09/22/20 Dolly PMPS 221 SLGS Dosage help +5.5 247

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Our Dolly Girl (GA), Sep 22, 2020.

1. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...s-197-nothing-token-wait.235439/#post-2637140
    I need advice on dosage. I have read and read dosing instructions and Dolly's numbers seem to be going nowhere and I can't seem to figure out what I should do. Checked for ketones, negative. I really don't know if the answer is to raise her to 2 units (obvious) or to decrease or hold dose for another few days, do a curve and see what happens. I am lost.

I really need direction!! Her poor ear.

2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

It looks like you're following SLGS dosing method...so with that method, you need to hold for at least 7 days; here's the specific information from the stickie:

Hold the dose for at least a week:
    • Unless your cat won’t eat or you suspect hypoglycemia
    • Unless your kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L). If kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L) decrease the dose by 0.25 unit immediately.
    Since you're on SLGS, you're going to have to ride it out...when/if you can switch to TR you can change the dose every 3 days.

Hope this is helpful!

Sorry that her ear is sore, guess paws are out? Have you considered a Libre?

3. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thanks so much for your response. I have read the instructions over and over and with the exceptions of going from the 1.75 back to the 1.5 and then back to the 1.75 (with the help of people here). I will ride it out and do a curve. She is an angel for shots and testing but only the left ear is allowed :facepalm:. There is so much scar tissue (I think that's it) that it's hard to get blood. She was bleeding beautifully. I am trying to figure out her nadir, thought the +5.5 was it. I guess I just want to understand why, like today, her number went up. Am I doing something wrong? I will look into the Libre as a last resort. Thank you again for your help.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Nadirs can and do change from cycle to cycle, though many cats have a "typical" nadir. Things like cycles with bounces, or clearing bounces can change the timing.

Some cats take 6 cycles before they'll show you what a dose can do. Today's only the fifth cycle. Patience is your friend.

5. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Got it. Not sure where my patience went but it certainly helps to be reminded. Thank you!!