? 05/09/22 MICIO: AMPS 178 / 243@ +3 / 268@ +5.5 / 333@ +9 / PMPS 379 / 366@ +9 / 363@ +5.65

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA), May 10, 2022.

1. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA) Member

Yesterday: AMPS 135 / 95@ +2.5 / 61@ +5.5 / 91@ +9 / pmps 118 / 95@ +3 / 125@ +5.75

Micio's going through another big infection in his mouth, again. Just stopped Clavamox a bit over a week ago and now his bottom mouth/jaw is all swelling. Taking him to regular vet in the morning and again to the dentist/ oral surgeon on Wednesday...I'm afraid he may need another surgery and don't know he's going to make it through again. He's eating but not everything and can barely drink cause he is in so much pain.
    His numbers spiked to the roof and, on top of everything, I messed it all up with a partial furshot this AM. Despite the PM shot went ok still, didn't seem to affect his numbers much at all.

What should I do for next shot, keep the same or increase amount of insulin? We're currently at 7.5u
    @tiffmaxee , @Suzanne & Darcy
    Thanks

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Poor Micio. :bighug::bighug::bighug: Neko had some mouth swelling from soft tissue growth (and also a growth on her jaw bone) from acromegaly, but it never got infectious.

If he's having surgery tomorrow, they'll likely want him to have just a half dose tomorrow morning which will mess things up again. Those ugly numbers are partly due to the fur shot, the effect of which can come in later cycles. And with that blue you just entered, I see he's getting over that fur shot. I'd stick with the same dose for the moment.

4. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

I don't know if he's getting surgery or not, I'll find out tomorrow when I'll take him to the dentist. The regular dentist this morning just took a quick look but rather not to do or gave him anything today so the dentist will get to see the real situation and go from there...made sense to me too although, I hate seeing Micio in pain.
    At least he just ate, through the syringe but ok.

5. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

@Diane Tyler's Mom , @Wendy&Neko will keep an update in this post tomorrow.
    PS.: afraid to know but...what does it mean when a cat starts laying in front of the water bowl (even fall asleep in front of it) and keeps drinking?

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I don't know why he's doing that

7. Wendy&Neko

That can be an indication of nausea. Do you have ondansetron on hand? Or even Cerenia?

Did the dentist office say anything about insulin tomorrow? If not, you might want to call and ask. Neko's dentals they did the check in the morning and started doing dentals at noon so just one visit.

8. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

No problem Diane...I grow up hearing that when cats keep drinking and/or lay down right next to it is because they're dying. Really hope that's wrong.
    Micio did that for the first time last night and I was really worried.

9. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

I'll give him Cerenia (I believe 8mg once daily, right? Micio weights lb. 14.6). He's just going for an evaluation/visit tomorrow, then the dentist will determine what to do. Fingers cross it won't be another surgery. If that will be the case then we'll figured out insulin

10. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

Is Ondansetron better then Cerenia for nausea?
    Tnx

11. Wendy&Neko

1 mg/lb daily is the dose of the oral med for Cerenia. Can you give 12 mg? And yes, ondansetron is generally better for nausea. They target different nausea receptors. The downside to ondansetron is more frequent dosing, up to 3-4 times per day.

12. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

I actually happen to have the 24mg Cerenia box on hand so it will make it easier to just split in two. I can ask the vet for Ondansetron prescription too (I did try that years ago for my other cat but don't recall it helped her, but may be good for Micio though. Tnx

13. Wendy&Neko

Ondansetron is often under dosed, that could be why it didn't help as much.