07/02 RAMONE amps 312 +3 302

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jerica&ramone, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

Good Morning,

Ramone's been all over the map these days, and now I'm questioning if I increased too quickly??

With the 9.5 units we did get a couple good days but nothing consistently... and I don't think he earned a dose reduction. And now I've gone to 10 units and while its still new not seeing really any improvements there yet.

I am going away for the weekend so he's going to the cat hotel, should I put him back down to 9.5 units ? Or just keep him at 10? I'm going to check him every 3 hours all day today and over night. I'll be able to do his shot tonight and tomorrow morning then he's off to the cat hotel.

TIA!!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I might have waited six cycles after than 76 to see where his nadirs would land, before increasing. I tended to stick with a dose if it was giving me nadirs in the 70's, cause that's what worked for Neko to minimize her time over renal threshold. ECID, something different may work for Ramone.

I don't see any post PMPS tests last night, and he's bouncing today, so I suspect he went somewhat lower last night. That was also the sixth cycle after the green, which is a likely time for the bounce to break. And a good cycle to get tests.

You can probably stop testing every 3 hours today, but it might be worth getting a couple tests in tonight to see what is happening. Since you will be away and there will be less testing at the cat hotel, I would put his dose back down to 9.5 units for safety.

3. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

Thank you Wendy, yes I meant to get tests last night and I didn't wake up to anything last night I was extremely exhausted.

So after 6 cycles after a green, usually they bounce? I'd love to know more about that and when it would be the most beneficial to get tests in, esp at night. I don't know how some people do it throughout the night so frequently. ( I don't have kids, thats probably why lol my time will come) And I know ECID, so it can't be a firm rule but just in general... I never have really understood what "bounce" means and especially in Ramone's case. He just seems all over the map. some days high some days low, some days flat curve, some days actually does drop lower during the cycle..

I'm trying to find some type of rhythm or pattern but I don't feel like I see one. I know too much insulin can look like not enough which might be what is the case too. sigh.

I will go back to 9.5 units tonight too and I will make sure to get tests tonight to make sure he isn't dropping too low. Thank you :)

And get back onto a better track Sunday night. Need to get these blues and greens back.

Going to vet following weekend to talk more about cabergoline and starting treatment. I know it will require more from me on my end so I have to make sure I'm prepared for that as well.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

A bounce happens because of a number lower than they are used to, or a fast drop. Bounces can last up to six cycles. Second part of the second post here has more detail on bounces.
    If you can always get at least a +2 or a +3, that can tell you if you need to stay up later. A big drop from PMPS to that test tells you that you should get later tests.
    Not relevant for you, it is seldom the case and not in yours. Only if kitty is started on too high a dose, a person does too large an increase and/or increases without knowing the nadirs. It's not something we see for someone following the testing and increases in our dosing methods. What you are more likely seeing is either the antibodies or tumour ramping up. I expect you will have to increase when you get back home.
    Think of patterns as waves of action, involving more than one cycle at a time. Low - bounce 5-6 cycles - clear bounce go down is one such pattern. Over time as they get used to lower numbers, the number of bounce cycles is reduced. Some cats, the cycle before clearing a bounce, will go high - the high before the low.

Jerica&ramone likes this.
  5. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

thank you for always answering all my questions! that post on bouncing is super informative. it'll take me some time fully learn everything!