? 07/10 Leo, amps 377,+6=258, +11=137, pmps 125, +1=199, +6=368

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Leocat, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Leocat

Leocat Member

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Whether you shoot or not will depend on if you can stay up as long as you need to tonight and monitor and if you have plenty of supplies. If you are able to monitor, and he doesn't drop a lot by PMPS, you can shoot the 1.25 units. You'll want to get a +1 and a +2 if you shoot.

By the way, can you please put NS (no shot) in the dose column when you skip a shot so it's clear you didn't shoot? Thanks.

3. Leocat

Leocat Member

The pmps blood sugar is 125... I don’t know should I stall and retest in 30?
    I tested Leo brother that has no diabetes and his blood sugar is 68... if Leo would have 68 I would totally panic..

... I have test strips and I can stay up to test I’m just very afraid of hypo situation... so I give Leo just 0.5 ui dose ... it’s first time I shoot with such low preshoot blood sugar

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  4. carfurby (GA)

You should still get a +1 and a +2 just to be safe.

Leocat likes this.
  5. Leocat

Leocat Member

After food and shoot at +1 his blood sugar got up to 199... will check a bit later to see how it goes ...

6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I don't know what the circumstances were yesterday when you skipped ... but please try to shoot the same dose of Lantus. Since Lantus is a depot drug, the amount that you give him at 12 hour intervals is important to be consistent...Unless of course you have a really low reading, which at that point you should stall...test again in 20 minutes to see if he's going up or down. It's better to be consistent and study your mid-cycle numbers, more so than to react to a preshot number - IF it's high. Pre-shot numbers are important because we never want to shoot if kitty is below 50. However, it doesn't look like that's the case; then you need to ask yourself if you're going to be home or not; then decide whether to shoot or not based on that. If you're home and can test regularly it's better to give the dose that you've been giving. Skipping and/or changing the dose isn't helpful for getting better numbers.

You will want to learn to shoot lower numbers - because my dear, that's what we're all striving for. In fact the road to remission is lined with green pre-shot numbers. You may want to look at some of the other spreadsheets - look up @Sarah and Blaze - for an excellent example of shooting low...and then finally remission.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Leocat and Sarah and Blaze like this.
  7. Leocat

Leocat Member

Thank you Sue, I have a big issue about shooting low numbers as I have no experience with it and vets reacted so alert about not shooting low numbers meaning below 200 blood sugar... 2 vets and below 150 the other vet ... I know lantus is about consistency .. seen sheets when they even shoot 5 ui or 7 ui at bs numbers below 150 ... btw Sarah & Blaze has great spreadsheet with lot of testing.. will read among her other posts maybe I get more infos ... how does she handle a number below 80 during the 12 hour cycle? If Sarah could answer or shall I ask in private ...
    I need some advice how to handle this low shoot numbers what dose is safe ...
    I read here on forum that we don’t shoot for the preshoot number but for the nadir number ... but I’m not 100 sure how Leo will react even more that he has odd numbers at +8 or pmps and his blood sugar still goes low without eating
    From this past experiences I got seems Leo goes up at mid cycle when I skip .. so seems he needs the dose
    I want to avoid any hypo events but seems one day I’ll have to get brave and shoot ..

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  8. carfurby (GA)

Most vets give a higher no shoot number because most owners don't home test. Since you test, you can shoot lower and be able to deal with handling the numbers. It's just a matter of getting comfortable doing it. Eventually you will be more comfortable shooting lower numbers.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  9. Sarah and Blaze

Sarah and Blaze Well-Known Member

Hey Veronica! I just slowly got more comfortable shooting lower numbers. I would post here for help when Blaze started seeing lower numbers, I would feed different carb %’s based off of the BG’s I got and I utilized an auto feeder for snacks for Blaze. I work Monday through Thursday and most days, I wasn’t able to make it home on my lunch hour, and wouldn’t get home until after PMPS (my husband did test, feed, shoot most evenings for me when I wouldn’t make it home for PMPS). If I saw a lower than normal pre shot number, I would get a +1 or +2 to try to catch any suddenly drops in BG so I could feed Blaze Mc or Hc food to prevent him from dropping more. When I was newer to lower numbers, I would feed a little MC snack and test again in 30 minutes to an hour to see if his BG was up or down. Sometimes I would have to give HC snacks to get him back up. It just takes some time to get more comfortable with the lower numbers and knowing how your cat will react to Mc or Hc snacks. I hope this helps! I’ll watch out for your posts.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  10. Leocat

Leocat Member

Yes, I’ll have to buy some more options of MC and HC, also I seen some questions here on the forum that you should ask yourself if you can face in case of hypo like if you have enough strips, food, emergency glucose source or someone to drive you to the vet... for now I’m on my own don’t have anyone to back me when I need help with Leo’s care so is like walking on Eggshells... i leave overnight food for my cats .. sometimes they eat other times they don’t .. actually they are so picky and even what they used to like don’t eat anymore.. hopefully I’ll find a way to make this work for the long run..
    thanks for the idea, I’ll stack some more options of HC.