05/31 Blue AMPS 158 [vet did not give insulin] PMPS 214 +8 135

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jodey&Eddie&Blue, May 31, 2023.

1. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

Good morning. Here is link to yesterday's 911

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...ri-really-need-some-help.278100/#post-3076092

Today, I called the clinic and am waiting.

I brought him to the clinic @ 2:30am and got out of there at 4:30am. Blue is still there. I just spoke to the vet nurse who said Blue had peed twice since then (approximately 40ml and 35ml) so no blockage. He is being evaluated this morning by the incoming vet so will know more in a few hours. They did not give him insulin nor have they fed him (they said BG 158). I said I would have given him insulin. I asked if they'd checked for ketones; she said they had not so I asked her to do that.

She also said Blue seemed a bit spacey, probably not yet recovered from yesterday's procedure. I got about 4.5 hours sleep and I'm waiting to hear if we will be staying another night away from home. I hope not.

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jodey, I've been following along , I'm glad there is no blockage ,that's a relief.
    I hope Blu perks up today and you can get home.
    Sorry you both are going through this , keep us updated :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Blue is able to pee. I hope they let him go soon so you can go home. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

So, update: Spoke with vet. Ketones 0. He has also peed again, twice. The vet feels relatively confident there's no obstruction but there might, she says, be a UTI so they are doing a urinalysis in addition to a blood panel, which never hurts.

So, I've asked to be contacted asap re: the results of both. They were hesitant to feed him in case he needed to have a catheter installed. She's given him an anti-spasmodic in case his bladder needed to relax a bit.

It's 50-50 right now about staying or getting to go home. Once the test results are in, I should know what to do. The point is to keep Blue safe. I do hope we can go home. Regardless of the staying or leaving, I'm on the hook for the hotel even if I leave as they've given me the extra day.

I hope we can go home.

Thanks everyone for your support!!! :cat::):bighug::bighug:

5. Don & Xena

Don & Xena Member

Taking him was definitely the right decision. Even if you went in there and they said everything’s fine and you were out of there and he went home with you in 30 minutes. It would be worth your peace of mind.
    It was pretty obvious that you weren’t going to be able to decompress with all the “what if’s” in your mind. Not many of us would be able to. Thank you for keeping us posted. I hope and pray all goes well with Blue, and you get to sleep in your own bed tonight.

6. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

That decompression element —or lack thereof—was pressing. Thank you for your kind words. I’m going to try to have a nap. Sleep deprivation ramps things up. :)

Don & Xena likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Is the clinic giving him his desmo or steroids? Just asking cause of the debacle with the insulin. When Neko was in Canada West, I did the PS test and shots.

8. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Yes he is getting all other meds. What do you mean you did the PS test and shots? I would do that but they had him on no food….in case they needed to do the catheter….so no insulin. I should get a clear sense of what’s going on by 2:00 or so.

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you for the update, I hope you can go home soon . Sending lots of hugs,:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Try and get a nap in while you can :cat:

10. Wendy&Neko

With no food you can still do a half or token dose. Insulin is used for more than just countering the carbs in food. But hopefully it's moot and he'll be out later today. When Neko was in Canada West, they weren't contemplating surgery, so could have her food. She just wasn't eating much, so there were a couple skips in there.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  11. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Ok, everyone, Blue can be released. I had a long and detailed discussion with the vet. I will update with the details here but for now I'm going to pack and pick up Blue across town in about an hour and we can head back home. She's going to give him a snack and some sub-q fluids. Apparently, he's peeing so no need to go to catheter. Big relief. She's recommending a decrease in his Thyroxine and a follow-up blood panel and fructosamine test in the next week. She's doing a urine culture as well and results are forthcoming. There's more but I've got to get going.

Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate all the support.

12. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Thank you!! Got a good solid 1.5 hour deep zone nap. Vet call woke me up and we can go home! See below. Thank you!!!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  13. Wendy&Neko

Yeah! Safe travels. I hope you get out before rush hour traffic.:bighug:

14. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad you can take Blue home. Sending more prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

I've no doubt they helped immensely. Thank you, Carla!!

16. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Jodey , I'm sure you're home already, I hope both of you can get some sleep tonight. You have to be exhausted . :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

17. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

We just made it home about 45 minutes ago, just in time for BG test, insulin, medications (now including for the time being: analgesic Buprenorphine, when needed and Prazosin to prevent spasm of the urethra). I stopped on the highway along the way and Blue had a good-sized snack and used the kitty box 3 x times while on the road.

You are so right about being tired! I've just got to the point of tipping over in being so tired I'm not tired anymore (an illusion). It took us 5 hours to get home (big traffic getting out of Vancouver) but we made it and Blue is happily sitting on his little rug after having dinner. We go next week for tests. All would be well if we weren't facing that demon acromegaly again. But we've taken it on before and we'll do it again.

Thank you for checking in on us!!

18. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

It took us 5 hours (!). Perhaps two of those hours were from Van to Chilliwack. I could never do that every day...Phew. So, we have Buprenophrine and Prazosin for urethra spasms. Blue is happy to be home. So am I!!

Now we just have to see what comes next. Thanks for checking in on us!!

19. Diane Tyler's Mom

5 hours to get home , I could never keep my eyes open, you are amazing!
    I'm so happy that Blue is eating good and peed 3x while on the road .
    Aww he's on his little rug eating his din din :p
    Like you said you have taken that demon on before and will do it again .
    Go get some sleep soon :bighug::bighug::bighug::cat:

20. Wendy&Neko

My civvie with cystitis also took prazosin one time he had a bad flair, along with buprenorphine. They really helped him get over it quickly. Your vet may have some ideas on things to give longer term to help prevent this from happening again. I found low phosphorus low carb food with plenty of water added really helped (as per Dr. Lisa of catinfo.org). I also gave Cosequin and/or hyaluronic acid and used Feliways whenever he was in a stressful situation.

As for the acro demon, his dose is pretty steady right now and not climbing rapidly, so tumour is steady and you probably have some time to decide next steps and where.

I hope you both sleep well tonight.

21. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

I set alarm for PM +8 and am pleasantly surprised at how deeply I slept. I also woke up 2 mins before the alarm. I'll take all of these suggestions to the IM vet here, Wendy, thanks.
    Blue get low phos low carb and H2O, so I just want to have him stable again. He looks like he slept well, too (the bup, perhaps?).

22. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Very happy to hear it all turned out ok and you are home. Can imagine how happy Blue is to be home.