed the probiotic from daily to every other day. I haven't been able to find the beechnut beef baby food which is the only one that Spook likes, he did eat the chicken flavor baby food this morning but that's probably only because I put mirataz on his ear yesterday due to him not wanting to eat. I've cut both of them down to 1/4 of an ondansetron at AMPS & PMPS. The last time I tried to get them off of it Panzer did great but I ended up keeping Spook at 1/4 of a pill daily to keep him eating. If Spook refuses the probiotic one more time I will be taking him off of it all together they are expensive as well. Is it safe to take Panzer off of the Zobaline & cut back on the probiotic? I also want to address his weight, I was talking to my surgeon about him before my surgery & he said because he weighs 17lbs he's overweight & likely won't go into remission? Is this true? If so what can I do to get some of the weight off of him safely without causing a pancreatitis flare or another UTI?

Any thought & suggestions are welcome @Suzanne & Darcy @FrostD @tiffmaxee @Diane Tyler's Mom @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Bandit's Mom

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Weight loss needs to be very slow with cats. Dr. Lisa https://catinfo.org/#Obesityhas a section on how to determine the calories needed for safe weight loss. A friend followed her advice and got her cat down to his ideal weight. What should he weigh?

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  3. Chrispooky12

He weighs 17lbs now & has a gut hanging on him. He was at 12lbs at diagnosis which was small for his body length, I would say 14lbs would be his ideal weight.

4. Chrispooky12

Wow 128/129 retest...somebody's either bouncing from being in the 50s last night or he dropped lower in between +6 & AMPS. I was going to take a reduction @AMPS because other than a 105 & a 102 Panzer has been in the greens for 7 days! I still may take one @ PMPS.

I know someone else on here who's kitty dropped under 40 & she didn't take a reduction & she believes he dropped under 50 not to long ago due to him being in the pink & red. He's getting to much insulin but she says she's doing her own thing! Well i'm not letting my boy get insulin resistant...

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I don’t see any sign of Panzer becoming insulin resistant. I’d hold off on the reduction since he’s seeing slightly higher numbers but he has been green for 7 days so you could try it, especially since you ate running out of test strips. If it fails you can go right back up. I’m glad you are doing better too. :D

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for the cat whose owner says she's doing her own thing. I'm very frustrated with a few people right now who won't listen to this Board's advice.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  7. Suzanne & Darcy

I think it's probably okay to keep him off the Zobaline unless he shows signs of neuropathy, which I seriously doubt due to his numbers. As for the probiotic, I would perhaps go to every other day, due to the cost... or if you think he's not having GI issues, then skip it if you cannot afford it. It seems like he certainly doesn't need Mirataz on his ears if he's overweight. That's a lot of weight to gain since diagnosis. I guess you are overfeeding him and need to cut back on overall total calories. It sounds more like Spook is the one with the bad appetite.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  8. Suzanne & Darcy

Good luck on 3 units, Christina :)

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  9. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh... sorry for another post... but it doesn't sound nice at all....... the way you are being treated about the utilities and tax forms. I wonder what they are talking about ? Tell them they can contact your tax preparer if they don't believe you. I hope that will change!

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  10. Chrispooky12

Me too & from the looks of his spreadsheet this evening, he went low again today...poor kitty!

11. Chrispooky12

He was overweight before he was diagnosed so that possibly contributed to his diagnosis plus the garbage dry food that I was feeding him when I didn’t know any better. He was 17lbs before he got sick so he gained all of his weight back. Chris sent me some charts on messenger & it looks like he's just under the obese picture. I can't fill his ribs or his backbone & he's got a bit of a sag belly.He's a good eater for the most part. I gave them both BFF chicken & turkey tiptoe today & they hated it but ate it with fortiflora, so I messaged chewy & will likely get a credit & put it with the rest of my donations. I plan on writing down the fat & protein in the food & flavors he's eating now & try to get away from the high fat ones. He's eating fancy feast & weruva.
    Yeah Spook is a challenge I sometimes have to move around the room with him putting his bowl in front of him until he finishes. He's holding steady at a perfect weight of 14lbs down from 16lbs. That's where I would like to get Panzer weight wise, hopefully cutting down on the baby food will help as well.

