06/02 - Shen - AMPS 102, +1 94, +11 74, PMPS 76, +2.5 95, +4 84

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nimi S, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Nimi S

Nimi S Member

Link to previous condo - https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/06-01-shen-amps-124-2-75-4-74-6-81-pmps-75-6-5-111.278138/

Shen did ok yesterday night other than throwing up his HC snack at +2. I asked my mom to feed 3 tsps of his normal LC food with some creamy HC treat on top.

His BG was 111 when I came back at +6.5. It has dropped/ stayed the same since then I guess, which is unusual for his AMPS but then yesterday was a different night, so that could have contributed. And I also don’t take tests post +6, so I don’t actually know.

Today I have to leave in another 45 minutes and I’m not sure when I’ll be back today. I’ve asked mom to feed his usual LC every 1/1.5 and to top it up with some HC treat @ +3/+4. She also has to head out at +6, by which time Shen will hopefully have flattened.

2. Nimi S

Nimi S Member

Tagging @Bandit's Mom
    Before I leave I might see if I can teach my mom to test so that she can do one at +2. But feeding every hour should also do the trick I guess.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

How is the other kitty?

Don't stress about testing. Just have your mother feed some HC at +2 and then normal LC after.

Nimi S likes this.
  4. Nimi S

Nimi S Member

Masti, my friend’s cat, went into surgery a while ago. It’s a cystotomy and a perineal urethrostomy too. As of now, the doctor informed that his bladder, although leathery and thick, is still healthy and has scope to improve post surgery. He had a UTI and was blocked and so was catheterised for the past 2 weeks, but wasn’t getting any better, so had to opt for surgery since blockages get ugly pretty quick :(

Thanks for checking, Bhooma :)

Will do this. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  5. Bandit's Mom

Poor Masti! Paws crossed! :nailbiting: My civvie Budge was blocked once 3 years back. Fortunately the vet was able to express her bladder and get her going. Cats need to be on a wet food diet but no vet tells us that from the get-go. Dry food is cheaper and so much more convenient!

Let us know how it goes?

Nimi S likes this.
  6. Nimi S

Nimi S Member

Poor Budge. From what I’ve read so far, urinary blockages are very painful. Glad to know Budge recovered fine :bighug:

Yep, and I’ve only come to know about the dry versus wet thing thanks to Shen’s diabetes. Masti has a history of UTI but the vet just prescribed antibiotics and a dry urinary prescription diet. Gave no suggestions to try transitioning to wet food.
    My friend has 6 cats and 4 of them are male. She’s going to try transitioning all to a raw diet now to begin with. They all turn up their noses at wet food, dry addicts that they are. Huge task ahead.
    I’ve shared the link to Dr. Lisa’s website with my friend.

I will :)

I grabbed a +1 test and fed Shen his usual snack before stepping out the door. Today will hopefully be easier to manage than yesterday night.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  7. Bandit's Mom

No food bump. Did you feed some HC at +1? If not, ask your mom to feed some now?

Good luck! :bighug:

8. Nimi S

Nimi S Member

Yes, I topped it with some HC creamy treat. That usually is enough to bring him up a bit.

He didn’t react too well to the HC snack yesterday night. I’m not sure if my mom fed a little too much for him to throw up.
    So I’ve asked her to feed LC with some treat to top at +2 and +4. And just the LC at +3, +5 and +6.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  9. Bandit's Mom

Sounds like a good feeding plan :)

10. Nimi S

Nimi S Member

Both the surgeries went well :)
    We got him home about 2 hours ago. He’s sleeping right now. Next few days will be crucial as he learns to pee the new way.
    The vet clinic was super nice..they made little booties from cotton and gauze to keep Masti’s paws warm after the anesthesia. Hope he recovers quickly.

Meanwhile mom’s holding the fort at home with Shen.

11. Bandit's Mom

Yay! This great news. What a relief! :)

Nimi S likes this.
  12. Nimi S

Nimi S Member

Shen’s urinalysis was clear, there’s Occasional bacteria, so the earlier report was a false alarm. Unless the culture report throws something up.

ETA: I thought occasional meant within the normal range but the Internet says that occasional could also indicate early stages of an infection :banghead: Maybe the culture results will throw more light.

Shen stole 3 pieces of fried mackerel between +6 and +8 while my mom had gone out. He generally doesn’t do this but he does like cooked fish.

I’ll take him to the vet once I get the culture reports and observe his circling behaviour for a couple of days more.
    Should I repeat his blood work since he doesn’t seem to be having a UTI but something else?

On a different note, Masti got up and tried to walk around but he’s still wonky from the anaesthesia and post-surgery effects. We’re all still very nervous but the vet is very nice and responsive, and my friend is experienced at administering subq fluids, so hoping that he recovers soon :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023