08/31 Jax - PMPS 93,+1 98,+2 99,+3 123,+5 172

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JaxBenji, Aug 31, 2020.

1. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Yesterday

So Jax spent most of the night in the lower half of the 200s for the first time after having a 100 point drop from AMPS+8 to PMPS. Oh the things we get excited about ;) Many thanks so @tiffmaxee for helping me :)

Today is day 3 on his current dose of 2 units. Planning to increase to 2.25 in the morning.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Great plan...you may want to update your SS - good luck with the increase :)

JaxBenji likes this.
  3. JaxBenji

Thank you! We will increase tomorrow so I'll put it in then! We are still at 2 units for today (cycles 5 and 6).

Sue and Luci likes this.
  4. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Jax, are you listening??? Mom is talking about an increase for you, so how about a little action today?;)
    You did a great job testing last night. :)
    Have a good day, Susanne!

JaxBenji and Sue and Luci like this.
  5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Jax slides down and surfs today.

JaxBenji likes this.
  6. JaxBenji

Thank you Lyla! Maybe Butters can talk to him :)? And that was good practice last night for some night time testing!

7. JaxBenji

So maybe Jax IS listening ;) our second blue ever at +3. He still has probably half of his breakfast left. I plan to test at +4 again.

8. JaxBenji

Still in the blue at +4. Jax still has a little bit of breakfast left - maybe a quarter left. I plan to test again at +5 since he was still dropping a little at +4.

AMPS 241
    +3 181
    +4 168

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

No reason not to grab a +6. I’ll never say don’t test. He’s surfing nicely.

JaxBenji likes this.
  10. JaxBenji

AMPS 241
    +3 181
    +4 168
    +5 171

Will try to grab a +6 if the tiny humans don't refuse lunch ;)

11. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

Go Jax go! Penny's surfing the blue today too.

JaxBenji likes this.
  12. JaxBenji

These blues are very new to Jax - I re-read TR and looks like I should hold current dose for an extra day or two (8-10 cycles in total).

AMPS 241
    +3 181
    +4 168
    +5 171
    +6 157

Will try to keep testing this afternoon. He still had a few bites of breakfast left at +6 (I have never known him to be a grazer until this past week).

13. JaxBenji

AMPS 241
    +3 181
    +4 168
    +5 171
    +6 157
    +7 173

Clearly Jax is fine lol. We will go on a testing break till +10.

14. Butters & Lyla

Jax's first day surfing at the beach! Sweet.

JaxBenji likes this.
  15. JaxBenji

Thank you for having Butters talk to him ;)

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  16. JaxBenji

So, now we are really into new territory. I'll test again at PMPS but was hoping confirmation/advice on dosing.

(1) Assuming he's gone up from 140 then I'll give his 6th dose of 2 units and can test tonight.
    (2) What if he's gone down from 140? Stall for 20 minutes? Reduced dose?

AMPS 241
    +3 181
    +4 168
    +5 171
    +6 157
    +7 173
    +10 140 (second strip 132)

17. JaxBenji

+12 111 *gave 1 tsp of dinner otherwise he wouldn't let me test

Currently stalling on the insulin and giving the rest of dinner. Would appreciate any advice!

18. JaxBenji

@tiffmaxee @Butters & Lyla - either of you have any advice? I'm stalling our evening shot as he had his lowest (111) at +12.

19. tiffmaxee

It will take 20-30 for the food to factor in. Test in 15 from when you fed. Next time stall, don’t feed, until he will let you test.

jayla-n-Drevon and Sue and Luci like this.
  20. JaxBenji

Thank you :) Your response was about 15-20 from when he had a tsp so I retested - and managed to do it without food! It's 110 (so same as +12).

21. tiffmaxee

Do you have plenty of supplies, hc, strips,etc? Can you stay up and money? If yes he hasn’t gone down any more so I think you can shoot. Looks like for awhile I would get a +11-11.5 . What do you think?

22. JaxBenji

Yes I have supplies EXCEPT for ketone strips. Think I need to run out and get some? I know I need them but for tonight? And yes, I can stay up and monitor...had planned on it since he was in new territory all day.

Any pro tips on getting an 11 or 11.5 w/out food? Or is it okay to give a tsp? I just need him to have a nibble while I get the blood :)

23. tiffmaxee

You don’t need to get ketone strips tonight.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  24. tiffmaxee

It could be a very active cycle. Appetite is good right?

