1/16 Moses AMPS 302 PMPS 287

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Erica & Moses, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Yesterday's Condo:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2756

Ya, Moses was a little stressed out for his PMPS b/c it took 4 pricks to get blood :sad: no fun!

I would definitely like to get more spot checks. You're right, Cassandra & Sasha, my preshots have been earlier so it's best to get an earlier spot check. Unfortunately I missed last night, b/c I posted at my +3 and it was too late.

It was really hard getting Moses' blood to spout today. It was like empty pricks! His ears are looking rather sore, still recovering from that curve. I might try to get additional tomorrow, but I'll first see how his blood is flowing for his AMPS in the morning. The best times are still a +2 and perhaps a +6?

I've been out of the house a lot today, but Moses seems to be more energetic these past couple days. He's eating nicely again, too! Hooray!

Thanks for keeping tabs on us and our story. :mrgreen:

2. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Erica, I am so happy to hear that Moses seems to feel better. Good luck to you both :razz:

3. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Thanks Paige, you're awesome!

Chococat power! bcatrun_gif

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

sunny yellow for Moses, very nice :)

5. Chris and Chloe

Chris and Chloe Member

You're doing great!!! It REALLY does get easier!

I still remember, even though it's a year ago, how stressful it was for me, DH and Chloe for the first few weeks of testing. Things got much better when I realized that the pokes didn't hurt Chloe, they just irritated her sometimes. And, I started thinking of testing time as a special time for just the two of us.. I would shower her with pats and love, test her, and then shower her with more pats and love. Chloe now comes over to her testing spot whenever she hears the microwave (heating up the rick sock!)

Thanks for the good thoughts for Chloe!

6. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

Glad to hear that Moses has more energy! And, yay for the good appy!

I remember how frustrated I was in the beginning too with the pokes.. Most of all I didn't want to hurt Pepper... Or, I would get a drop going and he would shake his head.. lol! And, having black ears sometimes it is hard seeing the blood droplet.. I've heard of some poking on the inside of ear so that it's easier to see the blood on black kitties..

It does get easier.. and so glad that you are here and Moses is doing so well!

7. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

It's good to vary spot checks when you can. Right now you are in data collection mode and any spot checks you get will be helpful. If you have a lower preshot, then a +1 or a +2 will let you know when you need to test again. If the number is dropping at that time, then you will need to test again because it is an action cycle. If the number is higher at +2 than the PS was, then you can hold off a little longer for another spot test. Optimally, getting at least one test per cycle is best - and always the before bed test, especially if you work during the day and cannot test during the AM cycle. Many people test more than that, and as testing becomes easier for you then you can add tests in when you are available to do so.

This is what a typical Lantus curve might looks like:

+0 - PreShot number.
    +1 - Usually higher than PreShot number because of the last shot wearing off. May see a food spike in this number.
    +2 - Often similar to the PreShot number.
    +3 - Lower than the PreShot number, onset has started.
    +4 - Lower.
    +5 - Lower.
    +6 - Nadir/Peak (the lowest number of cycle).
    +7 - Surf (hang around the nadir number).
    +8 - Slight rise.
    +9 - Slight rise.
    +10 - Rising.
    +11 - Rising (may dip around +10 or +11).
    +12 - PreShot number.

Nadir can happen at any point in the cycle, but this is a good guide for what many cats will do. The more data you collect on Moses, the more you will know about how he is responding to a dose and if an increase or decrease is necessary.

Additional information on data collection and spot checks here.

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The only thing I'd add to what Cassandra said about spot checks is that the more checks you have, the better you will know about how Moses responds to insulin and the easier it will be for you to make decisions about dosing.

As an example, when your kitty earns a dose reduction, often you will see a rebound in numbers in the next cycle. So, rather than shoot the reduced dose, you can shoot the old dose to help offset the rebound (and take the reduction in the following cycle). Gabby can drop like a rock from her pre-shot number. Because I have the data to know this, it's best for Gabby that we take the dose reduction for the next shot.

9. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

good luck with getting some spot checks, it will really help. It looks like Moses is going lower at night than during the day, but we don't know how low.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.