06-06 Panzer PMPS 269/273@+3/266@+4/246@+6/ 254@+8 still not feeling good

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chrispooky12, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

Panzer gave me a little scare last night he hit a blue @+4 PMPS when I checked him before feeding. I decided to check him @+6 PMPS & he was 80, he hasn't been in the greens in quite sometime & it scared me a bit. I gave him 2tsps of food & tested again @+7 he was still in the green but raising up. Today his high # of the day was 304, I don't like these high numbers. He still isn't feeling well he has been eating but only 2 full meals. His first full meal was today @ +8.5 I layed out a smorgasbord for him. He ended up eating the weruva Topsy turvy chicken & turkey pate. I was like good may e I can switch them over to weruva now. I tried to give the rest of it @ PMPS feeding but nope he wasn't having it. He didn't touch his normal food, licked the weruva, ate about 2tsps of chicken feast gravy lovers & 2tsps of baby food. He finally ate his normal pate @+4 PMPS but I didn't add any water or chicken broth. I know he needs the added water but he needs to eat more than anything. I tried the Mirataz on his ear the past 2 days & it doesn't seem to do anything for him. I need to look for my syringes incase it comes to that,I should probably test for ketones as well. Not that I think he has any, but just to be safe! I called the vet this morning & told them what was going on & that I think he may have pancreatitis. They can't get him until next Tuesday. I told them I needed Cerenia for him to keep him from puking. The vet tech called me back about an hour later & said I could come & get the Cerenia but that I needed to set up an appointment for bloodwork, I told her that I set an appointment up for him but it was for an exam & didn't think bloodwork was a good idea because he is sick & his numbers would be off. I said maybe get the FpL snap & she said she would pass it on to the vet. I never heard back from them. I've been trying & trying to get a stool sample from Panzer & Spook. Panzer has been constipated, liquid poop, & regular poop. I haven't seen go today but he had some stuck on his butt when I got home from work so I know he has gone. At PMPS test time Spook decided he was going to poop, so I left Panzer in his test box & ran in there & got a sample before he buried it. I got done with testing feeding & shooting just in time to take the stool sample to the vet. On the way there I'm thinking they don't need a sample from Panzer to, that's just more $ that I don't have. They said they should have the results tomorrow & would call me. I'm hoping & praying that the garditis is gone, we will see tomorrow. I will definitely be getting a +6 on him again tonight even though he is over me poking his ears. My poor boys just need to get better!https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...3-vet-visit-about-bathing-300-4-287-7.263713/

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I liked cyproheptadine as a appetite stimulant as it can be given twice a day. Have you tried ondansetron for nausea? I don't like stimulating the appetite of a nauseous cat.:bighug:

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  3. Chrispooky12

Thank you I was going to ask if there was another appetite stimulant. How is it given? Pill form? Ear? Liquid? I haven't tried ondansetron my vet says he doesn't have it. I've tried & tried to get him to give me beuph for pain & he won't do it. I think if he's not making $ off of it he's not doing it! It's sad that so many people are only in it for the $. I always wanted to work with animals because I love animals & that's how it should be but for alot it's not sadly. Same thing for other professions. I'm really thinking about checking out the cat clinic in the big city, it would be about the same driving distance.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Cyproheptadine is a pill. I put it in an empty gel capsule. Just 1/8 of a 4 mg worked for Max. It’s a human medication so you heed an RX and then can get it at a pharmacy. Ondansetron is also a human drug so you need an RX for it too. I would definitely look into another vet if yours is unwilling to work with you. So sad to hear this. .

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  5. Chrispooky12

I am going to call the vet tomorrow & see if he will give me a script for both & if he won't I will call the cat clinic. I need someone who wants what's best for Panzer. I've been reading other posts & about how not eating can lead to ketones. He's eating but not enough in my opinion. I'm going to try & catch him peeing next time he goes.

6. Chrispooky12

Panzer ate all of his food no water again & he tested negative for ketones. Also he tried to poop & nothing, I will try the psyllium husk powder tomorrow.

