1/10 Webber PMPS [317] +3 [293]

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by paige, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paige

paige Well-Known Member

2. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

Re: 1/10 Webber AMPS 314

congratulations on getting the test in!

Testing does get easier for everyone! These days, I just have to tell my cat that its time for a test and he comes running to me (because he knows he gets lots of loven with the tests!)

3. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Great that you got a test!! It took me months to be able to BG test Moonie--we relied on urine testing which is really shooting blind more or less-UGH!! Now, she goes to test spot. I give her freeze dried chicken treats, do her ear while she is eating, shoot, and that's that :lol:
    It sounds easy but took a Long Long time to get that way--you are already half way there--Good Job! :RAHCAT

4. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thank you ladies :D

What is funny is that the other three civilians know he gets treats after testing (so they know they get treats too) flip_cat

It is a funny site to see---three beggars huddling around me and Webber waiting for the treats. They all absolutely love the freeze dried salmon. As a matter of fact I am just about out. Need to run to Petsmart. Sometimes I think I should buy stock in Petsmart. hehe

5. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Congrats on the AMPS testing! It's so good to hear Webber warming up to it. Should make for good progress b/c I noticed all the testing you plan on doing today.

I look forward to seeing your results! Keep up the good work, Webber! Oh and keep up the goods, Paige. Never want to run out of the salmon :mrgreen:

6. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Re: 1/10 Webber AMPS [314] +3 [278]

Webber is looking good & Momma too :RAHCAT

Keeping an eye on Webber's SS today...happy testing & cheering for a slow & steady decrease in BG!

7. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thank you Nicole. Sorry Baby went up and it is not the right time to shoot. You're going to shoot at 5pm?

8. Nicole & Baby

No worries, I think Baby is right on track - doing what is expected of her lil self!
    I was happy with the reading this morning, I am sure she will bring herself back down. I am switching my time to 4am/4pm.
    I am soo nervous about leaving her home alone without a BG Test during my workday - so this 4am/4pm - will allow me to be home with her for up to 3 hours after her 1st dose, so I will kind of know how the shot affected her #s. I am off to get a timed feeder..will check back.

9. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: 1/10 Webber AMPS [314] +3 [278] +6 [309]

Boohoo :YMSIGH: :sad:

He doesn't seem to be reacting at all to the Lantus. Is this usual? Is this what happens until the storage shed fills up?

10. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Need some thoughts here.

According to Tilly's protocol if the cat is consistantly having a nadir >200 you should increase the dose every 2-3 days
    "Hold each dose for 5-7 days. However, if the cat is producing continuously high BGs (nadir always >=300 mg/dl), only hold the dose for 2-3 days before increasing it by 0.5 IU. Alternatively, if the cat is continuously producing moderately elevated BGs (nadir always >=200 mg/dl), increase the dose every 2-3 days by 0.25 IU ( if the cat is getting a low dose) or 0.5 IU (if the cat is getting a higher dose)."

Tonights PM shot will complete a three day cycle. I am considering increasing his dose to 1U, BUT I know how much knowledge and experience i have at my fingertips on this message board.

Sorry I know it has only been 3 days for gosh sakes. Here I go again.....just a little worry wart I am. Please put me in line if this is too soon.

11. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Hi Paige!
    Im going to leave to folks with more experience to explain the dosing/storage shed issue.

One thing I will say is something that was told to me in the beginning....Its a marathon, not a race. And yes, many times it will be frustrating. I frustrated daily, LOL.

Take a look at other folks spread sheets. Study them a bit and see where they started, how long they stayed at doses, where their cats numbers were on the increases...watch them earn decreases, and then have to increase again because it doesnt stick, notice the bounces. You can definately learn from other's ss. But also, it might help put you at ease a little more because you will see you are not alone in this process.

Hang in there. You are doing great!

12. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

LOL
    Saw this coming.
    Go get a beverage, you're gonna have a long week.

Answers:
    No and no

I will explain like it was explained to me. Kitty has little storage shed inside him, like one of those gardening sheds that you put your lawn stuff in. Every shot you give him 1/2u insulin. Body uses 1/4u and puts other 1/4u in storage shed. As soon as shed is full, body can use whole dose of 1/2u and suddenly his numbers will improve. No way to tell how long before shed fills. You'll know it when it's full though. :) Goal = get shed filled without overfilling it. Takes time. Must be patient. (Can anyone recognize who told me this story? ;-) )

13. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: 1/10 Webber AMPS [314] +3 [278] +6 [309] Question!

Yes Carollyn you are so right. You told me so, lol.

