? 09-18 Panzer PMPS 76/73/58/60@+2/54@+3/49/49@+4/46/45@+5/46@+6/58@+7

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chrispooky12, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

Panzer is doing great on his new dose & feeding schedule. He's been hovering in the 50s quite a bit. I think this is his lowest shoot #on this dose but I'm not sure, I will have to double check his spreadsheet. Maybe he will drop under 50 tonight & start working towards another reduction.

Today was Spooks first day without Mirataz on his ear Panzers third day. I had to coax Spook this morning & give a little bit of fortiflora on the AMPS meal, other than that he's doing good. I will try this out until Thursday then cut down to half a pill each on ondansetron.

My question is....Can I check the unopened new lantus pens from DCIN in the refrigerator & make sure they aren't frozen? They are on the 2nd shelve down same one as the lantus vial that we are currently using & it's getting low. I don't want to run out & end up with frozen insulin. Also how do I use a pen once I get to it? I know I have to use a syringe like I am now but don't know if the top is the same as a vial because I haven't took the cap off of them. I've never used a pen so this will be all new to me. @Diane Tyler's Mom @Suzanne & Darcy @FrostD https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...e-hypo-trying-to-control.268230/#post-2999562

FrostD likes this.
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi! Good to bear the news about Spook and Panzer. It seems like things are going better and Panzer’s spreadsheet has soo much green :D Aren’t you glad you didn’t switch back to ProZinc!

with a pen, you just stick the syringe in to the tip where you pull the cap off. Do not insert any air into the pen like you would with the vial - because they work on negative pressure. They are easy and convenient.

I certainly hope they are not frozen. I would check them. There is a little clear window in the pens where you can look at the insulin. I always kept a digital refrigerator thermometer near my insulin to make sign it didn’t get too warm or too cold. I bought them from Amazon.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Chrispooky12
    Just take the cap off the pen and use a U100 syringes and pull the insulin out of the pen!
    [​IMG]

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  5. Suzanne & Darcy

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Panzer's SS looks great, why would you think the Lantus pens might be frozen?
    I've always kept them on the middle shelf and they were fine.
    Curious what's the expiration date on them
    @Chrispooky12

Remember it's
    If kitty drops below 40 (long term diabetic) you reduce , Panzer is long term or like you said 3 drops under 50 on three separate days
    I'm glad to hear they both are eating good

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    Chrispooky12 likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  8. Chrispooky12

Yes I am very glad I didn't switch back to prozinc! I think the feeding schedule has alot to do with those greens, I'm glad I decided to do it. I hope they continue to eat well too. It will be great to have them off the meds. I'm definitely going to get the refills to keep a stock of the meds though.
    I don't see a window on these pens, but I just checked one of them & it's not frozen had to waste a little bit of insulin into the sink but it's worth knowing they are not frozen.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  9. Chrispooky12

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

I could never find that window either

Suzanne & Darcy and Chrispooky12 like this.
  11. Chrispooky12

I'm just a worrier Lol. I checked one of them & it's not frozen. Expiration date is 4-30-2024. Yes I'm about to get a +2 test now.

12. Chrispooky12

13. Suzanne & Darcy

Just saying you can see the insulin through the clear part of the pen. See Diane’s diagram above. Doesn’t yours look like that?

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  14. Suzanne & Darcy

If you can’t see into the pen then you would not know how much insulin was left inside of it.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  15. Chrispooky12

Yes it looks just like that one. Let me look again.

16. Chrispooky12

I looked & I can't see anything. Maybe once I start using it I will be able to see it? I don't know I've never used a pen before. Since the pen is actual Lantus & not insulin glargine will it affect Panzer differently?

17. Chrispooky12

Well here's the first # under 50. I'm going to test in 30mins. His nadar is all over the place so this may be a long night. Glad I'm my own boss because I may not make it to work until after the +6 test & feed tomorrow, it all depends on what happens tonight & what his AMPS is.

18. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. The insulin is clear and none has been removed yet, right? Or not much anyway.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  19. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh wow. Congratulations on the reduction. I am sure you will be able to bring him up soon.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  20. Chrispooky12

Just what I pulled out earlier to make sure it wasn't frozen.

21. Chrispooky12

He's @46/45 retest I'm hoping he drops under 40 so we can reduce tomorrow otherwise we have to get 2 more days of dropping under 50. He's acting fine & they eat @+6 so a little less than an hour & I will feed unless he starts acting off before then, then I will test again & feed early if I need to.

22. Chrispooky12

46@ + 6 will retest in an hour & give MC or HC if he's not rising. Him & Spook are eating regular LC now. Spook is needing a little bit of coaxing hopefully we don't have to go back to Mirataz. Panzer cleaned his bowl. Spook ate all but a tiny bit.

23. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Suzanne I don't think he earned a reduction he didn't drop under 40, long term diabetic
    @Suzanne & Darcy

24. Diane Tyler's Mom

You're right he didn't earn a reduction again , he didn't drop under 40 yet, 2 more under 50 different days and he's earned , boy he's keeping you busy tonight
    @Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  25. Diane Tyler's Mom

Don't think so at all, a lot of members have started with Lantus then switched to glargine and never noticed a difference at all

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  26. Chrispooky12

Good to know thank you Diane :cat:

27. Chrispooky12

Panzer is @58 @+7 I gave 2tsps of MC so I can get some sleep. Hopefully we will drop under 50 tomorrow as well, 2 more times & we get another reduction....go Panzer go :D

28. Chrispooky12

Panzer & Spook have decided they don't like the chicken & liver pate. Panzer ate all of his with fortiflora, Spook licked his & wouldn't touch it again, so he ate some weruva, glad I still have quite a bit of it. I wish Panzer liked it :rolleyes: I thought Panzer was bouncing from last night because his AMPS was a little high & his +2 was super high, but he pulled a 99 out @+6.5 AMPS feeding. I'm taking a nap but will probably test him @+10 just to see where he's at. You never know with this boy :cat:

29. Chrispooky12

Spook only ate a few bites of weruva refused fancy feast ate his half of jar of baby food with probiotic. Will be putting Mirataz on his ear @+1 AMPS.