1/20 Ruby PMPS 156/+3 186 experience giving Adequan shots?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Katherine&Ruby, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-19-ruby-amps-125-4-162-7-156-10-111-pmps-136.258106/

We have not seen green in the past few days. Ruby-doo needs to poop. :p Please send poopy prayers.

@Suzanne & Darcy the vet prescribed gabapentin and not bupe precisely because bupe is supposed to be constipating, but the one side effect I kept seeing about gaba was diarrhea. :banghead: I guess all painkillers are constipating for Ruby. The Adequan is arriving in a few days and once I start that I will stop the gaba. Oy vey. :rolleyes:

Hope everyone had a nice day. :bighug:

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I am sorry. I really just recently read about Gabapentin possibly causing constipation. So I thought I would share. Maybe it’s the kind of situation situation where it is less constipating than Buprenorphine, but also contributes to constipation. So Ruby already has a problem with constipation, and now we add Gabapentin…. I guess we see what happens.

I sure do want to see that beautiful Ruby Of yours do well and be healthy and happy! I look into those beautiful eyes of hers (in your photos) and I just love her.

Jill & Jade and Katherine&Ruby like this.
  3. Katherine&Ruby

Anyone have experience giving Adequan injections? I know the best way to do it is intramuscularly, but I’m a little worried about hurting Ruby and having her hate the shots. She’s obviously more used to a subcutaneous shot. Advice?

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  5. Katherine&Ruby

Thanks so much, Bhooma. Ruby’s vet said intramuscular, so I assumed she was right. :banghead: I will do it subQ!

Also I believe she said to give .3 mls. I have seen recommendations to give FIVE mls per kilo per cat like in the last site you linked. Why the enormous variation?

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I know lots of people give adequan sub-q and it works.

7. Suzanne & Darcy

I read this… looks like the sub-q route just requires a larger dose and that it can be done either IM or SQ.
    • 2mg per kilo intramuscular every 3-5 days for four treatments
    • 5mg per kilo subcutaneous twice a week for 4 weeks and then once a week for 4 weeks, and then once a month [1]

8. Katherine&Ruby

Yes, I read that too! That seems like a LOT. I read this and it’s an old thread but caregivers were giving much smaller doses than that: https://thecatsite.com/threads/question-about-adequan-dosage.244819/

Jill & Jade and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  9. Suzanne & Darcy

I don’t like to read “wide margin of safety” but with excessive doses having potential for kidney and liver damage! What’s excessive? I’m sure your vet knows.

10. Katherine&Ruby

I’m with you! Also, a 5 ml vial is $74. If I had to do that twice a week for 4 weeks, it would be too expensive for me to manage. Supposedly the effect of a single shot is pretty close to instantaneous so we will know soon enough if it’s the right dose.

11. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

I was giving Cartrophen at a dose of 3mg/kg

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Katherine, I hope the adequan helps Ruby, :bighug::bighug::cat:

Jill & Jade and Katherine&Ruby like this.
  13. Jessica A

Jessica A Member

We give Callie Adequan shots subq and it seems to be working well for her. Our vet said it could be done either way but that he generally recommends subq for people doing it themselves at home (thank goodness because I was definitely not looking forward to trying intramuscular shots!) Callie gets .25 ml per shot. Not sure how to compare ml and mg.

We bought two 5ml vials of Adequan in mid-October and we still have about a vial left even though we've continued giving Callie once-a-week shots rather than decreasing to once every two weeks/once a month after the loading dose. We plan to decrease soon but when we decreased from weekly shots originally she seemed stiff again so we went back to weekly for a bit.

Our vet said we would know definitively by the end of the 4-week loading dose period if it was working. It did take a few shots before we saw significant enough improvement in Callie to say it was working but I'm sure that some know earlier and others later. ECID, as with everything... ;)

Hope it helps Ruby!

Katherine&Ruby and Bandit's Mom like this.
  14. Katherine&Ruby

D’oh! I was confusing mgs and mls! That makes a lot more sense then if there are 100mgs/ml, then Ruby would only be getting 30mgs in .3 mls. :rolleyes: Phew, I feel better, thank you for helping me clear that up, Jessica!

15. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

I have been giving Radar Adequan injections for a couple of years now. The first doses had an immediate impact on his mobility and he bounced and ran like a kitten. There were times when his mobility was really impaired and the vet would tell us to give him several weekly shots in a row and then go back to skipping every other week. Those intensive therapies were very helpful for Radar. It's an expensive medication but in my mind the benefit greatly outweighs the cost.

16. Suzanne & Darcy

I recall that I asked my vet about Adequan. This was several years ago so I don't know if they still do it the same way. She talked about doing a "loading dose" at first, as I recall. Then we were going to take over. It may just have been that she would start him (Maverick) on IM shot and then later we could do at home.