1/10 Moses - Missed his usual AMPS! Should I skip?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Erica & Moses, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Hey everyone, I made a big boo boo. I slept through my alarm (I've bee pretty sick) and it's about 2 hours later then Moses' usual prick and insulin time.

I read that you're supposed to skip it after 2 hours. What do ya'll think?

2. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

Do you have a schedule that you are tied to during the week?, like, if you shot now, would you be able to shoot at around the same time tomorrow?

3. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Heather and Jasper - I can not stray from Moses' routine of AMPS at 6:30 and PMPS at 6:30. I have to be at work at 7:00 in the mornings, 5 days a week. So I would not be able to have a repeat testing of 8:30 anytime soon this week.

4. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

usually skipping a shot is not recommended on Lantus, but since you are on such a tight schedule for the week and you just started it should be okay. I'm saying this since we really don't have enough data yet on Moses to see how he would react on shooting early numbers to make up 2 hours by tomorrow.

I know it sucks sticking to a 12 hour schedule on the weekend (especially when your sick!) but many of us have learned to become masters in the art of BTB'ing (back to bed) ;-)

5. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

I think you just answered your own question.... :D

6. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Thanks for the obvious, Brenda and Morris :D

You're right, Heather & Jasper. That's what I gathered. I just woke up from my slumber and freaked when I remembered Moses. I was reallllly looking forward to getting a full curve today, too! Such a bummer. I'll have to do it on my next off day.

Thanks for your honest opinion and speedy reply.

Moses is totally ready for his 2 hour late breakfast, poor guy :sad:

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I just want to put this out on the table for consideration.... Is it possible for your schedule to move your shot times earlier? There will, no doubt, be times when you'll need to delay a shot. As Moses is making progress, skipping may cause him to lose momentum.

Also, when you have a few spare moments, could you complete a profile? There's a template and instructions on how to link this to your signature in the Tech forum. It will save you from having to answer basic questions about Moses' health, diet, etc. all the time.

8. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Woah!!! Moses was BOSSY at breakfast! I haven't heard that kinda demanding yowl in a long time. Big boy is big time hungry.

Good point, Sienne & Gabby. I really think 6:30 remains the perfect time to shoot. It was truly my bad for forgetting to hit the alarm switch last night and I'll need to remember the importance of BTB. I don't ever want to repeat that, b/c the last thing I want to happen is for Moses to lose momentum, especially when he's on schedule for a while. What I'll need to do it set 2 alarms, b/c I never want a repeat.

In my free time, I'll definitely create a profile for Moses. It's important and good info to know off the bat.

Thanks everybody for your help. Moses gets an insulin-free Sunday today b/c momma was MIA this morning. But come pm, I'll be ready.

Thanks!

9. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Fur shots happen ;-)

If you wanna have some fun today, and you're up to it, you could poke him before breakfast, and 1 hr, 2 hrs and 3 hrs after breakfast to see if he gets a food spike. If his BGs go up, it won't rule out a food spike, b/c there's also lack of insulin in the picture. But if stays pretty even throughout those 4 hours, then he probably does not have food spikes. Also good practice for poking. You don't have to, of course - some ppl like to conserve strips - me, I just try to make the most of a situation like this but then I'm odd :D

10. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

I used to always hit the snooze button 2-3 times before I got up....then I moved the alarm clock across the room and away from the bed so I had to get out of bed to silence it....no more oversleeping! :lol:

11. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Re: 1/10 Moses PMPS 326

So Moses had the morning off from his shot and we made up for it tonight.

I fear we lost a little momentum but we're still on a roll. He was hovering around his food bowl a lot today and meowing for crunchies. I haven't heard any requests for the crunch in a while, so he needs to continue that juice before his cravings pick up.

He's been a great boy today. A bit bossy. I'm sure he'll be bakin' a lot of biscuits tonight in bed, that's the forecast. (b/t/w- I mean kneading when I say bakin' biscuits)

*I'd love for somebody to tell me the story behind "the falls". I know it's the off the juice party, yet I'm curious how it pertains to a cascade of water. So much awesome symbolisms in this place :lol:

Have a great night!

12. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

I just love biscuit makin kitties :mrgreen:
    Glad that he is adjusting well to his canned diet!
    Fingers and paws crossed for a full shed and beautimous numbers for Moses :D

13. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

I have not posted in your condo before so I would like to say hello to you and Moses and welcome. :D
    I just thought I would help out a little and clarify what Sienne meant about moving shot times earlier. (I hope you don't mind Sienne) You have your AMPS time at 6:30am and need to be at work by 7:00am. There will be a time when your AMPS may be a little low and you may be uncomfortable shooting low. With such a tight schedule as it stands now it does not give you much room to stall for a number to rise and you may have to skip a shot which is not the best thing to do on Lantus. If you do shoot a lower number it is also wise to get a +1 or +2 to see if it is rising.
    A lot of people get up earlier to shoot so they have some room to stall and test if they need to. I guess that also depends on what time you get home from work for the PMPS. Just something to think about .

14. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

not bad for a missed shot. :smile:

Lantus Land slang dictionary: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... sg-1402630

(also linked in the New to the Group sticky at the top of the forum).

Off the Juice = Honeymoon = Niagara Falls (except Lantus Land kitties go to Iguazu Falls in Brazil, because it's Pelusa's favorite). :cool:

15. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Libby and Lucy, you're always so positive, I like it!

Nice to meet you Miriam and Putty. I've been reading about Putty and I'm glad he's feeling better. I will have to think about scheduling to get up earlier :?

*Typically, how much time do people want to have to stall, in case the numbers low? My bigger question is... how early are people getting up in the mornings to test/shoot their kitties?

I'm kinda getting worried b/c Moses has been really grumpy since his PMPS 2 hours ago. Really sleepy and annoyed, which is not like him. Normally, If I come over and bury my face in his tummy, he wakes up purring and baking it in the air. I went ahead and tested him at +2 and it was the moodiest he's ever been...

In fact, he's been great through this whole process, really has! Since Day #1 I've been so surprised and relieved on his tolerance level... But now, it seems it's changing. The past 2 insulin shoots, he's taken a couple bites and nervously looks around. He's even straightened up when I shoot, which scares me. Tonight he stopped eating after 2 bites, I think b/c he was scared. I hope I'm not hurting him so much that he'll refuse the shots. nailbite_smile

And tonight's ear prick, he kept pulling his ear back and using his paw to block. He's never done that. I'm getting worried...

Maybe extra cuddles for him?

16. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Erica and Moses
    Most kitties will do that near the beginning of poking the ears, they do get use to it and it gets easier, offer a small treat if u can and talk gently and pet him. All those good positive things will reinforce that pokey time doesn't mean hurty time for Moses.

Besides its for his own good! And you'll love the results as he starts to act like a happy healthy kitty! :D

17. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Thanks Ronnie and Luna, I really needed to hear that. (sigh of relief)

And congrats on the great #s and trial days :D Those #s look so good, you've been working hard. And I like reading all the details about Luna's day.

What a great pick me up. I'm off to bed, whew.

Goodnight!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.