06/25/2020 Mowgli, Dental today

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AmandaE, Jun 25, 2020.

1. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Last Post

Mowgli had a rough old day today, right into the vet for his dental. He had his top two canines removed and they ended up giving his teeth another cleaning... they said that a lot of tartar had already built up since his dental in December... I wonder if it is the wet food?

The vet said he didn't go down without a fight... she said: 'We were finally able to get him down' haha... I wonder if it was his right hook that gave them trouble?... I wonder how they would cope with Nyx?

Mowgli is a little weird right now... and fully starving! I am having to limit the amount of food he gets at one time so he doesn't scarf and barf, but other than that I can tell he's so happy to be home after his horrible long day... fingers crossed that he doesn't need another dental for a long time to come.

His post op treatment will be antibiotics 2x/day for 7 days, metacam 1x/day for 3 days, and fortiflora 1x/day for 10 days. I hope he recovers quickly!

Si am cat mom likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Mowgli. I'm glad he's home and eating for you. I hope he recovers quickly. Sending prayers.

AmandaE likes this.
  3. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Sweet boy! Hoping he feels better soon and so happy he is home and recovering:bighug:! Love the fight in him—get em’ Mowgs! Sorry to hear that his teeth had tarter again. Any luck brushing them? They have the soft rubber thimble like cat toothbrushes that help a lot.

AmandaE likes this.
  4. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Feel better soon Mowgs! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    What a rough day it must have been for Mowgli and for you too, Amanda. I'm glad that it's all over and he's home recuperating. Sending tons of healing vines! :bighug:

AmandaE likes this.
  5. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Thanks for thinking of us Carla :) I am also so thankful his appetite is so healthy I was even able to start his antibiotics tonight because of it :)

He IS such a fighter!! It’s funny because typically he is such a sweetheart, it’s crazy how the vet can change the personality of a cat... a struggle with Nyx? I would expect... Mowgli? Not so much : P

mowgli is very protective of his mouth, even when he developed the lesions, it was hard to get a glimpse without heavy resistance.... the vet said there are additives for water that can prevent tarter build up so I will look into that. Otherwise I will just schedule annual cleanings
    My poor baby boy. I can tell it’s been really traumatic when he didn’t meow once on the way home from the vet .. . I’m sure he will heal quickly with all the positive energy he’s getting from you all :bighug:

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  6. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

7. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Veterinary dental experts believe that genetics and oral chemistry have a far greater impact on dental health than does diet. Tooth brushing can make a big difference, but food does not. Brush your cat’s teeth!

Here's what one vet said, " When we feed our cats commercial dry food the carbs adhere to the surface of the teeth, causing the first stage in the formation of tartar and periodontal disease, dental plaque. Many of my patients ate mostly dry food. These cats had some of the most infected, decayed, foul-smelling mouths I saw. If there was any dietary influence at all, I’d say that raw-fed cats had better oral health than cats on any type of commercial food."

When Ravan & his 5 brothers & sisters were little I got them used to me wiping my finger ,wrapped in a bit of gause, into their mouth. Not every day but at least once a week I cleaned their teeth. Ravan is 18 years old & has never had his teeth cleaned by a dentist. He's lost a few, from old age.
    On the other hand Alice developed Stomatitis when she was only 2 & over time all her teeth were absorbed. It never seemed to affect her eating at all.

At that time I had taken in 6 newborn kittens & already had 7 adult cats, the oldest, Daisy was 24 . I was on Social security disability & no way could I afford Vet visits. (none of my cats ever had a dental cleaning at a vet! , & most lived into their 20's )
    I'm glad Mowgli did Ok with his cleaning! ( Have you ever tried giving him a Raw bone with a bit of meat on it? Supposed to clean their teeth pretty good! )

upload_2020-6-26_10-42-27.jpeg

8. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Very glad that everything went well and that he's eating !! He must be so happy to be back home and you must be relieved! Dental is always stressful....

When Ti-Mousse had his last dental, I was told to brush his teeth, but he would never let me!!:stop:
    Instead I rub them gently with a small damp piece of gauze every morning after his breakfast; at the beginning he was not too sure, mouth tightly closed.... but he got use to me rubbing his lips and finally he let me reach his teeth! It takes 2 sec and you pick up the dirth right away so it prevents tartar build up.

Have a great weekend, Amanda!

AmandaE and JoyBee&Ravan like this.
  9. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

Glad he did well - all things considered :D

We are looking at scheduling a dental for my tazmanian devil this month....I'm trying not to freak out but he's just not great at the vet to begin with and since I'm out of state, I don't have " my " vet folks here

10. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines your way!