09/27/20 Dolly AMBG 56 SLGS +1 - 72 +1.75 - 81 won't eat

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Our Dolly Girl (GA), Sep 27, 2020.

1. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...nput-on-her-dosage-again.235974/#post-2644886
    Dolly was at 56 almost two hours ago, Stalled 1 hour she went up tp 72. Forty five minutes later 81. No insulin, gave her a few treats which she ate, ate only a few bites of food. She is scared of me now. Is this an emergency situation? I hate to sound ignorant but never had this happen with AMPS, not that low and not eating. Peeing normal, no diarrhea, alert. Do I give her Mirtazapine? She had it two days ago. She had recent blood and urine.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

With no shot and her going up to 81 it’s not an emergency at this time. Any history of DKA ? Get a ketone test. Cerenia sounds like a good idea to me.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

Reduction earned to 1.50 btw.

4. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

No DKA. I was asking about Mirtazapine to stimulate her appetite. I only have Cerenia dosed for congestion. It’s a 24mg pill I cut in quarters. Don’t know the dose for nausea. I will get a ketone Test as soon as I get her out from behind the couch.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

I have never shot low numbers like these. Not comfortable unless she goes up some more. Also, she is not eating.

6. tiffmaxee

Sorry. My mind went to nausea but she already gets that med. you could try mirt. Does she see extra congested? Have you ever used cyproheptadine or zyrtec for congestion? If not I would run that by your vet.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

I was not talking about shooting this morning. That’s her new dose for tonight and going forward. I would not shoot this morning unless she jumps up a lot without food on next test.

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Vet said no to Zyrtec. She said I could change the Mirtazapine to the cyproheptadine but it won’t help her congestion. She is very congested this morning. I have to put FortiFlora on all her food. Not working today. She is up to 130 at +3. Her ketone test is 0.3.

Reason for edit: Typo
  9. tiffmaxee

I’d skip and feed her watery food. See what others think if you want to shoot.

10. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

She is at 130 at +3, very little food. Her ketone level is 0.3. I gave her Mirtazapine. For now she’s not eating.

11. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you :)
    I took Dolly off of the Cerenia for congestion because it wasn’t working. I looked up dosage for nausea and could probably give her half of the 24 mg tablet and be safe. Any thoughts? I’m guessing she’s nauseous.

12. tiffmaxee

It does sound like nausea. I’d try it. You do need the larger dose I have found with the pills. The shots work best but sting. I’ve tried shots with two. One time each. Could not give them a second time as it clearly hurt.

13. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

She’s had the shots at the vet several times, I’ve never done it myself. I roll the pills in a 1/2 pill pocket and roll in FortiFlora. It’s been a game changer for giving her a pill. Right now she’s not interested in anything she has to eat. I hate to force anything right now and she is incredibly strong when turning her neck when I try to pill her. Praying the Mirtazapine kicks in soon. It’s transdermal.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  14. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

@Our Dolly Girl

With her PMPS at 304, she needs insulin even if she's not eating much. I'd go ahead and give her the insulin but since she dropped below 90 today, she earned a reduction back down to 1.5

Can you syringe feed if you needed to?

By the way, you have her PMPS as 56....if that was this morning like it shows on your spreadsheet, that should read AMBG (AM Blood Glucose instead of AM Pre-Shot since you didn't shoot) Just a bit of housekeeping

15. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you. She is a nightmare to syringe. She’s very strong and I’m not very strong. She’s been on and off Azithromycin, syringe for the last two years. It’s every 72 hours for congestion as opposed to an antibiotic. Her ear looks so red, can only use the right one Per Dolly.
    09/27/20 Dolly PMPS 56 SLGS +1 - 72 +1.75 - 81 won't eat

16. Chris & China (GA)

Sometimes we have to go against our vets to help our cats. Zyrtec is safe to use in cats and cyproheptadine is an antihistamine so may very well help!

Azithromycin IS an antibiotic!! A very strong one and may be what's making her nauseous and not interested in eating.

????

On your spreadsheet you have 56 as her AMPS (morning Pre-Shot)....in the title of this thread, you have PMPS 56......her PMPS is the 304 you just got (if you decide to go ahead and shoot)

Your title today should be 9/27/20 Dolly AMBG 56.........." because this morning, when you tested you got a blood glucose of 56 which was too low to shoot. If you don't give insulin, instead of calling it the AMPS, you call it the AMBG in the Title of your thread

Our Dolly Girl (GA) likes this.
  17. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Got it, thank you.

18. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Do you know the dosage of Zyrtec for a cat?

19. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

She ate a little bit. Maybe I gave her too many choices. Rarely offer it but even tried Dr Elsey’s. I know it’s not a good choice but would like something in her belly. She ate some canned food, about 5 + bites.

20. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thanks for all the input and support. :)

21. Chris & China (GA)

Zyrtec (Cetirizine) is 2 1/2 to 5mg every 12-24 hours

Chlor Trimeton (Chlorpheniramine) is 2-4mg every 12 hours

22. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you. Sorry for more questions but your thoughts on how many more times I need to test tonight based on the 304 Preshot and 285 @ + 2. Is is it enough to do +4 unless her numbers are off. thank you.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  23. Chris & China (GA)

I'd try to get a +4 and if she's not dropping fast, you could probably call it a night.

I'll need to get off here now because I have a lot of things to do over the next several days due to the death of my mother last week, but if you need help, edit your subject line and make it clear you need someone's attention quickly (you can always go back and change it later)

@Bron and Sheba (GA) has been on lately more and she's in Australia where it's evening but she's also dealing with health problems so I'm not sure she'll be on later.

24. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

25. Chris & China (GA)

It will depend on what the +4 is.....but remember, as long as you're able to test, YOU are in charge of her blood glucose. If you need help, like I said, edit your subject line to say something like "I NEED HELP!" .....You can also cross-post in the FD group.

26. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I can be around if you need help tonight. Just tag me but I will look in every so often too
    How long until the+4 ?

27. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you for your help. My deepest sympathy for the loss of your mom. I am so sorry!!

28. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

I just did a + 5 and she only dropped 2 points to 283. Thanks for being there.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Reason for edit: Typo
  29. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

That’s good, you can sleep!