09/14 Butters AMPS 86/+5 68/+6 97/PMPS 106/+2.5 94/

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Butters & Lyla, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    I jinxed myself out of a decent night's sleep. :facepalm: Woke up for +5 and she was 76 (was 128 @+2)! I wasn't sure if she'd keep going lower, and I was way too tired to find out. I know 70s do not cal for using HC, but did anyways, just so that I could get a little more sleep without worry (sorry Butters!).

Here is what I did:
    +2 128 Fed 2 tsp LC
    +5 76 Fed 1 tsp HC
    +7 73 Fed 1 tsp HC
    +9 78 Fed 1.5 tsp LC (10%)

Have a lovely day/evening, all.

2. Butters & Lyla

I made sure that I did.:D Used HC.
    Lesson learned! Butters clearly read what I wrote last night.

3. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Awww, I’m sorry you didn’t get much sleep...again! :facepalm: At least you didn’t need to do tests every 30 mins :cool:

4. Butters & Lyla

Right! I'm still tired but pretty pleased with myself for being able to go 2 - 3 hours between tests!

5. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Well that wasn't much of a break from catcation, Butters ;) Hope Butters surfs safely and you get some more sleep :bighug:

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Great start. I hope Butters surfs safely today.

7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Beautiful start! I hope she surfs all day :)

Not sure if you're testing hourly or not...but if you know when she nadirs, test around that to make sure she's not going to do anything silly and then maybe back off to testing every 90 minutes once you think she's settled...well that is if you can stand it for that long ... I tend to get my helicopter wings out myself...so I know how hard that can be...but seems like she's got a bit of a record going now...

Buckle up for the ride!

Have a great day Lyla!

8. Butters & Lyla

Last night I did not test hourly. I did a +2, +5, +7, +9. Yesterday in my condo you mentioned she seems to nadir at +5. The +5 was 74. So if this was her nadir, then could I have just left her alone, right, and let her surf out the night with some LC, and maybe gotten a test later on.:) I didn't trust her not to drop lower, but I could not get up hourly. So I used HC instead, to make sure she stayed safe during the two hours between tests.

It turns out I am not a super-human; I need to get some sleep in order to function. :cool:

I have put the HC away and gone back to her usual LC, which, by my unscientific calculation I'd put it at 2 - 3%.

9. Butters & Lyla

I studied Luci's spreadsheet and now I see exactly what you mean. You know when she nadirs, so you monitor hourly through that timeframe to make sure she doesn't go too low, and once you are comfortable that she has a solid rise going, you stop hourly and maybe wait for two hours. I am going to do the same, and still keep my eyes peeled for any funny business that she likes to pull. :rolleyes:
    I have trouble believing that Butters will continue with the cycles where she nadirs somewhere around +5, but I'll enjoy them for as long as they last! At least I know when it's safe to dash out for more cat food. :)

10. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Yep...you've got it. There's no hard and fast rule about nadirs - especially in that our kitties didn't read the owners manual on that one. One day the nadir is at one time and the next it's at another...but hopefully Butters will behave more normally and nadir at around the same time every day - so you'll know when you can safely leave the house...although that never really worked for me! Luci has a special built in radar - especially when I'm making a PLAN to go somewhere...she seems to know and takes one of her dives at that particular time...

Butters is sure looking good in green!!

11. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

What a nice cycle so far for today

13. Butters & Lyla

I did something that hurt Butters when I injected her tonight.:blackeye: She ran off with the needle hanging from her side:eek:. Around half the insulin got into her. I was able to inject the remainder, though she was very ticked off about it. I’m feeling very guilty. Hopefully she doesn’t hold it against me. It took me many weeks and a lot of bribery to get her to accept the shots in the beginning.

14. carfurby (GA)

Poor Butters. Just give her lots of loving. Cats are very forgiving. :bighug::bighug:

15. Butters & Lyla

I’ll do that. Thanks Carla. :bighug: I felt so guilty I couldn’t keep it to myself.

16. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

A few treats and cuddles and she will forgive you. You may have poked a muscle or something. Alice is skinny and hard to tent some days and she has had a couple shots that she didn’t like the feel of, and once she walked away from me with the needle still in her, just wagging around. ...Now I look back and chuckle a little at her antics. :)

I am glad you got any sleep last night! I’m exhausted myself this month. These marathon all-nighter weeks and months are a lot sometimes. :p

I am absolutely comfortable for my situation with giving syrup or high carb in order to prop up numbers to get some sleep once in awhile. You are definitely human and us beans require sleep at least once a month in order to keep being CG. ...Well, Alice told me I was allowed one good night of sleep a month, maybe more if she feels like being generous.
    Overall if you’re shooting for OTJ, it’s great to avoid it, yeah. But then there’s that saying, better high for a day than... well, hypo or... you know.

You’re doing so well! :)

17. Butters & Lyla

Lol yep all I saw as she ran away was the needle bobbing up and down in her side. :facepalm: She was always trying to run from me in the beginning, but usually the needle would just fall out. Not this time, though!

The all-nighters are a lot! Too much, sometimes. I think it's totally cool that you do what you need to prop her up and get some sleep. You're making sure she stays safe and looking after yourself, which is exactly what I did last night. I wasn't kidding when I said yesterday that I'm getting less sleep than my sister is with a new baby. We compare notes and she's the one who decided that! lol.
    I'd love to have Butters OTJ but the vet was very blunt and said it would never happen for her, so I'm not really thinking about that. She wasn't on steroids and was already was eating low-carb wet food, so it is hard to imagine OTJ for her anyways.

I've been following your condos and it's no wonder you're exhausted. :bighug: You are an amazing momma to your kitties. Some days what you're doing seems super-human to me. I would be doing the same, of course, if Butters needed me to. But Alice should think about being a tad more generous and allow you a few extra nights of good sleep per month.:cat: You know, as a way of saying thank you for all you do for her.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  18. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Bahaha. She is. Snoring away right now actually, I’m sure I should be trying to do the same!! :p I got a 3 hour nap in after PMPS so I’m feeling excellent. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. You should have seen the post-DKA recovery month and a half. Now that was some crazy crazy effort. Lol.

I operate like, I can theoretically aim for OTJ but if it doesn’t happen I’m not going to cry about it. We have done our best and we will keep doing so. If OTJ is a product of that effort, great. But as long as kitties are happy, I’m happy.

I babysit an infant and I compare with the mom all the time how much it’s like I have an infant. Baby likely has hirschsprungs so the mom and I even relate on managing bowel issues with our babies. Loss of sleep, feedings, staying up for medical care.... Recently I decided cats are the opposite of human kids. They start out like teenagers and end up like babies. :p

Okay Alice is snoring in the sweetest tiniest squeak kind of way and I have no regret for being awake again, right now.

Hope you get some rest for yourself!!

19. carfurby (GA)

I have no idea why your vet would say that. Vets don't really know and your vet may just not have experience with cats going into remission. Some cats have gone into remission after a year on insulin. It may not happen, but Butters is looking better and better. Of course the most important thing is for Butters to be healthy and happy. I just had to comment. That statement by your vet bugged me.