? 05-24 Panzer PMPS 322/331@+3 VET VISIT ? ABOUT BATHING/300@+4/287@+7

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chrispooky12, May 24, 2022.

1. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

Panzer went to the vet today & they did a urinalysis on him. They sent it to Purdue university to get the results of the culture. Once I get the results back we will go from there on when to do bloodwork again.Fingers & paws crossed that he has no UTI. They said they should have the results back within 3-5 days. I'm supposed to take stool samples in for both Spook & Panzer 10 days after they are finished with the Metronidazole. They have tonight & tomorrow & they will be finished with it. I've been cleaning a little bit today & will be for the next few days. Panzer wasn't feeling well yesterday, he had to have fortiflora on all of his meals except the last one of the day. He checked out good for his exam & they said he actually cooperated with them for the urinalysis. I think he just wasn't feeling good due to being in high #s that he's not used to. Hopefully once this Metronidazole is out of his system his #s will come back down. So far (knock on wood) he hasn’t needed fortiflora today. Spook is doing good as well, I'm still using the Mirataz on his ear in the morning, but hopefully I can stop that in the next few days. I accidentally gave them there Metronidazole 4hrs early this morning. I'm loosing my mind here having 2 sick babies. I'm wanting to bathe them tomorrow but not sure if the stuff I got is safe for Panzer because he's diabetic. I used to use it all the time before he was diabetic. It's actually a dog shampoo because all of the cat ones have medication in them. It's called Oster oatmeal essentials extra soothing shampoo. The ingredients are purified water,a blend of coconut based cleansers,colloidal oatmeal for extra soothing ability, thickening agents,alo vera,chamomile extract,fragrance & preservatives. Is this safe? I used to have to wash his butt once a week before I found the FDMB & got his BG under control because he would have poop stuck to his butt because he was to fat to reach it to clean it. I used dial soap to do that & rinsed him really good after. What should I use?https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...stions-232-3-202-4-245-7.263417/#post-2952372

2. Chrispooky12

Panzer ate all of his meals today with no fortiflora :cool:

Suzanne & Darcy and tiffmaxee like this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Sorry but I don’t know not seems his diabetes would not make a difference if the soap worked before. The appetites should improve without metronidazole. I believe inappetence is a side effect.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I have no clue about the shampoo, never used any specialty shampoos on a diabetic cat.

In your previous post you wanted several of us to look here. Would have been better to tag us here cause otherwise we have to hunt to find this post.

6. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

The ingredients of the shampoo sound fine and I would definitely recommend using that one over the Dial soap (that stuff stinks and cats hate fragrance usually.). Hopefully, their appetites will return to normal after the Metronidazole is out of their system. Are you having any problems with it yourself? Did the slippery elm bark arrive yet? Post office said at least by Thursday. Now you will have to figure out how to use it - there are many different ways. I took some yesterday myself- although it was in a capsule.

Hopefully Panzer’s urine will be clear!! I feel kind of nervous about it, so I know you must be!

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  7. Chrispooky12

Okay there not going to like me but, they are getting a bath here very soon. No the metronidazole hasn't bothered me, has messed with my appetite. It tastes nasty even with a drink. No I haven't gotten the slippery elm yet, but are mail hasn't run yet today so it might still come today. I am very nervous about his UTI results & also whether or not this giardiasis is going to be gone. Can you put it in there food or does it have a taste to it?(the slippery elm)

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Christina
    I did a search here and found this posted by
    @Suzanne & Darcy
    See what she has to say but here it is
    From felinecrf.org....

Slippery Elm Bark Formulations

Loose Powder
    Ideally, you want organic or wild-crafted slippery elm bark powder from most good health food shops. See below for sources.

Capsules
    If you cannot find loose slippery elm bark, you can usually find capsules in a 350-400mg size. Try to ensure the capsules contain only pure slippery elm bark, no fillers, because it can be virtually impossible to make the syrup recipe from capsules containing anything other than slippery elm bark (it will not thicken).

Unfortunately it is difficult to find capsules that don't contain magnesium stearate because it is a glidant used in the manufacturing process (it helps the powder flow when the capsules are being filled). Magnesium stearate is safe for cats but may affect the thickening of the syrup, though some people have been able to make it successfully from such capsules. There is one US supplier below selling capsules containing slippery elm bark only.

Tinctures
    I would avoid tinctures because they often contain other ingredients, especially alcohol, though some members of my support group in the USA have managed to find one brand without alcohol.

Slippery Elm Bark Dosage

The usual dosage is:
    • 1/8 to 1/4 (0.125 - 0.25) of a teaspoon of the organic or wild-crafted slippery elm bark powder once or twice a day; or
    • one 350-400mg capsule a day. You can give these whole or open them and sprinkle on the cat's food once or twice a day.
    Most cats are given slippery elm bark daily, but some cats do not need it every day, so experiment and see what works best for your cat.

