1/13 Blue AMBG 70

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patty and Blue GA & Brat, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Patty and Blue GA & Brat Well-Known Member

Blue is much more himself this morning. Almost normal, but I'm keeping track of him.
    He's still drinking a lot of water. He is definitely mentally back which is so exciting.
    I thought I had lost him forever. I was a stranger to him.
    I'm drinking my first :coffee: but will try to reach Dr. Johnson this morning.
    Thanks for all the information I can use.

Will the prednisone help him gain some weight? I'm wondering if I should get a
    high calorie food or supplement to help him gain a bit.

Critter Mom and Pookie (GA) like this.
  2. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

After further observation he is not back to normal. He's not in the corner but not right.
    I made an appt. for blood work and recheck.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I hope you get some answers. FWIW when Tiffany started chemo I only was going to the oncologist until things fell apart. She knew about her very early CKD and kept telling me all was good. Then Tiffany had a UTI that was missed because she wasn’t checking. I called my vet in desperation and he asked if a urinalysis was run. That was after a unnecessary spinal tap. Tiffany went into acute kidney failure and had to stop chemo. Then that rotten oncologist refused to treat her with any chemo so we were left just using prednisolone. She had intermediate cell and the prednisolone kept her in remission for6-9 months. That’s when I started requesting all labs from whatever vet I saw and still do.

4. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I'm here in the parking lot. I think I'm having the same experience as you with Blues oncologist

Dr. Johnson just came out. She's going to call Bluepearl to see if he can come tomorrow. She thinks he's much worse and doesn't want him to start the prednisone without the oncologist being on board.

I'm upset. I feel like Bluepearl has let me down.

5. tiffmaxee

Oh Patty. I don’t know what to say. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Dr. Johnson spoke with the oncologist. She will see Blue tomorrow. We are going to put him on prednisone and antibiotics. We are running bloodwork today. I'm not sure what the oncologist has planned. I'm so upset.

7. tiffmaxee

Maybe he has an infection and between prednisolone the antibiotic he will feel better. Which antibiotic?

8. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Patty.:bighug: It's so upsetting...angering, as well....to read what Bluepearl has been putting you and Blue through.
    I hope your vet can work with this oncologist and put some pressure on to help Blue recover from the symptoms you are seeing and to put together an appropriate treatment plan for him.:bighug::bighug:

9. Butters & Lyla

I would put out some yummy higher calorie foods for him even if they have a bit more carbs. How is his appetite? One food that often seems to appeal to sick kitties is a/d food you should be able to get from your vet. It's pretty calorie dense too, but a little higher carb I think.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  10. tiffmaxee

Many like AD. I think it’s maybe mc. Not too bad. The prednisolone often makes cats very hungry but ECID.

11. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

A shot of Convenia. I thought I was getting something by mouth. I was so upset I wasn't even thinking straight.

12. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I'm really worried about him. I hope he will recover.

13. tiffmaxee

I’m sure the reason for Convenia is because your vet was worried he might have diarrhea from an oral antibiotic. Blue hasn’t had that problem with antibiotics in the past though. I don’t know if something like a broad spectrum antibiotic would be better or not. We have to hope that Convenia works.

14. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

His appetite is great. I don't have any a/d and I've already left the vet. I just gave him some dry food. LC of course. He always loved dry food to snack on and hasn't had any since I switched to TR months ago.

If I get back out I might try to go by and get some a/d...I wish I had thought of that.

15. tiffmaxee

As long as he wants to eat AD is not needed. You just want him to get calories so let him eat as much as he wants as often as he wants.

16. tiffmaxee

AD is not that high calorie. There are recovery food that are higher but my cats never liked them.

17. Butters & Lyla

I am hoping too.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    You got him the antibiotic and prednisolone; hopefully that will help him feel better.

18. tiffmaxee

19. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I'm dropping Blue off in the morning. I have my stem cell treatment in my knee at 12 so it will be a busy day.

20. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I'll see what they say tomorrow. I can pick up food later in the day. I just worry about the carbs.

21. tiffmaxee

Yes, you don’t want high carb.

22. tiffmaxee

AD is 13.2% carbs.

23. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Patty,

I've just caught up and my heart goes out to you over what's happening. :bighug:

Perhaps stick with larger/more frequent meals of Blue's favourite, the Meowmix (10%), whenever he wants?

Hoping and praying here too.

((((Patty and Blue))))

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

24. Critter Mom

Patty, are they going to do urine tests as well as the blood work (to cover all bases)?

