1/12/21 Fortune Lab Work - Request to Review

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RachelG, Jan 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RachelG

RachelG Member

Hi there,

After my first post on Friday, it was suggested that I can update my sheet with Fortune's lab work to get eyes on it. I realized after reviewing that it's not as normal as the vet usually says, but perhaps it is normal for a kitty with SCL and cholangiohepatitis?

The latter is a dx that I wasn't even aware of because we aren't treating it.

@Marje and Gracie do you mind taking a look and letting me know your thoughts?
    @Critter Mom
    @Wendy&Neko
    @Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you so much! Going to the vet tomorrow so going to be asking lots of questions :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Reason for edit: added link
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Rachel where is the link from Friday?
    Can you add it to your post.
    You can also post it on the Lantus Board
    Are you going to stay on the Lantus board from now on :cat:
    @RachelG

RachelG likes this.
  3. RachelG

RachelG Member

Hi Diane,

I just added it, thank you! I have also been posting on the Lantus Board - just different questions. Is it better to keep everything together, and not create different posts for different topics? I can see pros / cons to both, so I posted separately.

Thank you for your guidance!

@Diane Tyler's Mom

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Since you are using Lantus I would stay there, go over there and put in today's title
    for 1-12 I see you already tested Fortune and put the previous link for 1-11 there also.
    You can also add the link that you just did

I would copy what you wrote and tag them again there :cat:
    It's best to stay on the Lantus board
    @RachelG

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m not actually seeing anything in his superchem labs that are concerning other than low potassium and I’d discuss this with my vet. Insulin can cause the uptake of potassium from the blood into the cells. It’s up to your vet to determine if he needs temporary potassium supplementation.

Check the lab report regarding platelets because often the method of drawing blood causes clumping which makes the platelet count low.

Regarding WBCs, there are so many things that can cause abnormalities and since I am not a vet, I don’t even venture down that path. Your vet is the best resource for that.

Diane Tyler's Mom and RachelG like this.
  7. RachelG

RachelG Member

Thank you! He does have small cell lymphoma, so that could be causing a lot of the irregularities. He is getting fresh labs tomorrow, so I will definitely bring it up. Appreciate you reviewing!

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Not only SCL, I think you said he's on chlorambucil as well? Some meds can also impact b/w results.

I can't add anything to what Marje said, but it can help us if you highlight the "out of range" values on the spreadsheet. I turned the text on the high or low values red on Neko's, just made it easier to see the out of range ones.

Diane Tyler's Mom and RachelG like this.
  9. RachelG

RachelG Member

Yes, he is on a whole host of meds. That would make sense that they are affecting his labs, since they certainly are impacting his BG.

Great recco on color coding! Thanks!

10. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

On your lab tab why is AST, ALT and RBC red for 12/26?
    AST 10-100 IU/L 13

ALT 10-100 IU/L 21
    RBC 5.92-9.93 7.04 5.8

Why MCH red for both dates?
    MCH 11-21 pg 17.9 17.9
    The values you listed for the abs(olute) value for neutrophiles and the other three types of white blood cells seems strange since you list fractional values:

Abs Neutrophils 2500-8500 15.633 13.592

Abs Lymphocytes 1200-8000 0.965 1.183

Abs Monocytes 0-600 1.544 0.648

Abs Eosinophils 0-1000 0.965 0.761

Abs Basophils 0-150 0.193 0.016
    For the values greater than 1 should the decimal be a coma?
    For the fractional ones should the leading zero and decimal point be deleted just leaving a value in the hundreds?

High WBCs is usually due to infection.
    I note that creatinine is ups from 11/5. So is phosphorus which tend to indicate kidney degradation. Bun is also up but that is influenced by high protein diet.

RachelG likes this.
  11. RachelG

RachelG Member

Hi Larry!

I attached the lab work itself with the ranges that were used since there seems to be such a discrepancy between the lab that was used, and the Google Sheet template.

I went based off the values from the lab we used, not the sheet, since it seemed to be more sensitive.
    ALT 27-158 and Fortune's value was 21
    RBC 7.12-11.46 and Fortune's value was 7.04

Same as above, I went off the ranges from the lab. I'll try and update to reflect later.
    MCH 12.6-16.5, Fortune's value was 17.9

He does have a dx of cholangiohepatitis, but is not receiving treatment. Could that be what is showing up here?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

RachelG likes this.
  13. Diane Tyler's Mom

@RachelG Saw you took Fortune to the vet this morning, about his ears, were they ear mites?

RachelG likes this.
  14. RachelG

RachelG Member

@Diane Tyler's Mom Thank you for asking! Turns out it's his allergies causing an abundance of wax, not mites (phew!)

The ultrasound was ok, we got some bad news regarding progression of his disease :( Ill give a bigger update I have digested a bit, as I definitely want feedback on how to implement the vet's instructions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.