1/11 Buzz- AMPS 415 advice please

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sarah and Buzz, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Tonight's PMPS will be 3 days of Buzz being on this dose. She hasn't been out of the 300s in this time (at least not that I've seen) and has been in the 400s a couple of times. If I am reading the guidelines correctly, I should increase her dose by 0.5u tonight, so I would be giving 1.0u. Is this correct? Do we take into account that she started on 1u and got a really good reaction?

Thank you! :)

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

really did look blueee on the first day.
    Let's see what kind of feedback u get. But just in case, nothing else going on with Buzz? Eating ok, all P's good?

3. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah.
    You understand the guidelines of Tilly/Rand correctly.
    Completed 6 cycles at this dose.
    BG levels have been consistently above 300.
    Advance to the next dose by .50u.

New dose is 1.00u

Good luck and good work at reading the stickies at the top of the page. Yeah, for Sarah!!

4. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

I agree with Carolyn - the new dose should be 1u. The reaction the first dose happens occasionally and then often doesn't carry through to following cycles. Just monitor as you normally would.

We sometimes do hold the initial starting dose for 5-7 days to allow the shed to be constructed, but as you are not a newbie to diabetes being a little more aggressive with these numbers is perfectly reasonable, IMHO.

5. Sarah and Buzz

Yay, I understand something! :) Woohoo!

Yep, Ronnie, all is going pretty well with Buzz. She is still eating just fine (knock on wood) and acting normally. We will be giving her subQ fluids today in a couple of hours, or at least attempting to anyway. In case you didn't see my post on it from before, the reason for this is because her bloodwork came back on Saturday with elevated BUN and creatinine levels. Vet said to keep her well-hydrated. I have been adding water to her food but I do not know if that is enough or not. We had gotten the bag of fluids just in case as it was the weekend and we did not want to be faced with an ER visit if things went south. Buzz's coat is dry and flaky, and the scruff does not snap back right away (although quicker than it did on Saturday). I figured since we have the fluids, we might as well do a dose or two to be safe. Otherwise, nothing is going on with her.

I will increase to 1.0u at tonight's dose and monitor her closely. Too bad her shot isn't until 11:30 p.m. :(

Thanks, everyone! :)

6. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

In older cats (not sure how old Buzz is...), the snap test is not always an accurate assessment of hydration. Cats do tend to lose elasticity in that area, and skin may not snap back as it would in a young kitty. Another way to judge hydration status is the gums - if they are slick/wet or tacky/sticky.

Where do you shoot Buzz with insulin? If you are giving fluids, you will want to try and shoot the insulin further away from the area that you give fluids (scruff/saddle). I always gave fluids on the opposite side of Sasha's insulin (always shoot insulin on right side and give SQuids on left side).

Good luck with the new dose! Bet Buzz will be back to greens and blues in no time. :smile:

7. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

good luck with the dosecrease!

8. Sarah and Buzz

Thanks, shot time is in 45 minutes. :) I will post here if anything funky happens, but hopefully it's just a nice slow drop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.