Give a100% freeze dried piece of chicken or boiled chicken so you can test.

25. Sue and Luci

Beautiful blue day today. While I realize this is the first time you've seen this many good numbers in a row, this is really a wonderful thing. It means the insulin you're giving is doing it's job!

As long as you're going to be home and can stay up to monitor the blood glucose for a while tonight, Jax should be ok. Re-read the instruction for how to handle low numbers;

Print them out and highlight the important steps should you get lower numbers than you're used to or comfortable with. People will be around this evening to support you - but this is your chance to brush up on how to handle these new and exciting numbers!

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...y-to-shoot-handle-lower-pre-shot-numbers.147/

Let's hope the surfing continues for a while...often cats upon seeing nice numbers for the first time or three, will bounce higher and higher...it's a natural reaction to going low...

I'm just about ready to call it a night - yes, I retire early because I'm up at the crack of dawn...well before dawn actually.

Best of luck this evening!! :)

26. JaxBenji

I tested again and he's at 93 (~40minutes after AMPS+12).

Appetite is pretty good - it's slowed down as his glucose has improved but he's still waiting for dinner :)

Go for it with 93? or stall more? I think @Sue and Luci totally hit it when stating this is all new but all GOOD.

27. tiffmaxee

28. tiffmaxee

SHOOT! If you stall more he will go down more. I’ll be around. Get a +1 and +2.

29. tiffmaxee

Don’t feed a huge amount. We need him to be willing to eat.

30. Sue and Luci

The problem right now is those numbers LOOK like they're falling! I'm reluctant to advise you to shoot falling numbers. Although the mantra around here is 'shoot low to stay low'...you're kinda new at this...

How long can you afford to stall? If you feed him, there will be a food bump and then you won't know if he was really already going down or not...

If you continue to stall your next test/feed/shoot time will also be delayed...what's your schedule like for the next day or two while you adjust it to get it back to normal?

31. tiffmaxee

If she stalls more he will continue to drop.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  32. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

He had a very small amount of food at +12.

33. JaxBenji

Sue and Luci likes this.
  34. tiffmaxee

You can feed a little at +1 and +2. It will be fine. The problem with stalling and not feeding is they often continue to drop and then you can’t shoot. That almost happened.

35. tiffmaxee

The darn site is very slow to load. Sue and I had trouble communicating. To avoid any issue tonight I will try and give you advice in advance.

36. JaxBenji

Thanks for the guidance - I did scoop half of his dinner up - so i can split that between +1 and +2?

Sue and Luci likes this.
  37. tiffmaxee

Yes. If at +1 he hasn’t gotten a food bump feed a few spoonfuls. If he drops much at +2 feed a little mc. I’ll guide in real time but just in case want you to have a game plan. It should be a nice flat cycle.

JaxBenji likes this.
  38. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

And this is another example of why I don't like stalling all the time when you see dropping (but safe) numbers, and it seems to be getting suggested more frequently of late. Many cats continue to drop without food. A hint for next time, if this is Jax's MO, when you saw him dropping at +10 you would have been fine giving him a small snack. It might have kept him up to a higher preshot, and you still had two hours for the carbs to wear off before preshot. For reading when you've got time, this is a great post on TR Myths debunked. The one I linked is about shooting dropping numbers, but the whole post is a good one.

Paws crossed you get a beautiful surf from Jax tonight. It's fantastic to see that green. :D

39. JaxBenji

@tiffmaxee Okay - thank you so much. I grabbed my higher carb food (these names crack me up)
    • 9.7% Cats in the Kitchen - The Breakfast Cat
    • 12.4% Cats in the Kitchen - Pumpkin Lickin' Chicken
    • 13.5% Cats in the Kitchen - Pumpkin Jack Splash
    • 16.4% Cats in the Kitchen - 1 if by Land, 2 if by Sea
    • 25% Hills W/D (from our DX at the ER vet back in June :))
    I have Karo Syrup & honey too.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  40. tiffmaxee

Perfect. You should be able to give lc at +1. Lets see. The ff is 6%?

41. JaxBenji

He had FF Cod and it's 1% mixed with BFF Chuckles (or 4EVA...) but they are both 2%.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  42. JaxBenji

This is all so fascinating (stressful, but fascinating). Thank you so much for the post AND the encouragement.

43. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

No matter how many times I shot green, it took a long time before I stopped worrying about it. But food is your friend to keep Jax safe. Tonight you can get data that will help you the next time. And Elise is a good coach.

44. JaxBenji

AMPS+12 111
    AMPS+12.3 110
    PMPS (AMPS+12.6) 93 *half of dinner served
    +1 98 *2T of remaining dinner

Holding steady. He had a few bites of food left and I gave one more scoop (I didn't measure...a tablespoon or two).

45. tiffmaxee

Okay. At+3 if he drops I’d give the 9.7%. If about the same mc with a regular and chocolate for you. Small amount each time to keep him willing to eat. Which one is his fave? You are very organized. Good job. Oh and something for you. 94918453-6BF8-45D2-9401-C69935747F70.gif

46. JaxBenji

Hahaha you crack me up. I told my husband it's like ripping off a bandaid - I have everything, know how far our ER vet is (& their covid protocols), and we have been waiting for these numbers!

Best to test at +2 or +3? I had planned on +2 (or can do both...his ears will get a rest eventually....).

For the food, if he's about the same do you mean to mix MC with his 1-2% carb food? If he drops or the same, give a spoonful?

And Jax doesn't know the deliciousness of the MC wet food - prior to DX, we fed dry orijen. I'm sure he'll at least lick up the gravy.

Also, sounds like I should maybe get some 5% to have on hand? Or we can discuss that another time :)

47. tiffmaxee

I’d get a +2 and +3. I hope the +2 goes up some. If down much a +4 or if a little +5. This is all just in case the internet is slow. Under 10% is lc. It depends how carb sensitive your cat is.

48. tiffmaxee

How about updating the title with PMPS and tests done. Ditch the rest now.

JaxBenji likes this.
  49. JaxBenji

+2 98

Mix low and medium carb and give a tablespoon? or wait till +3? He finished his half of dinner from PMPS and the extra scoop or two I gave him at +1 (so he has a little less than half of his usual dinner in the fridge)

Updated the title!

50. tiffmaxee

Yes I’d mix the two. Nice surf so far.

51. JaxBenji

He's licking up the little snack now. And also thanks saying I'm organized - I think I'm more organized chaos in real life :) Also, I read on a thread (somewhat recent I think) to write the % carbs in sharpie on your food so I did. It was a great tip and my brain didn't have to think :)

+2 98 *1T of 9.7% mixed w 1-2%

Will test again in about 40 minutes.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  52. JaxBenji

A bump! +3 123

+3 123

What's your take on my next steps? Test at +5? Any more food?

53. tiffmaxee

What do you think about one more test in 2 hours? Has he eaten most of his food for today? Let’s see what he does for two hours without food.

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  54. JaxBenji

+5 sounds good.

Yes, he ate most of his food today - his current diet is about 5.25 oz of wet food twice a day - half of a 5.5 oz can BFF and 1 3oz FF classics pate can. He still has maybe 3T of his dinner leftover in the fridge. Sounds like maybe I should space his food out like is generally recommended on here - I will say he used to devour his meals and now he has been taking his time - presumably to less glucose.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  55. JaxBenji

+5 172. Any words of wisdom :)? Okay until AMPS? Wondering also if I should put the last couple of spoonfuls of his dinner down for him tonight,

+3 123
    +5 172

56. tiffmaxee

Definitely okay until tomorrow. Next time we should try only lc the first couple of tests. I think this might be the start of a bounce though. Good job. Sleep well.

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  57. tiffmaxee

Oh. It’s fine to put the rest of the food out.

Red & Rover (GA) and JaxBenji like this.
  58. JaxBenji

Thank you so much for everything! And I was wondering about that little snack...interesting little experiment in many ways. Live and learn. Thanks again for your support!

59. tiffmaxee

It is sort of experimenting. I wasn’t sure how he responds to carbs and since he was dropping when you snot I thought it best to play it safe. Congrats on shooting your first green. It’s scary but gets contagious. Wait until you wake up with a 50 or 60 amps. Good night.

JaxBenji likes this.
  60. JaxBenji

Thank you and hope you have a good night too!

61. Butters & Lyla

Way to go, Susanne and Team Jax! Congrats on shooting your first green.:D Only four days after shooting your first blue. That's awesome!

JaxBenji likes this.