7. Chrispooky12

Panzer refused all food ate a jar of baby food with 1/4 tsp mirilax & had a liquid poop right after better than no poop. :banghead:

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm so sorry what's going on with Panzer my heart breaks for both of you.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:♥♥

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  10. Chrispooky12

I decided after the AMPS feeding I was going to try the Mirataz on Panzer's ear again. I put it on him & Spooks ear @+3 AMPS fed @+4 AMPS. Panzer ate all but a tsp of his regular food with chicken broth & fortiflora on it. He ate all of his food @+ AMPS + 8 with just chicken broth. I would say the Mirataz is working & he is definitely feeling better! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Chrispooky12

Panzer has been eating very well today, besides the AMPS feeding. I never got a call from the vet about the stool sample. I did however call another vet that is 5mins away from me rather than 30mins like we are now. I asked the receptionist a few questions & she asked the vet. My first question was do you require vaccines for a diabetic cat & possibly both cats looking at CKD, he said no he would see them, second I asked if they will give ondansetron, I couldn't think of the name of cyproheptadine. She said they have ondansetron at the vet, the vet got busy so I am going to ask her about the appetite stimulant tomorrow when I call. They also except care credit, I don't have much left but they do accept it. I think we may have found a new vet #4! I also told her that he possibly has pancreatitis but the vet we go to now can't see him for another week. She said she knew what that was like because her dog has had it. Everything crossed that we can start seeing this vet. Crazy thing is I used to take care of his kids when I worked in daycare over 20yrs ago!

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

That is crazy, I'm so glad you found him ,sounds like he will do more for Panzer and Spook than the vet you are with now..Great that he's only 5 minutes away.
    I hope you can get in soon to see him and he get get both kitties feeling better :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  13. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I remember your vet would not give you a prescription for Ondansetron to get filled at a human pharmacy. I have used both mirtazapine and cyproheptadine. Different cats did better on different appetite stimulants. For Darcy the cyproheptadine worked. The pills are very small and you usually only need a little piece of it.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  14. Suzanne & Darcy

I am glad Panzer see some to have perked up and is eating more. What about Spook? I hope the new vet will work out for you!

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  15. Chrispooky12

Spook is doing great, he is laying in his favorite chair napping. He always eats every bit of his food, don't have to coax & no fortiflora. He is still getting the Mirataz though.

16. Chrispooky12

I hope so too!

17. Chrispooky12

I got a text from the vet saying Spooks stool was negative. Does that mean it's gone? (GARDITIS)I am going to call tomorrow & try & get Panzer in with the new vet tomorrow or Friday. They have both eaten well today but both had to be coaxed & no fortiflora for Panzer @ PMPS feeding though!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  18. Suzanne & Darcy

That should mean that Spook’s stool does not show any evidence of Giardiasis! That’s good.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  19. Chrispooky12

Does that mean Panzer is most likely negative to since he was treated but never tested?

20. Suzanne & Darcy

I hope so. Since they share litter boxes and all and Panzer was treated. We can hope that he’s also clear. If the doxycycline cleared it for Spook then hopefully it did for Panzer, too.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  21. Suzanne & Darcy

Of course you could always get a stool sample on Panzer at some point. Are you going to the new vet soon?

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  22. Chrispooky12

Panzer has an appointment at the new vet @ 2pm next Tuesday, the same time & day as the old vet. I haven't told them that I found a new vet, I might need them for more Cerenia before Tuesday. I just got off the phone with the old vet to see how much it costs to bring in a sample of Panzer's stool. I haven't paid for Spooks yet & first time it cost $95 but that included the metronidazole & Cerenia for both of them. She said it cost $45. I may just try & get one for the new vet & take it in Tuesday at our appointment. Him & Spook are both doing good, both eating good sometimes with fortiflora but most without. The AMPS is the hardest feeding because the Mirataz wears off by then. I'm starting to? whether or not it's the fancy feast food that is making them sick. I've seen a couple of posts of it making other kitty's sick on the FB group. I've looked into other low phosphorus/low carb foods. There's quite a few that I wrote down. Do they have to have the same brand or is it okay to go with a couple of different ones?

23. Chrispooky12

I had to coax both Panzer & Spook to eat tonight. They did both finally eat all of there food. I was also able to get a stool sample from Panzer & run it out to the vet, so now it's the waiting game again.

24. Suzanne & Darcy

Any low carb food from the list will be okay. But transition slowly- adding a little at a time to the old food. I was going to ask you about the food. I was wondering if that had anything to do with them not wanting to eat.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  25. Chrispooky12

I will make a new post with the list of foods that I wrote down that are low phosphorus & low carb. I think the food is playing a big part in why they are sick. I have an unopened box with 3 cases of fancy feast in it. I plan on calling chewy tomorrow. I think fancy feast may have changed some ingredients in the food. I guess I could contact Purina as well.

26. Chrispooky12

Panzers stool sample came back negative! That puts my mind at ease. I'm having a really hard time getting Spook to eat now. I'm going to call & see if I can get him some cerenia.

27. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Christina, I'm so glad to hear both kitties stool came back negative.
    Good luck with the vet on Tuesday. If you like the new vet maybe you can start taking Spook there also :cat::bighug::bighug:

Chrispooky12 likes this.