09.21.22 Chispa, 99 AMPS, 67 +2, 60 +3, 65 +4, 80 +6.5, 118 PMPS, 102 +2, 63 +3, 80 +4, 87 +5

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Karen and Chispa, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Karen and Chispa

Karen and Chispa Well-Known Member

2. Cali S

Cali S Member

What a great start! Chispa is a giant fan of this dose :)

Karen and Chispa likes this.
  3. Karen and Chispa

So it seems! I wonder if she sneaked a look at Faraday's SS for inspiration? :cat:

Cali S likes this.
  4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Looks like she was green all night :D

5. Karen and Chispa

I am guessing she was. I didn't get up to retest at +5 because her starting numbers were so similar from day to night and she had been surfing throughout the day. Just now she tested 67 after eating most of the meal I gave her at +1.5. I'm glad you told me to do that or who knows what it would have been? 67 is her lowest number ever, therefore alarming to me. Since she hadn't finished her meal, I gave her 4 Greenies treats -- and then she ate the rest of the meal. I can't find any information how many carbs are in one Greenie, but I've seen that some people use them to raise the BG. Four was just a guess.

6. Karen and Chispa

60 at +3, another record low!! I know this is supposed to be a "normal" number, but ... :nailbiting:

audravincent and Cali S like this.
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

She's doing great, yes those lower numbers can be scary at first. I hope Chispa surfs safely today .You're doing a great job :bighug::bighug::cat:

8. Karen and Chispa

Thanks, Diane! :cat::bighug:

9. Karen and Chispa

Ok … yikes. After a mostly steady day, Chispa has gone from 102 at +2 to 63 at +3. She did not finish her dinner (doesn’t seem to like the zero carb Tiki Cat that I mixed in); hoping I can find a snack that she’ll want to eat, so that she doesn’t continue to plummet. It’s going to be a long night.

10. Bandit's Mom

She typically flattens out from +3, so let's see how it goes. Would be good is she eats something :)
    Was her last meal at PMPS?

11. Karen and Chispa

Hi Bhooma - thanks for weighing in. I fed her a full meal at +9.5 and she had eaten about half of it by PS, then continued to nibble at it until +2.5. I gave her a 10% snack at +3, and IT WORKED — she is up to 80 at +4! Thank you so much for being here in the middle of (our) night. :bighug::cat:

Should I retest at +5, or is it ok to leave her a meal and hit the hay?

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  12. Karen and Chispa

Now that I think of it … the part of her dinner that she ate before PS was the higher carb stuff. She left the zero carb Tiki Cat mostly untouched until sometime after her shot. I’ll bet her numbers would not have dropped so much if there had been more carbs in the dish when she finished the meal …?

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  13. Bandit's Mom

Are you not withholding food 2 hours before her shot?

14. Karen and Chispa

I’ve been feeding her 2 hrs before shots, and usually she cleans her plate right away. Today she has been slower to finish her meals for some reason. Should I have picked up the remainder at PS -2?

15. Bandit's Mom

Yes, you want to pick up the food by +10 so that the preshot test is not influenced by food. Why do you feed so late in the cycle? You typically want to feed in the first half of the cycle when the insulin action is strongest. Some cats get stomach acid if there is a long gap between meals and those CGs feed a small snack in the second half.

ETA: Why was she being fed higher carbs at +9.5?

16. Karen and Chispa

I started feeding her smaller meals 5-6x/day when she started having digestive issues a couple of years ago (now controlled with pred). We both got used to that schedule (with the help of the automatic feeder at night) and I just never changed it. She does get stomach acid if too much time goes by without a meal, but I could try giving her only snacks in 2nd half of cycle.

17. Bandit's Mom

Small meals is fine. Pick up the food 2 hours before the shot.

18. Karen and Chispa

Her meals are 1/2 Weruva (4%) and 1/2 kidney diet (16%). Sometimes I mix them and sometimes I feed them side by side in the same dish, but either way it comes out to about 10% carbs overall. Every time I try to increase the percentage of Weruva to lower the total carb count, she gets diarrhea. I’d hoped to start replacing the Weruva gradually with zero-carb Tiki Cat, but she doesn’t seem to like it. But that’s why there were three different kinds of food in her dish.

19. Karen and Chispa

87 at +5 and I’m hitting the hay. Good night. :)

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  20. Bandit's Mom

Oh yeah. Sorry I forgot about the food issue. Better to mix it rather than give it side by side. So she doesn't eat only in the HC!