I added another post. I am hoping (and you came through) that I am just being paranoid and need to step back and look at the big picture. HAHAHA ohmygod_smile

14. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Ok check with the stickies, it's been a long time since my first dose of Lantus, but I think if I recall correctly that we advise to hold the first dose a full 7 days here on LL, and that subsequent adjustments are done after the 8th cycle (4 days) ***edited to add*** and in 1/4u increments, not 1/2u. You can spend this week learning how to eyeball .75u :shock:

15. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi Paige me again :mrgreen: -not stalking honest, was actually going to say have answred in your health post and want to make sure you see it as I urge serious caution (though you may not have even thought to follow the suggestion)

On another nore-Ha Webber :mrgreen:

The Tilly protocol. Here we use a similar but slightly less 'aggressive' version of this.
    Thus, you hold the initial (first) dose 5-7 days. Depennding on numbers it may be suggested 5 rather than 7 but definitely 5 as explained in an earlier post with the shed filling up.

There is an awful lot to take it but it really will all slot in place very quickly.

Also we recommend increases in dose increments of .25u (only kitties that are suspected/confirmed high dose that do bigger ones.)This is so you don't miss kitty's ideal dose.

Your doing great with the testing, keep it up (35 goes our first time-remember it well!!!)

16. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thank you Carolyn and Kate *edit - Carolyn's*. After I wrote that last post I talked with my husband and told him "I will wait 7 days anyway". hehe Talk about a roller-coaster of emotions. Mother Nature does not help with that either right now ;-)

But you are right, 0.75U. Boy is that gonna be hard to eyeball. @-)

I trust you all, really!!! Thank you bunches for allowing me to pose my questions and for always talking me through my fits. All of my babies are special, but Webber is a little extra special right now because of his orthopedic surguries he has had in his short 4 years of life. His last one was just 6 months ago, and I was his body to heal from this just as quickly as the others did. But, this is different. It is so hard for me to think about how his body must feel.

He is a real trooper though, so we have that on our side.

17. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Patience. :D

Also (just to go ahead and get this out there) - just because you started on the same day as someone else (or lots of someone elses!) doesn't mean that your cats will take the same path. I can almost guarantee that they won't. Cheer each other on, become friends, it's what makes LL so great. But no comparing kitties, ok? :lol:

18. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hahaha LIbby. Well said, well said. Thanks!!!

19. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: 1/10 Webber AMPS [314] +3 [278] +6 [309] +9 [264]

Can we say "rollercoaster Webber". Up and down and up and down. I hope this doesn't make him feel bad.

20. Nicole & Baby

Yellow!! Way to go Webber..looking good! may be up & down..but not drastic!

21. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Libby & Lucy - Great advice. Thanks for the heads up.

Webber, Furbaby, and Moses are very unique :mrgreen: No comparisons necessary. I'm learning tons, thanks for the tips. Doing good Webber!

22. paige

paige Well-Known Member

1/10 Webber PMPS [317] Question?

Is this normal at the beginning?

pink--yellow--pink--yellow--pink
    314----278----309---264-----317

23. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/10 Webber PMPS [317] Question?

yep, it's fine. Lantus gives very flat curves when it's used right. Eventually we'll shift that flat curve down until it's blue and green. High/flat is very normal at first.

24. paige

paige Well-Known Member

((((Libby)))) That makes me soo happy right now.

Now if he could just have a bowel movement. TMI-I know. hehe :eek:

25. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Webber is doing great. And you're doing a great job at asking questions. It's a wonderful way to learn. This is a steep learning curve at the beginning.

26. paige

paige Well-Known Member

This is quite funny.
    Today we officially had the following: pink, yellow, pink, yellow, pink,yellow

One thing I can say for Webber is that he is consistant :roll:

Good night.

27. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I don't recall seeing someone already saying this so here goes - Webber is gonna do what Webber wants to do.

Those are really nice yellows, but if you take away the colors, you will see that Webber is just zigzagging a bit in a small range that just happens to fall halfway in the pink and half in the yellow range.

If you were to look at Shadoe's ss, you would see she is often doing much the same only hers is all in the pinks.

I much prefer those slow and steady numbers instead of the freaky drops that some kitties have and then the following bounces; give me a slow steady decline any day!

Put the numbers aside for a second and look at how Webber's doing; that's more important than any yellow and pink numbers right now. Does Webber seem better than before? Watch for signs of the old Webber coming back, and with time, when Webber is good and ready, you will see the lower numbers follow.

Give Webber some chin scratches and a nice belly rub; maybe that will help too. If not for Webber, then for you.

Let's see some nice numbers tomorrow, Webber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.