03/16 Baby G AMPS 205 PMPS 242 Pancreatitis Saga continued...

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by babyg, Mar 16, 2023.

1. babyg

babyg Well-Known Member

Previous

New thread for today. You know those Fancy Feast broth packets? This is how I just got her to eat the whole thing (minus all the bits of meat in it) and it may help someone else if they need to get their cat to eat too: I literally swiped my finger in broth, swiped her arm, she'd lick her arm, and repeat and repeat and repeat :p I can't believe it worked and it took forever but it worked! I wondered if her tongue is tired now from the constant licking but she's still licking so guess not lol. I've tried in the past dabbing her lips with stuff but that would just agitate and turn her off. Swiping food on the paw is definitely the better way to go.

Found out okay to give Ondansetron again and that there's no harm in it so long as I use it as it says, so am going to continue again. :) I thought so! Guess better safe than sorry though.

Deb and Sylvester likes this.
  2. Deb and Sylvester

Deb and Sylvester Well-Known Member

Use the meds in your arsenal, especially if it gets her to eat!!

babyg likes this.
  3. babyg

babyg Well-Known Member

Happy to report she just got her anti nausea med :cat: and I'm keeping her on it. Come on Baby G, let's beat this thing! :smuggrin:

4. Deb and Sylvester

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Ondansetron is what kept Max eating whenever he had a pancreatitis flare. I occasionally needed cyproheptadine as an appetite stimulant but rarely when he got the right dose of ondansetron for him. The only side effect I noticed was constipation when he was on it fir long periods of time and miralax and canned pumpkin worked for that as needed. I hope the eating improves soon.

babyg likes this.
  6. babyg

babyg Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! Sadly she just threw up :(but we just restarted the med almost 2 hours ago so I'm trying to give it time. Will keep offering small bits of food here and there and monitoring. My poor girl :arghh:

7. babyg

babyg Well-Known Member

Positive update: After throwing up (which was actually just one tiny liquid pile; sounded worse than it was, thankfully), she seemed to feel better; got her to eat almost another stew/broth type packet. She groomed herself and appears to be settling in now for a snooze on the couch. :cat: (that's my cue to take a snooze too, lol)

8. Deb and Sylvester

Get sleepies! Paws crossed thatvshe eats a good supper later.

babyg likes this.
  9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Small amounts often is best for pancreatitis. Feed a lot at once and they feel yucky. That’s whet my vet says. Poor Baby.

babyg likes this.
  10. babyg

babyg Well-Known Member

We just got up from a nap and I'm surprised at how steady but "low" her BG is. I know she hasn't been eating much, but I still would have thought it'd be higher, especially considering I gave 1.5 units. I'd have thought too it'd be higher if they don't feel good? Like how stress raises it.
    Going to see if she's ready for another feeding. We'll try to keep it smaller so as not to overdo. Glad we're so close to the weekend so I can watch her more like a hawk. :eek::oops:

11. Deb and Sylvester

See if she'll eat some of the Captain's pate, she's ready for a small feeding. I use those broth packets too, but they're supplemental, she needs some calories in her befire insulin.
    Go Baby! Eat for Mama!

babyg likes this.
  12. babyg

babyg Well-Known Member

I went briefly to the store to get more packets and when I came back, what did I see? The little stinker eating some dry food. :D then she wanted to go for a chair ride. I have a chair with wheels and she loves to sit down and have me wheel her back and forth throughout the house. I think someone's feeling better. :) that medicine really works wonders. Hope things just keep getting better from here.

13. Deb and Sylvester

Oh good!! I'm so glad it's helping. Just keep using it and she'll keep feeling better.:cat:

14. babyg

babyg Well-Known Member

She ate some canned using the swipe-on-arm approach, then ate some from the plate later. She hasn't really eaten much solid, actual food today...more like treats and broths...but it's progress, and she hasn't puked anymore. I'm still nervous how her eating will go tonight. She's back under the couch again, so she's still having her blah moments. Kind of touch and go.
    I'm quite disappointed with the vet office because they never called me back today even though I called twice; once in the morning and once close to closing. They're always so swamped there but it's ridiculous. She's still been steady in high to almost mid blues, so thinking to continue the reduced dose again, but I would have liked to talk to them about her progress and what's been going on and see if we need to modify anything in our game plan, especially for work tomorrow. I shouldn't have to keep relying on calling the vet hospital after-hours. We really don't have the greatest of vet practices out here. I've heard the same complaints from other pet owners in the area, too.
    Well now she just came out and is eating dry lol. It's like she'll do something that makes me feel so relieved and happy, then do something that makes me worried and upset all over, and then back and forth. Just one word for it, I guess: CATS! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  15. Deb and Sylvester

CATS is definitely the word! Lol

Stick with the dose you have, you've made alot of fast changes and dose alterations in the last week. Baby isn't feeling herself fully yet, so ler her feel better on the med and if she has to run a little high until you take the dose up in a week, so be it.

I'm glad she ate some kibbles. She may just like it under the couch.. ! She is a cat after all!!

babyg likes this.
  16. babyg

babyg Well-Known Member

Btw sorry if some of my threads tend to get longer...I think I'm a chatterbox sometimes lol. It helps my nerves. In "real life" all people ever hear about is my cat too. :p I call myself a crazy cat lady even though I just have one... but my one is more than enough! :cat: she just did the cutest thing..she came out, ate some dry, turned to the left, ate some wet, turned back to the right, ate some dry... :D like it was a little buffet and she couldn't decide which she liked most.

17. babyg

babyg Well-Known Member

I was actually concerned if the 1.5 might be a smidge too much if she decides to give me a harder time eating tonight, especially if she's already in blues which is awesome but so long as she continues to eat. I'm probably envisioning worst case scenarios that really shouldn't be likely to happen since she's already been showing improvements and eating more and more. I'm just the worst worry-wart ever and am so risk-averse and yes, I'd rather she be higher like you said. But then I don't want to overreact and be stupid lol.

18. babyg

babyg Well-Known Member

Edited to add: just tested and she's rising so I feel a little better now that she'll be ok if she gives me trouble again

19. babyg

babyg Well-Known Member

She hardly ate anything last night while I was sleeping. I'm concerned because of course her BG is higher now and I dont want DKA next. I don't know whether to take another day today to stay home or what....I'd like to just get work over with since it's just one more day. I'm just so frustrated with this eating situation.

20. babyg

babyg Well-Known Member

Got her to eat about 3/4ths can Fancy Feast salmon. How do you know when they're ready to get their normal dose, when you can trust them to eat enough, for anyone with pancreatic kitties? Is it when they eat most or all their food without your urging them at all? Or even if you urge them, as long as they eat "enough?" Her regular vet should be in today so hoping to talk to her later and update her on things thus far.

21. babyg

babyg Well-Known Member

I need to make a new thread but in a rush so can get to work...I'm not trusting her yet so not changing anything, don't worry lol, but definitely wondering how to tell when it's time. I posted my question in my other thread in the main forum since it's more of a pancreatitis issue. Fingers crossed she eats while I'm at work!