12. Chrispooky12

Thank you he's in the greens again now :Dhe seems to clear bounces quickly probably because he's use to the lower numbers.

13. Chrispooky12

I sent them a picture of the folder that my tax papers are in & it has his name company name & phone number & also the form with what I made in 2020 & 2021. I also sent them a message telling them to let me know if they need additional information & if they are not going to help me to let me know so I can contact the ICAP office to see if they will help me. It's absolutely ridiculous!

14. Suzanne & Darcy

It does sound ridiculous!!!

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  15. Suzanne & Darcy

See. I don’t think that surgeon knows about feline diabetes. Panzer is not insulin resistant.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  16. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Good luck with the reduction Christina :cat:

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  17. Chrispooky12

142/142 PMPS retest:eek: I should have gotten my lazy butt up & tested more:arghh:

18. Diane Tyler's Mom

Nice start and a +3.25 this morning (3-13) I see he went back to greens last night :cat:
    Love the new avatar, they are so adorable.Is that Panzer the one sitting up ?

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  19. Chrispooky12

Yes hopefully he's stays in the greens. Panzer is the one on the right laying down & Spook is the one sitting up on the left. They are adorable & spoiled rotten, I'm glad I was able to get such a cute picture before one of them moved:D

20. Diane Tyler's Mom

Just adorable, how are you feeling ?
    Any luck with getting help with your finances yet

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  21. Chrispooky12

I'm okay tired alot for some reason. Yes I met with a guy from the salvation army a couple of hours ago & he had checks written out for my electric & gas bills, I just had to sign them. I took the one to the electric company & paid it in person & mailed the gas bill out due it being about 100 miles to pay in person....so that's a weight lifted off of me, now I have to worry about this months utilities & April rent. I think my doctor will release me to go back to work on the 20th. I'm ready although I enjoy the extra time with the boys & sleeping :)

22. Diane Tyler's Mom

Well that's a relief , I hope you can find some where to help out with the rent
    What is the utilities a one time thing? They won't pay the utilities for April?
    Just take it easy if you get released on the 20 th to go back to work

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    Chrispooky12 likes this.
  23. Chrispooky12

Actually they paid my February utilities & I'm not sure if I could get help with utilities or rent again. I can possibly get help on the utilities from ICAP but I'm not sure. I will figure it out though if I need to. There's just one house that would probably be to much but if I can get the husband to carry the shark vacuum cleaner up & down the basement stairs I could handle it. They have a very heavy kirby type vacuum cleaner down there that I normally use but it's way to heavy to be pushing so soon.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  24. Chrispooky12

I think Panzer's AMPS this morning was effected by the stress I under went last night, he also attacked my leg & clawed me up. I will make a new post this evening :(

25. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. My mom used to have one of those Kirby Vacuums and it was HEAVY

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  26. Suzanne & Darcy

What happened last night? Are you okay? Panzer freaked out? I just stopped by to see how you were doing. I see you got some utilities paid so that’s good.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  27. Chrispooky12

I lost half of my income $860 a month. I've been cleaning for this lady for 5yrs & her daughters for 2yrs, she pays for both. She said she was quitting because I make posts about her on FB. First off my posts are funny or deep & they aren't about anyone if they were I would tag the person, second she's my friend on there how stupid would it be for me to post something on there about her, third I have supposedly been talking to my brother in-law on there about her saying mean things about her. I have no brother in-laws(haven't talked to him in a year or more) both of my sisters are divorced & have been for 20-40yrs. I know who she's talking about though because I still consider him a friend because of my 2 nephews & niece that him & my sister share. I wouldn't talk to him about her & haven't. She's been being mean to me now for a few months, blaming me for her physical therapist canceling, a broken tea kettle that if I would have broken I would have showed her & told her immediately, blamed me for a 12pk of pop that I supposedly left on the dryer & she didn't see it & it fell & bruised her foot, funny how the next Mon I went back the pop box wasn't damaged at all. She's 67yrs old & acting like she's in high-school. I tried to be nice to her & tell her I didn't know what she was talking about because I don't. She just kept pushing me & pushing me & I went off on her. Then she threatened to make a police report which I didn't threaten her in any way so I just left it alone. At the +6 PMPS feeding I was getting ready to test Panzer & didn't realize Spook was under my feet & I stepped on him so he yelped & ran Panzer freaked out & jumped out of his box onto the floor & was all frizzed up & attacked my leg, just a little scratch no big deal. So then I had to calm him down & make sure Spook was okay he is I just barely stepped on him. I don't know what I'm going to do about losing that income. I haven't hardly slept, I'm hurting & I'm spotting a little bit.

28. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh that sounds like a messed up situation. It’s horrible how you have lost that much each month. I really hope you can pick up more houses to make up for it.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  29. Chrispooky12

Yeah she's crazy :mad:& I've been looking for other houses so I could quit her now I gotta get income quick! I have a deep cleaning set up before April 1st, I texts a house I used to clean she texted back that there out of town until May :arghh:& will text me when they are back. I need something starting on Monday, so I may do insta cart or door dash on Mon & Tue until I find 2-4 houses. I've been asking people a nurse from the hospital has my name & number, a lady from Love Inc was asking about cleaning. The deep clean house her grandma is looking for someone to clean but she's sick at the moment. So I've been preparing, I never expected this to happen & I didn't & wouldn't post about anyone I'm 50yrs old & I'm a nice easy to get along with person. The only thing I can think of is that I post about politics on Instagram & she's a Democrat. Nothing wrong with that to each there own! I should be able to put it anywhere I want but according to her I'm putting hate posts up against her :rolleyes: she couldn't show any proof though because there is none :(

30. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Hi Christina, info that you may find useful along with links, hope it helps. Lots of info to digest :bookworm:

This info page can help provide some guidelines on determining how many calories to feed.

https://www.petplace.com/article/cats/pet-health/how-to-calculate-your-cats-daily-calorie-intake/

and a picture of body condition score. https://vet.osu.edu/vmc/sites/default/files/images/Body condition score chart cats_0.pdf

you can also refer to this page for more info:

https://catinfo.org/feline-obesity-an-epidemic-of-fat-cats/#Is_Your_Cat_Overweight

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  31. Chrispooky12

Thank you very much:)

32. Chrispooky12

Panzer's numbers have been high here & there but still going green? I thinks he's sorta of bouncing we are & we're at the end of a pen so I started on a new pen @PMPS hopefully that will settle him down & back into greens. Not sure what's going on had to use mirtaz & ondansetron yesterday due to him not wanting to eat his food with fortiflora the previous day 3-18. He refused weruva @+6 AMPS, but he happily ate FF @ PMPS feeding 2hrs ago.

33. Suzanne & Darcy

I thought Panzer was not keen on Weruva. Or is ot Spook? Now I am confused.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  34. Chrispooky12

Spook is not keen on the weruva. Panzer didn't used to like it when I first started them on it & Spook liked it LOL now it's the opposite but Panzer has refused it 2xs out of 3 the past couple of days.
    Spook is not keen on the weruva. Panzer didn't used to like it when I first started them on it & Spook liked it LOL now it's the opposite, but Panzer has refused it 2xs out of 3 the past c

35. Chrispooky12

Spook is not keen on the weruva. Panzer didn't used to like it when I first started them on it & Spook liked it LOL now it's the opposite but Panzer has refused it 2xs out of 3 the past couple of days.
    Spook is not keen on the weruva. Panzer didn't used to like it when I first started them on it & Spook liked it LOL now it's the opposite, but Panzer has refused it 2xs out of 3 the past c

36. Chrispooky12

Sorry for the multiple replies...my internet is messed up or the site is slow:confused:

37. Chrispooky12

What a bouncy boy Panzer is:eek:

38. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

This post is getting really old, could you please start a new one next time you post. Thank you!