09/05/20 Dolly not eating/insulin? PMPS 268

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Our Dolly Girl (GA), Sep 5, 2020.

1. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

I am in California. Dolly is on 1.25 units of Lantus 2x a day. Not eating well especially today. Stared at me with that starving look for the last hour of her 2 hour fast pre-insulin. Tested her, gave her a couple treats and attempted to feed her. Tried 3 different foods (with FortiFlora). Smelled them, took a couple bites of the first then walked away from all. As a last resort, gave her Dr Elsey’s, ate a few bites. Gave her insulin. She seems fine and happy in every other way. She has sinus problems. Is it safe to give her Mirtazapine or am I masking something else? She just had labs done. I have never checked for ketones but took top off the litter box, waiting to see if she will use it. I have the strips. Any advice? Should I have withheld the insulin? Do I need to change her dosage? Sorry it takes me so long to explain. Normally she will finally eat but then maybe not. Worried about am and what to do if she doesn’t eat.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Are you still giving cerenia ? Did she get any today?So nausea is a problem. I’m in California as well.

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

What was the test number before the shot? ThereI don't see it on your spreadsheet.

4. tiffmaxee

It was 268. You have to hit the 2019-20 tab. You need to put PMPS 268 in your title please.

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks, I did not scroll down far enough.

6. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Yes on the Cerenia but the dosage is for congestion. Have no idea if it would help the nausea.

7. tiffmaxee

It’s actually used for nausea. You can give some mirtazapine if it works for her. The dose does not seem to need adjusting. Since you are feeding some dry you would follow SLGS. Have you read the methods page?

8. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

268 and I just tested her @ + 1.75, she is at 274

9. tiffmaxee

So the same. Her PMPS was fine to shoot if she were eating. If she doesn’t eat soon I’d give the mirt.

10. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Yes and doing SLGS. She gets very little dry. I use Cerenia for congestion. Mirtazapine does work for her. Gave it to Her last week.

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If she doesn't eat, you have a few choices. All involve giving insulin. Insulin is used for more than combating carbs in food. Even cats who are about to have anaesthesia and cannot eat, can still get a half dose. So, you typically are OK with at least a half dose. If you think she might eat in the next couple hours, you can probably give the full dose. Other options are giving insulin and assist feeding. Sometimes a little assist feeding would get Neko eating the rest of her food, or at least enough I felt OK with.

12. tiffmaxee

It’s fine to give it. Is she still congested? It’s likely effecting her appetite.

13. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

I gave her insulin after she ate a few bites of wet and dry. I will give her the Mirtazapine.

14. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

She usually will eat after a few hours. I gave her the full dose and just tested her.

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good for you. Paws crossed for some nice numbers tonight.

16. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

She has chronic sinusitis. That’s why she takes Cerenia. It’s commonly used for congestion. She hasn’t been on it long enough to see if it’s going to work.

17. tiffmaxee

I just looked it up because I’ve only given it for nausea. Is it a liquid or pill? Oh and happy belated birthday.

18. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

She
    She gets 1/4 tab of a 24mg tablet every 24 hours.

19. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you for the Birthday wishes. 75, I feel every year today.

20. tiffmaxee

:bighug: FD does that to your ! It will get better.

You did shoot before you posted, right?

21. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

I posted but didn’t wait for help. Usually I don’t hear back for awhile and thought of things I’ve read here, advice given, try not to skip insulin if possible. Felt she was high enough and that the little bit of food would hopefully keep her from a hypoglycemic event. She just came out of 7 months in remission.

22. tiffmaxee

You did it right!

23. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Yes I did give insulin before I posted. Sorry, brain is in worry mode. I said I gave insulin in my post. The last couple hours are a blur now. She just ate a little.

24. tiffmaxee

I saw but when I read what Wendy wrote it confused me.

25. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thanks for everything. :)