? 1/21 Leo - AMPS 559 - how do you keep ears healthy from pricking, and is "expired" Lantus good?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Javier and Leo, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Javier and Leo

Javier and Leo Member

We continue to increase the dose for Leo, he's still not stabilized. We measured during the night cycle yesterday after a long time and he was at 188. For 1/21 AMPS he was back to high again at 500+. Could you help us look at the numbers and see if the dose and trend are making sense?

We also have a couple of questions:

- For how long is Lantus good after the "expiry" date? Does it lose potency?
    - How do you recommend we prick Leo to keep his ears healthy? We try to alternate ears and use vaseline before pricking.
    - How do you recommend we go about testing ketones when there are two kitties in the house? We have a portable litter box which we fill with hydrophobic litter. It gets really messy with the pee and it's hard to maintain. Sometimes we don't know if the other cat was the one that was doing the peeing. They share a Litter Robot.

Thank you!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I can answer your Lantus question. As long as it’s kept in the fridge and ic clear without floaties in it most get 5-7 months from a vial. I ended up throwing out at least half of the two vials I had after 5-6 months. I used my pens to the last drop. Is that what you want to know or is it past the date on the vial box?

Sue and Luci likes this.
  3. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

I can chime in with one option - I just ordered a blood ketone meter - strips are expensive but you don't use them as much as glucose ones - I just ordered mine from adwdiabetes - this is the one I got https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/20784/free-nova-max-glucose-ketone-meter

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

There are some Testing and Shooting Tips, including ways to help the ear afterwards.

As for dosing, if you want to follow Tight Regulation (as stated in the spreadsheet), you'll need to get a second test each and every night. Even one at +2 or +3 or whenever you go to bed will help. Many cats go lower at night and we dose based on how low the dose is taking the cat. In fact, even for people following SLGS, the before bed test is a good one to get. Could you confirm which dosing method you want to follow by putting either SLGS or TR in your signature.

You also hold doses a minimum of 6 cycles, you only held the 1.25 unit dose 4 cycles. The 1.5 dose has been held to long if following TR.

I had two kitties when Neko was around. I could almost set a clock by when she went to pee, so I'd follow her into the litter box room. I also had 3 litter boxes. The general guidelines is the number of LB's should be #kitties +1. Sometimes they'll pick a favourite which also helps. Or if you know kitty goes to pee after dinner, put them in a separate room with a litter box filled with something like aquarium gravel or washed lentils (don't absorb liquid) until they've done their business.

5. Scdal

Scdal Member

I prick my cat's ears and do not use Vaseline or anything. I wear one of these headlights that strap to your forehead and can see even the tiniest drop of blood even on dark fur. After, I wet a paper towel with hydrogen peroxide. That is that liquid that bubbles up and is fascinating to watch. It rarely stings and it feels just like water to my cat. After a while, it will bleach his ears a little but that is a small price to pay. I have had to prick his ears over 20 times a day when his BG drops low. I have never had his ears get inflamed or sore at all. This is all I use. I don't use any gunky antibiotic ointments or anything else on his ears. I wouldn't like having Vaseline or ointment on my ears, either.

I use an open litter pan for my cat but I don't use cat litter. I just use the lavender fragrant dog pee pads in it. It is easy to get a sample of pee to test by either holding the strip under his stream when peeing. Also, some of the pee will go on the plastic pan and not on the pad. I can dip the test strip in that. I love pee pads. I change them a couple of times a day. No messy cat litter, no smell and I can easily monitor the color of his urine or poop for changes.

6. Javier and Leo

Javier and Leo Member

@tiffmaxee: that's what I needed to hear, for how long I can use the vial after the supposed "30 days to use" timeframe that's on the paper attached to the box from the pharmacy.

Thank you for all the other tips. I will make more posts later this month about dosing, still trying to get a hold of all of this...

7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I've never thrown away Lantus or Levimer (vials or pens)...

The 30 day recommendation is for humans who leave it out on the counter or carry it in a pocket or purse for use while they're out and about. It can last for a year or more (my own personal experience) as long as it's kept refrigerated (not in the door)...

Throw the box and that paper away since you're using this for kitty, not humans...those 'rules' only apply to us 2-legged creatures :)

8. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Hi Javier - I don't have tips but wanted to show my solidarity for having a kitty who is loving the black/red/magenta spectrum. Minnie just increased to 4u Levemir this morning, after switching from 4u Lantus. I'm now stalking everyone with spreadsheets in the same color palette just to counteract my yellow envy :eek:;)

Hercule's mum likes this.