? 04/17/22 MICIO: AMPS 184 / 130@ +3.25 / 165@ +5.5 / 216@ +3 / PMPS 256 / 208@ +3

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA), Apr 17, 2022.

1. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA) Member

YESTERDAY: AMPS 143 / 98@ +3 / 93@ +5.5 / 118@ +9 / PMPS 133 / 100@ +3 / 105@ +5.75

QUESTION: if BG's suddenly rise due to, for example, an infection, would you "temporarely" increase insulin dose 'till problem has been taken care of?

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. You would just follow TR as written and increase according to the directions. Once the infection responds to antibiotics you then might see quick reductions earned.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  3. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

Not sure what's going on but Micio had a fast decline in the last 2 days, taking him to the vet tomorrow and hopefully will found out soon. Based on his symptoms (lethargy, not drinking as much at all, yellowish eye discharge, bad breath and slobbering- nausea type of symptoms) I'm thinking some sort of infection somewhere....hard to tell as he's still very hungry and eat well and don't see anything wrong inside his mouth neither ...
    I don't think it's acromegaly related either; I understand ups and downs with it but this seems different.
    So, if I'm understanding correctly, I should increase by .25u per TR on next shot?

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

It's been more than 10 cycles since you first saw green at the dose, and nadirs have been fairly high recently. Yes, you have room for an increase. Now, because he's at 7U you can increase by 0.5U if you'd like (dose changes are 10-15% of the total dose). But looking at his spreadsheet, he seems to do ok with the 0.25U "fine tuning" increments, so it's really up to you.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I too would take a .50 increase.

6. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

I'll take one more reading before night meal in 1-1/2 hour but I have the feeling his numbers will continue to rise, something is pretty off with him and I don't think is just a temporary acromegaly related flare up
    I'll keep this updated. Thank you guys

FrostD likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Poor Micio. I hope the vet can help out. What is his resting heart rate like?

8. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

Just got a 28-29 but getting ready to eat night meal so, he gets a bit exited. Will misure again when he's more calm

9. Wendy&Neko

28-29 is a good range when active, so that's one less thing to worry about. The word "lethargy" worries me, but there are all sorts of causes.

If you are thinking upper respiratory, you can put him in a bathroom with a steamy shower for 10-15 minutes to help clear him out.

10. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

Funny thing is that he started sneezing couple of weeks ago and was having only watery eyes but now, in the last 2 days he stopped sneezing and he has yellowish discharge from his eye (eyes are not red or anything inside)...I'm not even quite sure what a ur infection looks like as my cats never had any

11. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

UPDATE ON MICIO: went to the vet yesterday, not as lethargic as he was in the last couple of days but BP was high (214/112) so Dr. added Amlodipine. No signs of infection in the mouth or eyes but, because of the symptoms Micio had recently (including lethargy and sudden bg's increase), Dr. also prescribed Clavamox for at least 10 days for possible infection somewhere.
    Micio was acting better yesterday and his bg's came down to good range already; I shot him 7.5u this morning @ 94amps, we'll see how he does...
    Hopefully adding Clavamox wasn't for nothing...this furry guy is driving me insane though :nailbiting:
    QUESTION! I'm currently giving Micio the meds in this order for the next 10 days: Dr. said I can give Benazepril and Amlodipine together but worried it may cause dizziness...Would you change anything on this schedule or is this adequate?
    6AM: Insulin + Clavamox 62.5Mg + Benazepril 2.5Mg
    9AM: CBD oil
    LUNCH: Amlodipine 1/2 tablet of 2.5Mg + Ursodiol
    6PM: Insulin + Clavamox 62.5Mg

12. Wendy&Neko

Good to hear Micio is feeling better already. Bummer about the high BP but I'm glad you caught it. The antiobiotic usually takes a couple days to work but it's good to see he's back to his green self already.

Has Micio had Clavamox before? (personally not a fan of antiobiotics without knowing there's an infection). Anyway, sometimes kitties get upset tummies on AB's, they can destroy the good tummy flora. If you have some around, I'd add a probiotic, a couple hours apart from when you give the antibiotic. Perhaps at lunch, you can usually just mix it in with food. And if you do a before bed snack, you can do some again there.

13. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

I don't like antibiotics neither unless there's a very good reason for it; always been worried about the comment that the dentist that performed Micio's dental surgery made on the biopsies findings: the type of bacteria they found that caused the infection is a tough one and may come back and antibiotic like Clavamox may help to fight it.... he still drooling a bit though and that is not normal but hard to tell why cause no signs of infection on his mouth and he's hungry and eat well all the times.
    Micio was on Clavamox after the dental surgery in February, only the last couple of days he had some loose stools. He takes pro/prebiotics in every meals (Healthy Gut) but when taking antibiotics I switch to Gut Soothe sometimes.
    I started him on Amlodipine at lunch time today, he seems a bit off/dizzy now but hopefully it'll be just in the beginning.

14. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Your medicine schedule seems reasonable. I hope he will do all right. Very good that you took him in and they caught the high BP. Darcy took Benazepril and Amlodipine at the same time without troubles... but I think your cautious plan is very reasonable. So they didn't actually take blood and see if his white count was high? But the drooling? I hope he will not have problems on the Clavamox (since he took it before it should be much the same as last time.) Get better soon, Micio!

15. Suzanne & Darcy

Mild diarrhea can be a side effect of ursodiol. Plus he has IBD. Not too sure about the drooling. Does he get Cerenia? That can be a side effect. Could be other meds that he takes. Hopefully not the dental/jaw infection.

16. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

Micio has been taking Ursodiol for a few years, no issues there. The drooling is not 24/7 and I'm trying to pay attention when exactly. No signs of infection in his mouth, but I do fear another infection somewhere between his sinus and upper teeth...hope I'm wrong.
    Micio is schedule for another BP check up in 5 weeks and a senior/complete blood work on June 14th but if he doesn't improve soon I will definitely ask for further tests before then ...Thank you for mentioning that.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  17. Suzanne & Darcy

I think he’s going to feel better. Paws crossed anyway!