1/12 Jan and Buddy AMPS in the 300's-read post

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan and Buddy, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Forgot to post before leaving the house and don't remember exact number. So will not post again till PM.
    Could I get some feed back on experienced R user's???

Thinking about using it again!!! nailbite_smile nailbite_smile nailbite_smile

Thanks Jan

2. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Don't worry about the number Jan as long as your somewhere near.

Sorry can't offer any advice on the R-Maybe put that in your message line? Advice R

You may already but always worth getting to know the high dose group beans.

Havea good day :D

3. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

I can't offer any R advice since I've never used it, but I can wish you good luck with the increase tonight!

Good luck with the increase!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Wow. You def need some assistance from R, and you need also a basal increase. I am sending Jill a PM to ask her to confirm this advice so please don't do this until she takes a peek ok? I do not have an IAA cat, he's acro, so I want to make sure I do not advise anything risky.

It's time to be a little aggressive in my most humble opinion. The cycles are high and flat and you've got room.

Lantus (aka the basal insulin)
    I think you need 1/2u Lantus increases rather than 1/4u
    I think that needs to happen every 6 doses until you see his cycles coming down

R:
    You can do this one of two ways. I see your history at .1u and .25u and I swear I saw 2.75u somewhere but I couldn't find it when I went back to confirm LOL Anyway, you need current R data, and the best way to do that is start low and record response. I did not see many instances of the .1u working, and I personally would be thinking .25u.... however where you start is your comfort zone, not mine. The idea of R, and you probably already know this, but I want to say it anyway, is to tap your starting bg down into a lower range where the lantus is better capable of working it. You do not want to crush these numbers, the goal is to gently push your numbers down. If you hit it too hard, you're gonna end up with bg's all over the place. You will experience rebound at first, just stay your course.

Initially you need to set a number that you will shoot R at. In my case, I set it at 250. If I got a number over 250, I used R. This does not mean that should be YOUR number. I was home all the time and had the leisure of testing him any ole time I felt like it :)

So after setting your start number, administer your R and get to testing. We wanna see how it works. We don't want to see a ton of movement, maybe 150pts per cycle. If you see like 250 pts per cycle, you def wanna back off a little bit. As the R starts helping the lantus to work better, his shed will fill and you'll need less R. This is where your basal increases come in. The reason he got to this range is because his IAA overtook his lantus dose. I do not know if IAA works the same as acro ie: acro is a constantly changing hormonal environment and I never know when the insulin is gonna stop or start working. I wonder if IAA is the same way. If so, you may need to be quick on your feet when the basal increases and R start working.. they may work too well and you'll find yourself backpedaling LOL

I hope I did not confuse the crap out of you :lol: let me know if you have any questions ok?

Re: Recent notes in your SS indicate clear bile vomit and being off. Has he been tested for pancreatitis? If he has pancreatitis he will need some assistance with that as well in the form of tummy soothers, pancreatic support supplements, pain meds and maybe fluids. Sounds daunting but it's really not terrible, I promise.

5. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Carolyn,
    Jill already suggested I increase to 6.0, I just didn't see it before going to bed last night.
    As you know I work full-time and until I get more comfortable with R I think I will probably only use it on the weekends.
    No he hasn't been tested for that, but he only got a little sick and I think it was because he hadn't eaten for awhile.
    I got alot of what you said, and some I didn't. I'm sure I'm going to have some questions.

Do you know who specifically uses R, I can't remember other than I think Libby, and she hasn't been around much.
    Thanks
    Jan

PS how do you change the SUBJECT line?? Remember the other board you could go in and take off the AMPS and retype the PMPS but the message would be the same one. I know about the edit button, you can change the message body, and the subject line but it doesn't show the change when you repost it. Am I making sense??

6. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Good, I'm glad to hear I did not give bad advice LOL

Starting on the weekends is a great idea. Who knows, the Lantus increases might preclude you having to use it at all by then :)

Ok just keep an eye on it, it would be great if this were an isolated incident.

ask them whenever you have them.. if you do have them, can you send me a PM telling me you have ??s in your condo so I make sure to look? I'll try to keep an eye on your condo, but the one day you ask will be the day I'm pretending to clean my house or something LOL

I think the only people who are using R are HD cats, mostly acro's but I could be wrong. Not sure if you knew this but Sandy and BK has her IAA cat OTJ. Here is her SS, which I need to study, as I haven't seen it in a long time. http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pj18WeQTVaWmyP-SWuUD1Ew

When you click Edit post, the box the subject is in turns white, you can add/delete info in that box on Edit.

7. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't help. I don't even know waht "R" is!

8. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

glad you'll be increasing the dose tonight! what we need to do is become more aggressive with the lantus dose and use a small amount of R as needed in order to squish those IAAs. neither libby or i have used R which is why we're so grateful carolyn has stopped by. carolyn has used R for quite some time so you can be assured she knows what she is doing. carolyn provided the link to sandy/Black Kitty's spreadsheet. BK had IAAs just like buddy. you can see just how aggressive she was and how well it worked out for BK. Black Kitty is currently OTJ!

9. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

OK guys Thanks, will icrease tonight then plan R at some point over the weekend if needed. I have looked at the spreedsheet, but need to study it a little more.
    Jan

10. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Just stopped in to see how you're doing. I'm glad Carolyn is on the case now, she'll get you on the right track. :mrgreen:

I need to study BK's spreadsheet too, at the time she was going through a lot of changes with BK I was in the middle of Lucy's run down the dosing scale, so I wasn't awake enough to pay attention to what Sandy was doing. I'll definitely be watching in this condo, so I can learn too.

11. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

1/12 Jan and Buddy PMPS 342

Increase to 6.0L

Thanks Libby, its nice to know you will be watching!!! :mrgreen:

12. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

1/12 Jan and Buddy PMPS 342 +1.5 360 +3 348 +9 306

That increase is bringing him down a little. Maybe I won't have to use the R?????

Will see!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.