08/02 Mishka PMPS 295 +5 47 PMPS 389 Failed reduction?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Frogster, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Frogster

Frogster Member

2. Frogster

Frogster Member

She displays perfect appetite when she is hi and refuses to eat when she is low. Pretty inconvenient...

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Looks like Mishka was breaking a bounce today, so had a little extra downward momentum, resulting in that dip below 50.

Unless she shows she can't hold this decrease, I'd try the 2.5 units until the bounce is over and see if she can hold the reduction. Look at the PM cycle of the 26th, it's possible she went lower that night too. I found that my Lev girl went low earlier than expected if she was looking for a reduction.

What is your current feeding schedule with Mishka? Do you try tempting her with something different when low?

4. Frogster

Frogster Member

Oh, that night of the 26th I did not put on an alarm believing she'll wake me up at some point anyway as usual, but she did not. And it did not occur to her to eat, even though her bowl was full, until I pushed it into her face. Today the same. I woke up to test, and found her bowl untouched since the time I went to sleep. I offered her a can of salmon for cats and she swallowed it in one go.
    The thing is she constantly wakes me up when she does not really need me. All these sleepless nights are finally catching up with me, my own health and mind are crying for help.
    Another thing (and this one is huge) she is allergic to who knows what, some of which, I believe, is food. That was the reason for her long term steroids. Now we are off them, and she is itching all over. The only remedy our vets offer is huge doses of apoquel which is not approved for cats and which is not recommended for dogs with a history of neoplasia. And my girl does have such history. So.

5. Wendy&Neko

Ugh, sounds like you might have to try to figure out which protein she is allergic to. You might want to try eliminating certain proteins for a while and see if that helps. Or try finding a protein she hasn't eaten before and see if that works, like maybe lamb, rabbit, venison.

6. Frogster

Frogster Member

She spent several years on HA diet without any meat in it at all, and still needed steroids. I just noticed that some food, like tuna or chicken make things worse.

7. Wendy&Neko

Fish and chicken are common allergens, as sometimes is beef. Can you find things like turkey, lamb etc. cat foods? or maybe make your own with a premix.

8. Frogster

Frogster Member

We don't have much choice in wet food here. Everything, which is labeled as something 'exotic' like lamb or turkey turn out to be something like 4% turkey. The same with vitamins.
    I tried to feed her pure turkey for like three weeks until she confronted difficulties with chewing. She needs dental, but she cried heartrendingly for the whole of three days of her stay at the vet's when she had her surgery, and it transpired she spent those days lying in a pool of her own urine. I'm not leaving her with them again. No way.

9. Wendy&Neko

Dentals should be day surgery, shouldn't require overnight. If a cat needs a dental, it makes it challenging to get them regulated.

10. Frogster

Frogster Member

I understand that. But I don't trust them. She has been showing signs of diabetes since February and they could not make a diagnosis. My home sticks showed that she urinated syrup, their Labs showed no sugar in the urine. Dental means another general anesthesia, and they say it is not that uncommon for a cat of her age to die under it. I saw comments of other people's whose pets died after they had their dental and the reply was 'you'd been notified of the risks', and that's it. I just can't.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020