05/24 Teja AMPS >400, +4 >400

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Malia, May 24, 2024.

1. Malia

Malia Member

5/23: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/05-23-teja-amps-400-4-400.290346/

Is this truly a bounce? Or could this be something else? Maybe she isn't responding to the insulin like she did on 05/21. It just seems like it is working less and less. I just switched her insulin syringes to a better quality syringe with half unit markings. Maybe I am just not measuring it right. She is miserable with these higher numbers and it just doesn't seem like this bounce is ending.

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

This AM was the 6th cycle after the one in green. Give her today to see if she does anything on the bounce clearing front and if she doesn't take her up to 3U tomorrow morning.

Malia likes this.
  3. Malia

Malia Member

So my vet thinks that Teja is either suffering from steroid withdrawal or her kidneys are having some issues. She is eating a bit less (but still eating). So I gave her some mirataz (transdermal ear ointment) on 05/22 and 05/23 to encourage her to eat a bit more. I read that mirataz can cause hyperglycemia or worsen glycemic control in diabetics. Could this be why Teja's numbers are just so horrible right now? I looked up enticing a kitty to eat in the stickies and mirtazapine and cyproheptidine are mentioned, is that because they are considered safe-ish? I am just trying to figure out what is happening with Teja. Nothing has changed other than adding the mirataz.

I just don't understand what her spreadsheet is doing. It is like on the 22nd, her insulin just didn't work, then on the 23rd, it worked less. Is her dose just not working? Is this how it looks for some people? I know every cat is different, but is this even looking normal at all? I am just so scared.

4. Malia

Malia Member

Thank you so much Bhooma. Have you ever used mirataz transdermal gel? Does it affect glucose? I have read that it does. I used it on the 22nd and the 23rd. Could this be causing this yucky glucose increase?

5. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the Mirataz affects BG. And I think it's safe to give. Here is more info:
    https://felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm#mirtazapine

It's not unusual for a cat that has yet to get to a good dose, to give a good reaction to an increase, and for the good numbers to then disappear. Insulin is a hormone and not a drug. Don't be disheartened. Just work your way up in dosing till you hit a breakthrough dose.

Malia likes this.
  6. Malia

Malia Member

Thank you for this! I love Tanya's site. There are so many parts of that site that I have bookmarked. Teja's sister Vayu had CKD prior to Teja being diagnosed with it. And my Akasha (who was almost 22 when she passed) also had CKD. This site a favorite of mine. I did a quick search and it looks like mirtazapine has been used to treat steroid withdrawal symptoms in humans. So this is a plus on top of everything else.

You teach me so much. Thank you. I had no idea. I honestly thought that I was doing something wrong and that's why the good numbers weren't staying longer. I know that we have a lot of conditions and her diet isn't optimal. I have been reading other people's stories and posts, about how they changed their diets and 6 weeks later OTJ. That is a dream for us. I honestly would just be happy to get my Teja into blues a bit more consistently and get this managed so she can feel good again.

Thank you again Bhooma. Each time I hear from you, I feel a bit better. Like I am not totally failing at this. Like we might just get through this. That is my hope.

Thank you <3

Staci & Ivy and Bandit's Mom like this.