06/10-Dolly-AMPS 172 -197@2.5 -112@3.5 -91@4.5 -119@7.5 -PMPS 136 -117@2 -92@3 -82@4

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Our Dolly Girl (GA), Jun 10, 2021.

1. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Good Morning:):cat:

Surf Safely kitty cats :cat::cat::cat:

Sending healing prayers to all the kitties and their caretakers that are not feeling their best :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

@PerfumedCatMom @Suzanne & Darcy @Butters & Lyla sending loving prayers for hope, healing, and good health :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Dolly increased this morning to 1.5 fat
    What is going on???? Did I wait too long to increase making it harder to bring her numbers down. All knowledge out the door when my tightly controlled kitty is out of control. Have to leave the house @+5 and hope she doesn’t do any big drops, so unpredictable. Left lc out.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Good luck with the dosecrease! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Our Dolly Girl (GA) likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Afternoon Adrienne, Good luck with the increase, I hope you will see more greens , do you hear that Dolly :cat:
    Have a good day Adrienne ♥:bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

@tiffmaxee what do I do? Could she be on the wrong insulin!? Insulin not good but doesn’t expire until October. ?? Help Elise

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  5. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope you get the help you need, Adrienne.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm at a bit of a loss to know what you're worried about. Dolly's AMPS was not atypical. Many cats have a +2 that is the same or a bit higher than their PS number due to the influence of food. By +4, Dolly was back in green numbers.

I'd encourage you to not get stressed over a few test numbers. We generally look at spreadsheets in terms of trends. Looking at each data point in isolation is going to make you prematurely gray! There are lots of things that can influence numbers: was there a squirrel outside or a bird that got Dolly all exited? Was there a strange noise that frightened her? Are you stressed and did she pick up on your stress? Is it a full moon? All of those things may affect her numbers.

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

8. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thanks Sienne. I guess I don’t know when an increase is appropriate anymore. Thanks for the reassurance that all is okay. Thanks for responding. :bighug::bighug: Have a wonderful day.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  9. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thanks Carla. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  10. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Hi Sienne, sorry to bother you but I wanted you to know I do look at Dolly’s SS as trends and she has been trending up in her numbers. She was doing so well then she started getting more numbers over 100. I increased her to just a fat 1.5 but that is hard to measure consistently. I was really hoping she was moving towards a reduction, not an increase. I know it’s silly to think I have control. I guess I want to understand why she is trending up and how to realistically turn it around. Should I change the increase to 1.75 units. The possibility of remission keeps moving farther out of sight.

11. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

12. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug: so many things can influence their numbers. fwiw, I don't like doing shaved increases. For Butters, it's .25u increases and shaved decreases:smuggrin:. I noticed Dolly got down to 59 only two nights ago and you were giving her 1.5u, though, so I'm not sure I would be trying an increase at this point. I haven't been around much as you know, so I might've missed something. I hope Dolly is feeling better.

13. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

;););)
    Oh Lyla, just so frustrated. Dolly has been in a lot of pain, at least it looks like she is. So painful to watch her walk.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/09X595Y9Vy8HNOUtCiK8H-Hcw#Valencia_Northbridge

I don’t know if that’s affecting her numbers. I am giving Buprenex but try not to do it too often. I just got her last refill, 15 doses. The vet gave me Meloxicam but hesitate using it, terrible for the kidneys. Dolly’s values are good but still…. Now I need to find a new vet as well. I ordered some CBD oil, same I think that Pamela is using for Amethyst and JoJo, comes tomorrow. I just want to do what’s best for her. I increased her in April and May and now I’m not sure if I over reacted both times.
    I am hoping Butters gets that appointment soon. Maybe Dolly needs to send out those cancellation vibes again. I’ll remind her. ;) I hope Butters is dealing well with not being able to scratch her ears. Are you putting anything on them to stop the itch? Sending loving prayers that the appointment comes soon, that all goes well with the cardiologist and dentist and that you both are able to relax. Big hugs of hope :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I think Lyla's point is well taken. The question you need to ask yourself is how low the dose is taking the nadir. If you've seen a 59 just a few cycles ago, you don't have much margin for an increase, even if its numbers below 40 that warrant a reduction. I also want to underscore that you've done an incredible job keeping Dolly tightly regulated. There's no way to know if she will go into remission. I would have loved to have Gabby's SS look like Dolly's.