I open the capsules and sprinkle the slippery elm bark into my cat's food and mix it up, but slippery elm bark has a bittersweet flavour which some cats do not like. In that case, try giving it in a capsule, either the one it came in (though these may well be too big for the average cat) or, if you are using loose slippery elm bark, purchase gelcapsseparately for this purpose.

Some people have found their cat will eat slippery elm bark if it is mixed in a little baby food (make sure the baby food does not contain any onion).

Syrup Recipe
    You can also make slippery elm bark into a syrup that is used for digestive problems or for mouth sores or ulcers. It has the same soothing and healing effects in the mouth — try dabbing in your cat's mouth ulcers if required. The syrup is weaker than the straight powder, so you can give a little more of it. Some people have told me they find it hard to place the syrup on their cat's mouth ulcers if they are in hard-to-reach areas of the mouth. In such cases, you may wish to use a syringe to aim the syrup at the ulcers.

If you are using slippery elm bark decanted from capsules, you need pure slippery elm bark with no fillers, otherwise the syrup will usually not thicken properly.

Stovetop Method

• Take a stainless steel or heat-proof glass pan (not an aluminium or non-stick one).
    • Put one cup of cold water in the pan.
    • Sprinkle 1 to 1.5 tsp of slippery elm bark powder on to the water.
    • Let it sit until the powder is damp (this should not take too long), then bring to the boil stirring constantly.
    • Reduce the heat and simmer, still stirring constantly, until it thickens, about 3 minutes or so. It will be the consistency of watery egg whites.
    • Allow to cool and give ¼ - ½ (0.25 to 0.5) teaspoon up to 4 times a day.
    • This will keep at room temperature for a day or in the fridge for up to five days.
    Microwave Method
    For the non-cooks among us, one of my support group members came up with this method but it may not work with powdered slippery elm bark.
    • Take a glass container which holds two cups.
    • Put one cup of water in the cup.
    • Add 1 to 1.5 tsp of slippery elm bark powder.
    • Heat in the microwave on high for about 1.5 minutes.
    • Remove from the microwave and stir, then put it back in for about another 30 seconds.
    • Keep an eye on it because you do not want it to boil over.
    • Remove from the microwave and stir again.
    • Allow to cool and give ¼ - ½ (0.25 to 0.5) teaspoon up to 4 times a day.
    • This will keep at room temperature for a day or in the fridge for up to five days.
    Slippery Elm Bark: Where to Buy
    USA
    San Francisco Herb Co
    sells loose slippery elm bark powder at the best price I've found, US$22.20 per pound plus exact shipping cost, but their minimum order is for US$30. They will waive this on request and charge a US$7 small order fee instead; alternatively you could stock up on other products such as catnip.

Frontier Natural Products Co-Op sells loose slippery elm bark, in both organic and standard forms. You can also find Frontier products on Amazon.

Mountain Rose Herbs sell 4 oz of slippery elm bark powder for US$9.75.

Whole Foods Market sells slippery elm bark in bulk in its stores in USA and Canada.

Vitacost sells 4 oz of the NOW brand for US$9.00.

Iherb sells 4 oz of the NOW brand of slippery elm bark powder for US$8.99.

Iherb also sells 100 Christopher's Original Formula 400mg capsules without any fillers.

Vitamin Shoppe sells slippery elm bark capsules.

Swanson Vitamins sells its own brand 400mg slippery elm bark capsules for US$3.49 for 60.

Canada
    Amazon Canada
    sells a 1 lb bag of Starwest Botanicals organic slippery elm bark powder for CAN$59.99.

Slippery Elm Bark: Cautions
    PennState Hershey states that slippery elm bark can inhibit the absorption of other medications or supplements. It is therefore best to give it 1-2 hours before or after any other medications (especially antibiotics), and ideally on an empty stomach, although it is safe to sprinkle it on food if you wish.

Slippery elm bark also contains calcium, so it is probably safer not to use it if your cat has hypercalcaemia.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  9. Suzanne & Darcy

Perfect, Diane. Thanks. I am out and about today (doc appointment and kid stuff) but am just checking in. You’re great!

10. Chrispooky12

Thank you Diana

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  11. Chrispooky12

I got the slippery elm in the mail, thank you again.

12. Suzanne & Darcy

You're welcome. Now if you can only get it in them! Anyway, it's good to keep on hand. They've been so picky about their food lately that who knows?!

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  13. Chrispooky12

Panzer & Spook both got baths. They both did great, I had to hold Spook a couple of different times after his bath because he was furiously chasing his tail & I didn't want my poor boy to have a heart attack. The cat room is completely cleaned with new litter boxes set up. I had do shot time an hour late because Panzer was still pretty wet.I will give it to him 30mins earlier tomorrow. I'm washing cat blankets right now, then my bedding. I have to clean the floor in the living room & dining room everything else I wiped down with clorox bleach wipes. So basically I have to do the same in my bedroom & clean the kitchen counters,refrigerator, stove top & those 2 floors & I think we are good. They have there last dose of the metronidazole @+4 PMPS. This crap better be gone because this is alot of work & my poor boys need to get better & momma needs a break!

