06/26/2020 Mowgli AMPS 220 +2 223 +6 157 PMPS 164

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AmandaE, Jun 26, 2020.

1. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

06/25/2020

High numbers for Mowg today, I suspect pain from yesterdays dental. He has slept most of the day today and doesn't even want outside... that's a sure sign that he is being a good boy and resting until he feels normal again.

Does anyone know if I should be concerned about the fact that Mowgli's past two blood work results showed low platelets? the vet didn't mention it yesterday (i just got the report today) so I'm hoping it isn't too concerning, I did write my vet about it too, so I will fill ya's in if she thinks it is a concern.

@Ti-Mousse @JoyBee&Ravan Mowgli is usually SO relaxed about any manipulation of him I need to make, but for some reason he is really weird about his mouth, I have tried massaging with very poor results but I should try again,... I definitely cannot afford dental every 6 months :eek:. Interesting about the genetics point Joy! thanks for sharing... I like the idea of a raw diet but mentally, I don't feel prepared to do the research and take that on yet ... silly I know...

Hope everyone has a great weekend :cat::cat::cat:

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

You’ve deleted the “normal range” column that was on the lab tab. Every lab is different and so it’s not possible to tell how low his platelets are just from the data entered. No one will be able to tell you much about what his labs mean if you don’t have the normal ranges.:blackeye:;)

However, double check your lab report and see if it states that platelets are “clumped”. If it does, you don’t need to worry. Quite often during the blood draw, platelets get clumped and it’s difficult for them to assess the exact number of them.

3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Oh Amanda, I'm sorry to hear about that low platelet thing...I hope it's not serious. I unfortunately cannot suggest any information about that...but hopefully those with more experience will come along to contribute. Just as I was replying, there's an experienced comment from Marje! Yeah!

I hope our boy rests up and gets back to his normal lively self soon. Have a good evening Amanda...please post and let us know how he's doing soon...sending prayers and hugs! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. AmandaE

Marje! thanks so much for responding!!

My spreadsheet never had a range column (that I can remember) I'll type one in with the ranges from the report.

it doesn't say anything about clumping directly but one of the graphs does say: PCT normal, likely adequate platelet mass... is that clumping?

Thanks Sue! I also hope it isn't serious, I feel like it probably isn't if the vet didn't even feel the need to mention it... hopefully Marje is onto something with the clumping comment :)

Sue and Luci likes this.
  5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Mowgli continues to heal and recovers quickly. I hope the platelet thing is nothing serious. Sending prayers.

AmandaE likes this.
  6. Marje and Gracie

You’re welcome!! I did the lab tabs for the templates so they’ve all had the normal range for Antech lab on them as it is easy to just change the ones that differ than start over. :woot:

That sounds like clumping because if the platelets are actually low, it should be reflected in the PCV or HCT. You can ask your vet to be sure since it doesn’t say. Normally, the US labs indicate whether there is clumping or not. I think it’s a reasonable question for her.

AmandaE and Sue and Luci like this.
  7. AmandaE

Mowgli's test is from and IDEXX analyzer that they have in the vet office, I ended up just typing in the ranges from that form

I wrote her an email today, I hope you're right especially since the platelets were low in his last lab too... I will let you guys know what she says :)

Thanks again!

8. Marje and Gracie

I want to clarify about PCT and platelets. I was thinking you had a typo of HCT or PCV because I don’t normally see PCT on labs. But PCT is platelecrit and is the volume occupied by platelets in the blood by percentage. I would talk to the vet but I believe if the PCT is normal and platelets are low, it likely indicates clumping of the platelets. Tobey almost always has clumped platelets so his platelet level is often low but his RBCs, HGB, and HCT are often on the high side and they always remark that the platelets were clumped.

AmandaE likes this.
  9. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

I guess kitties think their mouth is very special and precious...
    It took me a little while but it worked! His last dental is 1 1/2 yr ago :)
    As for raw diet, this is something I'm trying but not easy.....

AmandaE likes this.