06/04 Misty PMPS 50 +2 59 AMPS 92 +14 58

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by rowena, Jun 3, 2023.

1. rowena

rowena Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/02-04-misty-amps-328-6-295-pmps-259-3-247.273787/

@Bron and Sheba (GA) , @tiffmaxee, anyone, please help me.

I don’t know what to do. I fear I’m reaching the end of the line with Misty. She hasn’t eaten normally in almost a week. It’s been a battle. she’s been low too, I guess because she isn’t eating enough. I skipped her shot last night (3u Lantus). We went to the vet on Friday for her synovan shot and her teeth are bad but I don’t think that’s the problem. She’ll eat cooked chicken tenderloins and she’s eaten some of some things, mostly her ff salmon, but this morning she won’t eat that. When she’s felt sick in the past she will associate a food with the nausea and then not eat it again. I know you’ll say to try anti nausea meds but I can’t Medicate her. I don’t want this to be the end. We had a lovely time in the sun on Friday but we were disturbed and it ended too soon. Worst of all, my daughter has an important swim meet today and I’m supposed to be out until about 3pm. I am so torn. I don’t know whether to skip the shot again or give her a low dose. I’m having trouble testing her because i can only do it while she’s eating. We are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Thanks for listening

edit: she ate a couple of mouthfuls about an hour ago. I cooked some chicken and managed to just rest her and she’s 9 or 162

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Her bg is low enough to skip since you can’t monitor. How long before you need to leave? See if the bg rises and what others say. I’m sorry she’s not eating. I’m having that problem with one of mine and it’s so darn hard.

rowena likes this.
  3. rowena

rowena Member

Thanks so much. I have to leave in an hour. Not sure if she’ll let me test again but I will try.

I will leave the 911 up until I leave in case someone else has something to add, if that’s ok. I don’t want to annoy the people who’ve helped me so much.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

rowena likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You won’t annoy me. It’s your kitty and you are looking for answers. You have every right to want more than one opinion and this is serious which is why I said see what others think. :bighug: I too have a sick cat at the moment and am quite worried because she won’t eat.

6. Wendy&Neko

Rowena, is Misty OK? The GA prefix is for when cats have passed on, Gone Ahead or become Guardian Angels.

7. rowena

rowena Member

Sorry I did that in a hurry. I will fix it.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Rowena. I am sorry Misty is not eating.
    @Wendy&Neko, Rowena is in Australia and not many vets, as far as I am aware, use ondansetron. My vet had not heard of it for cats when I asked for it for Sheba a few years ago. Maybe Rowena could ask for a cerenia injection if the vet has not heard of ondansetron…or she could tell the vet about ondansetron. My vet prescribed it once he read up about it.
    Failing all that, It might be worth while going back to the vet and asking him if the teeth could be the problem. Otherwise an fPL spec test to test for pancreatitis might be a good idea.
    What did you decide to do int he end about the dose?

rowena likes this.
  9. Wendy&Neko

rowena likes this.
  10. rowena

rowena Member

I didn’t give her any insulin this morning. I will test her when I get home if I can. I will make a vet appointment and discuss all of this. I’m thinking if it’s her teeth, then her BG would be high, but then again if she isn’t eating it goes low. I don’t know whether to do the teeth or have her sedated and blood tested. They could not test her blood without sedation. What is the treatment for pancreatitis?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  11. Wendy&Neko

rowena likes this.
  12. rowena

rowena Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA) @tiffmaxee @Wendy&Neko

I’ve just got home and she’s 23.2 or 418. Shall I give her a shot and how much? She’s eating a bit of chicken but hasn’t eaten all day.
    Her normal shot is 3u.
    Thanks so much :)

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes I would give her some insulin. If you can monitor her and you think you will be able to test her I would try 2 units if she is not eating much food.
    I would also go to the vet tomorrow and ask for a cerenia injection and see if he will give you some ondansetron. You can get the 4 mg wafers here from the chemist...you just need a vet prescription, and you can break the wafer in half and put it on her tongue. It will dissolve. Just make sure youe hands are dry or it will stick to them.

rowena likes this.
  14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Are you testing for ketones? If not I would get some ketostix from the chemist and try and test her urine for ketones as a precaution.
    If she is being really picky with food, give her what ever she will eat.

rowena likes this.
  15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Treatment is management really until the symptoms subside. So pain relief, antinausea meds and sub Q fluids if she is dehydrated. If necessary she could go in daily for injections of pain and antinausea relief and the subQ fluids if she wont let you do it. Sheba used to get pancreatic flares and usually settled down quickly with some pain and antinausea meds

rowena likes this.
  16. rowena

rowena Member

I hope your cat improves. Misty is ok this evening. She’s high but that’s to be expected after missing 2 doses. I gave her 2u this afternoon and will see how she is 12 hrs after that. She was 23.2 before the 2u and is 22.3 5 hours later. Being high makes her eat more or at least attempt it. It’s awful when they won’t eat. I’ve had a thyroid boy, 2ckd girls (one had seizures unrelated to ckd) and a cancer girl. I’ve exhausted all options with all of them and it’s only bought us weeks or a few months (except the thyroid boy - he had years and he was FIV+ too). I don’t know if I’m strong enough to do it with Misty. It’s so distressing. Sorry to rant. It’s been a tough week. All the best to your cat for a speedy recovery.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
  17. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It’s fine to rant…we all understand.
    Misty is lucky to have you. This is probably just a little bump in the road and will get better:bighug:

rowena likes this.