06/24 Baby G amps 212 please advise do I shoot

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by babyg, Jun 24, 2022.

1. babyg

babyg Well-Known Member

Hi, everyone,

Shes 212. Do I still give 3? I've never shot that low before. I know paperwork from vet says 200 or above I can shoot but I never fully trust them. Really going to try to get all her meds in this morning and try the Mirtazapine (got ALL her meds in, yay! that's like a mini miracle in itself)
    I'm really at the end of my rope with this cat, and it's not her fault but I don't know how much longer I can keep dealing with everything. So looks like she was in the 200s most of the night, with a 100 here or there. But she didn't eat well at all, and now her poop is pasty again, so super discouraged. I have to try to chase down a vet today because nobody called me back yesterday. Something has to be done. Does she need to be hospitalized? How do we get her under control? They need to help me more more. I'm having a very hard time over here. This craziness has been going on for almost a month. I can't keep losing sleep and time off work, and I can't keep playing with the spreadsheet either or trying to pill her. Now I'm trying to see if my dad or someone can stop by the house to check on her while I'm at work because I'm worried what the numbers will look like today. I probably won't be able to get anyone.:arghh:
    Edited to add: yep, can't get anyone.
    Do I even give her the 3 today if I can't count on her to eat?
    I can try the Mirtazapine this morning. I don't know if that will help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  2. babyg

babyg Well-Known Member

Now 245 but she ate a little. Its shot time and not sure what to do.
    Giving her 2.5.
    Edited to add: last minute I decided to give the 3 because I know the 2.5 does poop. Did I do the right thing? Do I have reason to worry about her now? Ugh. I'll check on her at lunch but concerned.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Sorry nobody got back to you. You need to shoot a full dose if around 200. That number will lower as you get more data. Good for you that you did that. Lantus likes consistency. If ever you don’t get a reply please refer to the dosing sticky. Good job.
    Get a test before you leave and leave out food. Coming home for lunch is a good idea.

babyg likes this.
  4. babyg

babyg Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll try to remember to check out the dosng sticky next time I'm in a bind. I think this morning I was so discouraged from the pasty poo situation that it was like I had a mini meltdown and was struggling just to stay sane :p I just felt like everything I was doing was not enough and like we took a step back and how can I help her now... I'm glad despite all that I made the right choice and stuck with the 3. :)

John & Henry and Liz & Minnie like this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

On 6/18 you had a really good cycle. There was no reason to drop the dose to 2.5. With SLGS reductions are taken if under 90.

6. SaraMV

SaraMV Member

I get your frustration, really I do. Indoor cameras set up in the areas your kitty most frequents (for me it's in the kitchen area and living room) and an automatic feeder are God-sends for when you work or are out of the house. The cameras especially are amazing because I can watch from work when the automatic feeder goes off, to make sure my Taz is ok enough to eat.

I see from your signature that you're dealing with chronic pancreatitis. Taz had it almost solid for 3 months. It's now been 3.5 months since our last flare up, and due to a recent storm we had, we're on watch again. I gave him cerenia and bupe for the first time tonight since March, because he didn't have any interest in his snack. For him, that's a sign he's "off", so to be safe I'm starting our protocol for the next couple of days and hoping for the best.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I understand your frustration. It sucks when our fur kids are sick and can't tell us what's wrong. I wish we could magically make them feel better.

babyg and Liz & Minnie like this.
  7. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Hi! I'm new to your situation so apologies if I'm repeating things, but has anyone here mentioned S Boulardi to you for the poop situation? I think Bhooma @Bandit's Mom recommended it to me and sent this link.

https://www.foodfurlife.com/my-cat-has-diarrhea---what-do-i-do.html#/

I got "Jarrow's Saccharomyces Boulardii plus MOS probiotic/prebiotic" at Super Supplements. I open up the capsule and I mix (I give about half a capsule but read that link for better dosing info) into the food, apparently tasteless. (Minnie is super fussy but doesn't notice it)

Good luck!

John & Henry and Bandit's Mom like this.