09 OCT: Teasel: Short Report

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kris & Teasel, Oct 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Teasel has now been on Lev for two and and a half weeks. It's still early days and I'm still in the stage of carefully raising his dose. Here are some observations and thoughts about Lev in Teasel:
    • he definitely feels better - more active, vocal (in a good way), etc. The 5Ps are well demonstrated.
    • Lev is a mercurial beast in my kitty: it can give him lovely long surfs of 12+ hours but also seems to act more like an in and out insulin at other times (ProZinc-ish to me)
    • the depot action seems to be less robust and consistent than that of Lantus: once the low hours are done, they're done and BG rises fast and fairly high
    • the spikes in BG "feel" less like true bounces and more like insulin poop out to me
    • there's less drama in his cycles for the most part and things happen later. I've set up a regular night time routine because that's when he's been lowest.
    I'm going to press on and try to figure out more of the quirks of Lev mainly because I like Teasel's clinical signs on it. :) Maybe my observations will be useful to someone else who's considering a move to Lev.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Overall it sounds like Teasel is doing pretty good on Lev. Nice update for those who are interested in switching.

3. Kris & Teasel

Thanks, Carla. I thought it might be useful for others. I do know, though, that Teasel is tricky. :)

4. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Happy to hear that Teasel is doing better on the Lev!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Thanks, Kris! I hadn't looked that closely at your recent numbers, but you're right, those are awfully prozinc-y looking smile curves! I don't love seeing the pinks showing back up in Teasel's numbers though.

As usual for him, he's showing himself to be very sensitive to dose changes with a lime green at 2.0s, but pink at 1.75.

It also looks like he's hitting his lower numbers around +6-+7, and not as late in the cycle as I thought was typical for Levemir. There are a few cycles where he hit much later, but it looks like most are in the middle. Good to know since I've been thinking when we switch I'd need to be watching for very late nadirs. It would sure help if every cat wasn't different!

Thanks so much for sharing your observations so far. It really does help to read about different experiences with Levemir!

6. Kris & Teasel

We're working on those pinks, Djamila. I raised his dose to a skinny 2.0 u this AM. Here's hoping he doesn't dive tonight. That lime green 38 I got a week ago was one of the lowest BGs he's ever had.

7. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice to hear an update on Teasel.

8. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Very nice update. Informative, thank you

9. Kris & Teasel

10. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Looking like Lev is serving him well and 2 1/2 weeks isn't very long so I would expect even more positive things. Keep up the good work, Teasel! :cat:

11. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Good news! Glad Teasel is feeling better on Lev:cat:

12. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Hi Kris ! Good to hear from you :bighug:. Elmo sends greetings to his Canadian cousins :bighug: We dealt with a little stomach virus in all 3 brown boys here lately but with homeopathic remedy they are all on the mend ! Hugs and scritches to you and yours, Kris :):bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.