1/11- GIDEON BLUE -AMBG=70, +19=69, PMBG=66

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shiloh567, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the no insulin experiment.

Shiloh567 likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Looking good in green!

Shiloh567 likes this.
  4. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

So, is the hope that he remains in the GREEN with the Relion glucometer?
    If he goes into the BLUE, do we go back to giving a drop of Lantus BID?
    Just trying to know what to do when. The questions arise when we have done a BG test, and don't have time to post for a reply.
    Thank you everyone. You put so much work into this group (and other groups). Forever grateful!
    -Shiloh

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Let’s see the numbers, give the +9 snack and see what happens. On a human meter if we see 50-80 he’s definitely ready for the official trial. Give this a few days and if get a test over 100 test again about three hours after eating.

6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

If he’s got a stray BG here and there below 120, then let’s let it ride a bit and continue with the food trial. But if you start seeing more than just a spot of blue here and there or we start seeing the BG creep up above 120, then we need to think about going back to a drop.

If you are posting every day, there’s no need to jump into giving more insulin. In other words, for example, if you get a 150 at preshot, just feed and recheck in three hours. If he’s not coming down, then we can advise to shoot some insulin the next PS.

Great start today!! Did you give a +9 snack last night?

7. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

good luck w the food trial :bighug::D:bighug::D

8. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Sorry, I am quite confused about this +9 snack. Gideon is free fed and has a good appetite. We are still lifting the food 2 hours before testing.

9. Marje and Gracie

It takes about three hours after feeding for the pancreas to release endogenous insulin and drop the BG. Gideon’s preshots have been higher than the rest of the cycle. If his pancreas is working and you feed at what would normally be three hours before his PS, then the PS would be lower. This is called a food trial. If his BG does not drop, then it’s an indication he’s going to need some insulin support.

Our goal is to get the PSBG (preshot BG) in green as much as possible. It doesn’t matter if he’s free-fed or not and if he’s not on insulin, the no-feeding two hours before PS doesn’t matter (actually, for a really experienced member with lots of data, it rarely matters if they know their cat). If you aren’t there or not awake to feed at +9, an auto feeder works.

10. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

I test at 7AM & 7PM, plus several other times. I don't have a auto feeder, and I have other kitties. So, you are saying I do not have to take the food up 2 hours before testing, but ensure he eats 3 hours before testing at 4AM & 4PM? How many times should I be testing during the day, and at what times? Do I need to get up and test at +3 (10PM), +5 (12MID), or +7 (2AM)? Actually, I didn't get a +5 or +7 last night.

Thanks for your help.

11. Marje and Gracie

If you aren’t giving insulin, there is no need to worry about not feeding before what would normally be his shot time. The only reason we advise against feeding in the two hours before shooting is so you don’t shoot a food spike. You aren’t shooting, though.

Since he is not on insulin, you can choose whatever time you want for his first testing of the day. Then be sure you test 12 hours after that. You would feed three hours before that test. As an example, if you don’t want to be up at 1 to feed and 4 to test, do 4 and 7 or 5 and 8 and try not to feed him again in between any three hours you choose. But if you have no issue with 1 and 4, that’s fine. I’m just trying to give you an option where you don’t have to be twice during the night.

After you do the tests at what you would consider to be AMBG and PMBG, feed and then test three hours later. You then don’t need to test again unless the numbers are yellow or if they are in the 40s. Although, remember, he can’t hypo...he’s not on insulin. Many cats in remission will often drop to 40 and it’s not unsafe but you can give him a little food.

Does that help?

Shiloh567 likes this.
  12. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

It does help. Thank you Marge. How many times do I have to do this type of feeding/testing. Do I have to do it twice per day? I did not do this tonight. I will have to think about when I can time this. I am thinking possibly feeding at 7a, like normal, pick up food, and then test at 10a. I could do the same at 7p and 10p. He would still be free fed 10a after testing and up to 7p.

On the other hand, if I do nothing, but let him feed as normal (LC), and still test him, I will see if he is rising outside of an acceptable range, correct?

13. Marje and Gracie

Every 12 hours for a couple days and if he’s still green, we will start a formal trial.. Be sure you test before you feed at 7 and 10 or whatever your two times are. Yes, you can just see what he’s doing without any kind of specific feeding, however, when we do an OTJ trial, we ask you to test at every regular shot time and if his BG is above 99, feed, and retest in three hours to see if the BG has dropped.

14. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

I did not test before I fed him, so tomorrow is another day. Will try again in the AM.
    So, tomorrow I will test at 7AM, then feed, then pick food up for 3 hours, and test again at 10AM.
    He will free feed through the day, test again at 7PM, feed, then pick food up and retest at 10PM.
    Is this plan ok?

15. Marje and Gracie

Yes.

Could you please update your subject line. It should be:

1/11 Gideon Blue AMBG 70 +19 69

Thank you.

16. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Ok. I just updated the subject line. Is there anything wrong with Gideon's spreadsheet? I added a row to note the change to the human glucometer. Is there a better way to document this?

17. Marje and Gracie

I need to change the formatting for you if I have your ok to do so. I still have editing rights so I can do it tomorrow if you like.

18. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Sure, if you would like to change it, that is fine. Just tested Gideon at 10p=66.
    Thank you!

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  19. Marje and Gracie

Sorry...10pm doesn’t really mean anything to any of us as we are on different time zones ;) But, whenever the test is, I’m glad he’s doing well!
    Have a good evening.