05/24 Zach AMPS 421, +2 356, +4 356, +6, 347, +7 338, +10 319, PMPS 185

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lamanda, May 25, 2024.

1. Lamanda

Lamanda New Member

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Lamanda
    I can tag a few members for you to answer you question
    One think I see you said on your previous post which you linked was

Unfortunately with my work schedule, I can't test him at +5, +6 during the week. I can certainly do that on the weekends though. I will start to do a before bed test as well and that would give me at least3 BG levels each day

You need to get a before bed test at night please
    Did you get another test after that 185 last night ?
    I think you should have posted and asked before shooting 1 unit , a member might have suggested otherwise.
    Do you have the U-100 syringes with the half unit markings?
    We adjust the doses by 0.25 units at a time

Please start getting a pre Shot test again at night before you give Zach his insulin

Last edited: May 25, 2024
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

4. Lamanda

Lamanda New Member

I admit that I slacked off on the PMPS - got too relaxed with the higher numbers I was seeing. yesterday's curve is my wakeup call. I do not have half unit markings, this makes it very difficult to measure 0.25 U.

I felt comfortable giving a token 1u dose last night based on all of my previous data that I've collected and how he responds and also based on the fact that he eats the most food during evening and over night (free feeding). But yes I regret that I didn't check again before bed.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

In the US, you can get 1/2 unit marked syringes at Walmart. This Sticky Note on the top of this forum lists a bunch of other 1/2 unit marked syringe brands:
    Insulin Care & Syringe Info: Proper Handling, Drawing, Fine Dosing

Without tests being done in the PM, I wouldn't be confident he's not going lower at night. Many cats go lower at night. A before bed test, if you can get one 2-3 hours after the shot, is a great habit to get into. Wash face, brush teeth, poke cat, turn out the lights.:)
    All the time, my cat liked to nadir late. But I had enough +1 data to know what her numbers would do after she ate and it became quite easy to shoot low.

Looking at the data from last night, I would have double checked that 185. It's very uncommon for cats to drop 130 points in two hours at the end of the cycle like that.

6. Lamanda

Lamanda New Member

When you say double checked, do you mean checking his BG again right away? Is it possible for the monitor to read incorrectly?

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I typically suggest, like Wendy, that if you get a reading -- either high or low -- that seems out of sync with the rest of the cycle, that you re-test. There could be an error with either the meter or the strip.

Lamanda likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If you don't get enough blood on the strip, some brands will show a lower result.

Lamanda likes this.