14. Chrispooky12

I accidentally left Panzers insulin out this morning for about 2hrs hopefully it will still be good

15. Suzanne & Darcy

It does have a taste.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  16. Suzanne & Darcy

When will Panzer’s results be back?

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  17. Chrispooky12

They sent them on Tuesday so hopefully tomorrow. I'm anxious & scared. If he does still have one I wonder what the next course of action will be taken. Is he resistant to every antibiotic? Is there another one to try? I pray for good results. They are done with the metronidazole, last night was there last dose. His #s are coming down. He was at 155 before @7.5 PMPS feeding. Of course he's going to drop at bedtime. He just ate & will be right beside in bed though. They both ate great today all day. Spook had mirataz @+2 AMPS, I'm hoping to quit using it this weekend. I gave them the last Cerenia in a box. We have one more box, hoping to not have to give them anymore unless absolutely necessary. It seems like they've been on it forever. My spreadsheet tells it all. I put all of that stuff in my remarks so I can look back at it & so you & anyone else can see how Panzer & Spook are doing. We will be back on are normal schedule with his shot tomorrow. I don't know if you saw the comment that I made about there baths yesterday.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  18. Suzanne & Darcy

Well, we will anxiously await the culture results! Glad you got them all bathed. You must be tired of all the cleaning, too! All three of you need a break!

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  19. Chrispooky12

Yes hopefully they will call today! Yes we do all need a break. I'm not working today because I'm feeling off. It's probably from all if the cleaning & lack of sleep, & I haven't been eating right. I just ate & I'm drinking some caffeine so hopefully that will make me feel better. My son told me to go to the ER, I'm not leaving my boys with no one to take care of them though.

20. Chrispooky12

I haven't put mirataz on Spooks ear since Friday. He has decided today that he doesn't want to eat. I've gotten him to eat about half of the 3 meals that he has had today with fortiflora & +8 AMPS I had to break out the parmesan cheese. I will be putting mirataz on his ear @+10 AMPS & will skip it tomorrow as long as he is eating & put it on again on Wednesday.

21. Chrispooky12

I gave the boys 2 tablespoons of the broth in there food from Panzer's chicken breast that I boiled tonight. They both loved it. Is this safe? @Suzanne & Darcy

22. Diane Tyler's Mom

Yes Chicken broth is safe , just plain broth NO ONIONS , Salt, but I'm sure you didn't add anything to it when you boiled the chicken breasts for Panzer
    No news yet on the culture yet?
    I hope you're feeling better , less exhausted :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  23. Chrispooky12

Just plain chicken thank you. I'm hoping to hear back on the culture today. Yes I'm feeling much better :bighug::bighug::bighug:

24. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. All you did was boil the chicken, right? Nothing else added? If so, that’s about the best chicken broth you can give your cat! I hope they enjoyed it.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  25. Chrispooky12

Yep just boiled it. Good to know & they love it!

26. Suzanne & Darcy

Urine culture results back this week?

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  27. Chrispooky12

Haven't heard from them yet. I will check my email real quick.

28. Chrispooky12

I emailed you

29. Suzanne & Darcy

Well, so far so good. No growth at 24 hours. But it's been a lot more than 24 hours now, so I hope they will be able to send you further report(s) soon! That was dated 5/27... so now that it's Tuesday and the long weekend is over and everybody is back to work... I hope they'll be able to send you something. I'll feel a lot better when they tell you (because I'm REALLY hoping that it's all negative!) Does he seem use the litter box normally now?

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  30. Chrispooky12

Yes he is using it normally now. It said they were waiting on the rest of it. Fingers & paws crossed it will be negative as well!

31. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. I saw that. It was nice of them to send you the preliminary culture results. Fingers, toes, paws, and anything else we can cross for Panzer!

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  32. Chrispooky12

I just emailed you the final results. I think we can celebrate now! @Suzanne & Darcy

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  33. Suzanne & Darcy

Hooray. I feel like jumping up and down. This has been a LONG time in coming! SO HAPPY for you and dear Panzer.:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:
    Good job hanging in there through all of this cat mama!

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  34. Diane Tyler's Mom

Wonderful Wonderful news Christina about Panzer !:bighug::bighug::bighug::cat:

Chrispooky12 and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  35. Chrispooky12

Yes it has:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin: now we just have to get past the giardiasis. I will be taking in samples of there stools on Friday :cat:

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  36. Chrispooky12

Yes I know so so happy :bighug::cat: hopefully the giardiasis is gone as well.