What is hard to balance is how low the dose takes Dolly's nadirs vs holding a dose for what could be an overly long time. Even at a small dose, a bit of tinkering may be helpful. If you opt to increase, you may want to consider using food to prevent a dose reduction. By maximizing the insulin and not allowing a dose reduction, the level may drop a bit.

If Dolly is in pain, that may also be influencing her numbers. You'll have to remind me, what's the pain from?

15. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Her hip. Video below. That’s on a not so bad day.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/09X595Y9Vy8HNOUtCiK8H-Hcw#Valencia_Northbridge

By food reduction, you mean to prevent a lime? I try to do that with hopes she can get reduced by having a week of good numbers, she’s just not quite getting there. Also, she is a grazer and free fed. Maybe that’s the problem? Thank you so much Sienne. I am very grateful for your input. I gave her a fat 1.5 again, don’t know if I should make that a 1.75. She’s been at 1.5 for awhile. Thanks again.

16. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Good morning Diane. Sending prayers for a good day for you, Ashley and Tyler. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

17. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Could you translate?
    A "lime"? (I realize tis is likely autocorrect.)

Also, I can't open your video. I have very tight security on my computers since they are all maintained by my workplace and healthcare takes the ransom threats seriously. Sorry! Is the issue arthritis or is the pain neuropathic?

Unless there was a change in the formula of the food, I doubt that free feeding is the problem. I'm reticent to suggest raising the dose more. The +3.5 is 66. This looks like a typical cycle for Dolly. You could try a different food or a lower carb food.

Just out of curiosity, how are Dolly's teeth. The need for a dental can always be a factor.

18. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

It is Arthritis. She eats 3-4% carbs, FF Pate or Friskies Pate on occasion. Ive been putting an additive in her water for the last 4 years. Not many teeth left but healthy gums, no gingivitis or receding, and perfect teeth every checkup for almost 5 years. I take her to the vet probably too often but she has chronic sinusitis and we have been looking for a resolution since we adopted her 8 years ago. It started as allergies. So many meds, X-rays. She is always congested. Dolly walks like a snail with a slight limp from her right hip. Pain meds help. Going to try CBD tincture oil for cats from HolistaPet’s. Run a cool mist humidifier 24/7 for the last 4 years. (For her congestion). When I don’t use it (as a test) it seems worse. I am open to any suggestions. Today Dolly ate a lot between + 3.5 and +4.5 as if she were feeding a dip. I am guessing that’s why she went up. Thanks Sienne.:bighug:

A lime as in below 50.:D

Sorry, I really was rambling. I hope I made some sense. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  19. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I should have realized what the "lime" referred to. Silly me!

Have you tried glucosamine and chondroitin for the arthritis? There are over-the-counter options for pets such as Cosequin. There is an injectable form -- Adequan -- which I think you can only get at your vet. Others here have used Dasequin. I believe there are also chews and liquid forms but they contain corn syrup and I don't think they are the same strength as what you would get from the vet.

20. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Dolly just finished a course of 8 injections of Adequan. No improvement. I got her some Dasuquin to put on her food and she wouldn’t eat it. I can’t pill Dolly, she is too strong for me. I get all her meds, antibiotics, compounded, I can usually get liquids in a syringe down her, still not easy. I have spent a fortune on chews, antibiotics, and she won’t eat them. The ones for arthritis, I know you have to be so careful about ingredients, starch etc. I have spent a fortune on a lot of trial and error. I gave the Adequan shots at home with prefilled syringes from the vet. I also don’t have a vet now. It is still so hard for me to carry her in her carrier and use my cane. I still don’t feel like me yet since my accident but I know I need to find her a new vet. I can’t take her back to “the Cat Doctor” the vet she’s been going to for 8 years. Not after the insulin issue. I just don’t like her and I think the feeling is mutual. There also were concerns about her being Hyperthyroid, March test had her at over 100 for her T4 equilibrium. Now 47, May bloodwork. She was drinking more, peeing more and eating more but she has gained weight. Need to check in 3 months. Sorry, rambling on again. Thanks Sienne for all of your suggestions. If you hear of or know of a safe chew, please let me know. :)

21. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Sorry Sienne, I just read my message and I sound negative and all over the place. I really value any input from you and I sounded like it was hopeless, tried everything, just negative. :( I think I wanted you to know I try to do what’s best for Dolly, try to be proactive with her care, not that I’ve done it all, far from it, and nothing works. Just really wanted to apologize. Hope you have a nice weekend.

22. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I didn't take it that way at all. I wan't fully up to speed on Dolly's history and you filled me in, which was appreciated.