Mogs

25. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I don't see urinalysis on the paperwork. I'm taking him to Bluepearl in the morning so maybe they will run one.
    Now my little Brat is sick. She isn't eating. When it rains it pours.
    My stem cell is at 12 tomorrow so I hope I can get everycat and myself to the doctor.

26. tiffmaxee

27. Butters & Lyla

You, Blue and Brat are in my thoughts. Sending prayers.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. tiffmaxee

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:You will need to specifically ask Blue Pearl for a urinalysis or I am sure it won’t be done. :banghead:

29. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Do you think he needs to have a urinalysis?

He's back sleeping on the table at the windows. I put a fuzzy bed up there and he's laying on it. He doesn't seem comfortable. He didn't eat much tonight but then he did get antibiotic and prednisone today.

Decided I would give Brat half of Cerenia because she's still not eating. I'm hoping it will calm her stomach.

30. tiffmaxee

Is Blue peeing more or less than usual? The only reasons a urinalysis might be a good idea is because the chemo he’s taking can effect the kidneys or in case he has a uti.
    Cerenia might help Brat. I hope so. :bighug:

31. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Yes, he has been peeing a good bit. Today not so much.

Brat seems more relaxed and not in discomfort like she was. She's sleeping. She hasn't
    eaten anything. I think I'll take her into the vet in the morning after dropping Blue off.
    Teddy needs to go too. It's looks like he injured his eye somehow. It started tearing two
    days ago. I thought it would just get better but now I don't think that's going to happen.

32. tiffmaxee

You have your hands full!:bighug:

33. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Yes I do, but I’m trying to breath and take it one step at a time.

34. tiffmaxee

That’s good. Teddy’s eye might just need an antibiotic. Easy.

35. Critter Mom

Sorry to hear that Brat and Teddy have things up with them too, Patty. It's good that Brat seems to be feeling a bit more comfortable this evening.

I think it would be a good idea to get everything possible checked out, not least of all because Blue has been peeing more than usual.

Hope the stem cell procedure goes OK tomorrow.

Keeping you and your Bluebird very much in my thoughts and prayers.

((((Patty and Blue))))

Mogs

36. Critter Mom

Hi Patty,

Hoping things go as well as possible for all of you today.

Is Brat managing to eat now? How is your Bluebird this morning?

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

((((Patty, Blue and Brat))))

:bighug:

Mogs

37. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I dropped off Blue at 7:30 and have not heard anything. I'm paralyzed with fear.
    My little Brat ate a small amount of food this morning. Maybe a teaspoon if that.
    I know I need to take her in but since I don't know about Blue yet I don't want to call for an appointment. I also have to consider my appointment at 12. I might have to take her in this afternoon.

38. Critter Mom

Worrying about you. Praying.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

((((Patty and Blue))))

Mogs

39. Critter Mom

And (((Brat))).

40. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Thanks Mogs. I haven't heard anything. I"m waiting on calling for Brat until I know when to pick up Blue.
    I'm leaving in 10 to go to my appt. I'm more nervous about Blue than myself.

41. Critter Mom

I know you are, Patty.

((((Patty and her Bluebird))))

Go handy, and keep safe while you're out and about.

:bighug:

Mogs

42. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I heard from Dr. at Bluepearl. She was nice, go figure. Anyway, we are going to try a chemo pill. I'm in the waiting room for my knee so I'll be back later. Thanks for the prayers. :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  43. Critter Mom

Sending some extra-comforting and reassuring :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:.

I'm glad that the doctor was nice. Fingers and paws crossed that the chemo pill will be better. And remember to get copies of all the test results! (Nag, nag, nag, nag... :p ;) )

Prayers continue.

Mogs

44. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Finally back home. Blue was famished but Brat wouldn't eat. Brat has IBD and is on several drugs.
    This seems to be Blue's last hope and I'm trying not to think about it. Praying the chemo and prednislone
    will work for him. He's more alert today.
    I'm taking Teddy in tomorrow.
    In the middle of all this I had stem cells injected into my knee. Hoping it will work. Knee pain is real...

This is day sucked.

45. Critter Mom

Hi Patty,

Been fretting about ye all day. I'm glad to hear Blue's more alert, and I hope he'll do well on the new treatment regimen. ((((Blue))))

I'm also glad to hear Blue's appetite is good today, but sorry that Brat's still not eating properly. Did the vet see her today? Fingers 'n' paws crossed she'll start eating quickly. Which meds is she taking? I hope all goes well for Teddy tomorrow.

