09/13/20 Dolly AMPS 222 SLGS Dosage help

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Our Dolly Girl (GA), Sep 13, 2020.

1. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...mps-239-slgs-dosage-help.234995/#post-2633878
    "Possible fur shot this AM." by me :( I don't usually give shots. I do the BG testing, my husband the shots.

Raised Dolly to 1.5 on 09/09/20. Urinalysis same day. I received results on 09/11/20, no UTI, no ketones, Glucose in the Urine. Vet (not my regular) suggested I raise her dosage. This is day 5 of 1.5 units. Do I stick to the week as suggested for dosing under SLGS and do a curve before making a decision on dosage? No idea if her bad numbers are a result of a fur shot or dosage not right.

Cerenia doesn't seem to be working on her congestion so the eating problem is still happening, gave her another dose of Mirtazapine yesterday.

Can minimal amounts of Dr Elsey's cause blood sugar raises?

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Dry can effect which is why it’s not allowed with SLGS.Also no way to know what happened on 9/11. Could have been an active cycle but you stopped testing. I know you can’t keep testing.

3. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Dolly is so good about testing but for the first time she was hiding and running. My head just said she needs a break. Maybe not the best decision. I am more than exhausted. I know this is a full time job, I don’t remember being this tired last time. The smoke from the fires does not help, hard to breathe and we are at least 35 miles away. I know it’s not helping Dolly’s sinus issues. And then there is the virus and this isolation. I’ve pulled the Dr Elsey’s. Thanks for your input.

4. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

About the congestion issue, it may be worth asking your vet about cyproheptadine. That's an antihistamine that also usually increases appetite. Normal cat dose is 2mg (1/2 a 4mg tablet), 1-2 times a day. I used this medication often at the rescue for cats with colds that weren't eating from congestion. It was often very effective.

You can't use it and mirtazapine at the same time, however.

5. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

If she needs a break from testing, maybe the FreeStyle libre sensor could be an option if your vet uses them and if you can afford it? That's a sensor applied to their skin that reads interstitial glucose levels, which you then scan with the FreeStyle libre to get the reading. It's slightly different than blood glucose testing, but it may help you fill in the gaps and give her some time in between bg tests.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

There have been a few members who have noticed their cats blood sugar go up with Dr. Elsey's dry. Though I think they are the minority. Dry food is allowed under SLGS, just not recommended in general for any cat. If you don't need to feed it, it'll be better for her.
    You do enough testing that we know she's not getting nadirs below 150, I think you can wait to the end of the 7 days, not bother with the curve (unless you want the data), then increase to 1.75 units.

Some people here have given their cat Zyrtec, under consultation with their vet on how much to give.

You were fine to stop testing for the rest of the day, she was flat. If you have a cycle where the +2 or +3 is higher than the preshot number, put away the test kit for the rest of the cycle. It's going to be a quiet one.

7. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you so much for the response and that I can quit the testing if she is higher at the +2 or +3. I did not know that and I’m sure Dolly will be happy. My vet has okayed the Zyrtec, she is just so hard to pill. She was on Azithromycin Liquid off and on for 2 years, not as an antibiotic. Dose every 72 hours. It stopped working. The Cerenia is so tiny I put it in half a pill pocket and roll it in FortiFlora. Good to know I can Increase to 1.75 after 7 days without a full curve. Thanks again.

8. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you, I will look into the FreeStyle. Dolly is so good about testing, her tail just wags away.

9. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

I will be talking to her doctor hopefully tomorrow. Dolly has had the congestion issue since we adopted her 7 years ago. We have tried so many things, grateful it doesn’t turn into upper respiratory infections like it used to. She had so many shots of Covenia throughout the years. I will ask about the cyproheptadine. Dolly also is a couple pounds overweight so dealing with that as well. I found some Fussie Cat that is low or no in carbs and low fat. She has had a lot of fish lately which she never ate before. I worry about too much of that but that’s pretty much the lowest in fat. The Mirtazapine makes her so hungry. Thank you so much for your help.

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  10. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

My guys has had allergies most of his life, but I found that the canned fish foods made his allergies worse. I guess I never noticed because he was on a prescription C/D diet for most of his adult like and then canned salmon+chicken. Don't know if changing some of the fishier foods might help during a flare up. We still has his seasonal allergies and we just use Chlorpheniramine now- used to use Singulair but I don't like that us can cause liver issues since he already had a history of elevated liver values.