Owwwwwww! Just thinking about that is enough to give me the wibbles. I really hope the treatment works, Patty. I wish you weren't in pain. :( Try to rest the leg as much as you can. :bighug:

I will keep you all in my prayers.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

46. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Thank you Mogs. :bighug:

I just tested Blue a little early. His BG is 140 tonight. They fed him at Bluepearl because he was there all day.
    They probably didn't feed him low carb. What should I do?

Brat and Blue both are on an app stimulate. Brat is on prednisone, cerenia and antihistamine.

They are both wiped out tonight. Brat is laying beside me on my jacket. Blue is over by the window but laying
    in a kitchen chair which he has always done.

I hope you and the bug are doing okay. Were you taking her to the vet this week?

47. Critter Mom

He's not far above the upper bound of the normal range (50-120, human meter). Has he been started on the prednisolone? Did he get his new chemo tablet today?

Mogs

48. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Yes he got a chemo tablet today and he got his second prednisone today.

Brat is on Famotidine for GI and acid reflux. Is that antihistamine? Where did I get that from???

49. Butters & Lyla

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    I'm glad to hear Blue is more alert today. That's a good thing. Sending prayers that the chemo + pred works for him. I can commiserate on the knee pain. I had surgery on my knee eight years ago and I've had pain off and on since. Feel like I'm too young for that! lol. Hoping the stem cell treatment works for you!:bighug:

50. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Thank you for the prayers. It was a long hard day. I hope this new chemo works too. I look like a feline pharmacy in my kitchen. I’m thinking I need to make a chart so I don't miss any medicine.

8 years ago and you still have pain? Yikes.
    I had surgery in July on two tears in both meniscus in my right knee. I have never had a knee problem before that and it is not fun. I sympathize with you if you've suffered that long. I'm hoping this works too. Knee replacement is the next step OMG noooooo! I'll keep you posted on this treatment. You could try it if it works. It was pretty easy and only took 20-30 minutes.

51. Critter Mom

Famotidine is an acid blocker, a histamine H2-receptor antagonist, to be precise. From drugs.com:

Famotidine is specific for H2 receptors (other drugs, called antihistamines, block H1 receptors that are primarily involved with allergic-type reactions).

That might be another potential influence on BG levels. I'm going to tag @tiffmaxee to see whether she can give you some info on the steroid side of things. (No experience with them myself.)

Which chemo med is Blue getting now, Patty?

Mogs

52. Critter Mom

Good idea. I'd be lost without mine and I'm only managing one cat. Maybe also put Blue's meds into his spreadsheet remarks? That way, anyone helping you will be able to take into account the meds he's on. (I know. Nagging again. I just can't help myself! :rolleyes: :oops: :D )

Mogs

53. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

LOL, I've got used to it. :)

CCNU 10 mg.

54. Butters & Lyla

It sounds so hard, Patty:bighug:. I'm so glad you get support and help here because you are dealing with so much:bighug:. You're doing an amazing job.

My surgery was for a meniscus tear also, and removal of a growth and general clean up because apparently it was a mess in there. I wonder if I can get that treatment in Canada. I doubt it. I try to take really good care of it though to minimize pain.
    Fwiw, a couple of my relatives have had both of their knees replaced in the past couple of years, and it has taken away all of their pain and they are very active and happy. They said the first two days after surgery were tough but then they improved a lot after. Of course, replacements were a last resort. We want the treatment to work for you:).

55. Critter Mom

You're a patient woman, Patty. :D

Mogs

56. tiffmaxee

Hi Patty. FD they do another ultrasound on Blue? Prednisolone can act like an appetite stimulant so you might not need the other one which I guess is either mirtazapine or the ear gel equivalent? His bg is barely over normal as Mogs said so I would just watch it for now. When do you need to bring him back? :bighug:

57. tiffmaxee

I believe it was steroids that caused Blue to become diabetic so we will have to watch and see if he will need a little insulin support. I thought that might have been why he wasn’t put on it initially. It helps with lymphoma which is the main concern. :bighug:

58. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

No ultrasound. She could tell he hadn’t improved. Yes, it’s mirtazapine. She said 3 weeks if he was improving. :(

59. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

LOL

60. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Thank you. Yes, I don’t know what I’d do with this site and Mogs and Elise have been with us from the start guiding and teaching.

My dr. said knee replacement is a lot of rehab. I was willing to try anything other than more surgery. I would think you could get the treatment there. I asked how long my orthopedic practice had been doing it and they said almost 3 years. The downfall is insurance does not cover the injection. If it works it will be worth it. I’ve missed a year of tennis and gaining weight from sitting around with a bum knee.

Butters & Lyla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.