1/23 Latte AMPS-360, PMPS-372, +2-481, +5.5~348

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by carolynandlatte, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Increased to 1.75. Had very little hope that it was going to make much of a difference today because she was starting so high. There's that Murphy's law again. :roll: This may be a record drop for her, and probably is not going to be too helpful come p.m. when she bounces into the pred cycle (thats me testing murphys law :lol: ). But then again, she will probably give me some crazy scary low pmps that will make me question the increase (did I cover it all Murphy? ;-) Se where Im going with this?!?!)

She has eaten about 3/4 can wellness and is on her throne after first...I mean, second round of meds. Will do a +3 and final round of a.m. meds soon. At least she we got the potassium citrate out of the way. I swear she must think Im trying to kill her with that stuff!

Thank you again to those who took the time yesterday to review her ss and help me understand that not every cat fits into protocol. Thank you for the ideas of how I may be able to do things to meet her needs better. I just hope my judgement is sound and I can make good choices.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3561
    yesterday

2. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 1/23 Latte AMPS-360, +2- 113

You are doing a great job Carolyn....I admire all the thought and love that you put into your
    every day with Latte....you are always open to everything and that is a beautiful thing!
    ((Carolyn)) Hope you both have a good Saturday! :YMHUG:

3. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/23 Latte AMPS-360, +2-113, +3-85

I think the sizeable drop, combined with the green, and the fact that she is starting to scarf down a second can of food is making me a little on edge.

Hopefully she will stop and just surf.

Any eyes on us today - until things settle- would be greatly appreciated.

Would folks recommend testing hourly until I see it steady or more frequently?

4. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

i'd test at least hourly until her drop slows further. she dropped an average of 34% per hr in the first two hrs, and 25% in the third hr, so it looks like the momentum is slowing (*), but is still a pretty rapid pace. jmho.

* unless there's squids in the picture, or anything else that could make the drop pick up again.

try to surf around this level, princess latte.

5. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Re: 1/23 Latte AMPS-360, +2- 113

Carolyn. What a great momma bean you are!! Looks like Latte is liking that dose!! :smile: I admire you for your dedication to your furbaby.
    Sometimes we need to go through trying times, to come to the place where the sun is shining again..
    Certainly all of us here understand this...One day I will find Moonie's "right dose". I hope I live long enough :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Just as long as her numbers are well below renal threshold and she feels well, and she's happy & green as much as possible, I am happy.

You are doing such a great job with Latte, she is such a lucky girl..Hop your day gets better & Better!--HUGS~!

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You've got eyes (and lots of experience on the Board this morning with beans visiting) on your condo and beans at your back. Latte is eating which is, for her, always good. If you really don't want her too low, you can give a tiny bit of MC to slow things further. It's your call. And, of course, test as you need to -- either the next 30 min or definitely at +4.

7. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/23 Latte AMPS-360, +2-113, +3-85, +4.5-98

I did a +3.5 - 90, because she was acting crazy! even tried reaching up to get her face into my bfast...VERy unusual! :eek:

She has eaten maybe another 1/4- 1/3 can (3oz wellness) between +3 and +4. I will get back to her at +6.

Nothing can really surprise me today - she could go any which way, at any given moment.
    Does that cover it, Murphy?

Btw...wcf - thanks for calculating the drop! :mrgreen:

Think its time for a cat nap myself!

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Good to see the bump in numbers and a hungry Latte!

9. Celia & Marco

Celia & Marco Member

Latte you are taking mommabean on a ride today! Slow down princess :)

10. Amy'sWinston (GA)

Amy'sWinston (GA) Member

:lol: :lol: It's nice to see you and Murphy getting along so well now!

Glad she bottomed out a bit, and now hoping for a lovely surf and no spikes.

I'm around all day if you need me, me and the furballz is just cleaning and chillin'.

You're such a good girl Latte! You'z lucky to have such a great bean.

11. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/23 Latte AMPS-360, +2-113, +3-85, +4.5-98, +6-56

For those of you that know and understand our situation, now what?

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Re: 1/23 Latte AMPS-360, +2-113, +3-85, +4.5-98, +6-56

In general, I think you are at Latte's nadir. You can always see if she'll eat some MC if you want to be certain she won't drop any lower. My concern with feeding something other than LC is that she will be bouncing due to where she started from today and I'm not sure you'd want to speed the bounce up.

13. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/23 Latte AMPS-360, +2-113, +3-85, +4.5-98, +6-56, +6.5-42

she's in nap mode...
    would babyfood be enough if she will eat it?
    remember she cant have high carb stuff...it needs to be karo mixed in...likely syringe fed if she wont eat.

14. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow! What a difference from last night ...

These kitties are enough to drive us crazy :lol:

15. Amy'sWinston (GA)

Amy'sWinston (GA) Member

Did she eat any of the babyfood? with or without karo?

Have a new number?

Breathe!

16. carolynandlatte

fed a few tsp of babyfood with 2 sm drops of karo in mix, tested 15 min later - just a few min shy of +7, so thats what we will call it....47.
    Had to divert her from kibble bowl when I came at her with meter. Removed kibble. This is the worst time for her to eat it.
    Fed a few more tsp of babyfood with a bigger drop and a small drop of karo.
    Will retest in 15min.

17. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/23 Latte AMPS-360, +2-113, +4.5-98, +6-56, +6.5-42

+6.5- 42
    babyfood with karo
    +7- 46
    babyfood with karo (see post above)
    +7.25- 57

this is the first time we have gone this low...

my only question/confirmation I need right now (sure there will be more later)...
    no more food, right?
    ok to just test at +8 (30 min from now) or test sooner in case this is just a spike from food?
    No food if going up...more food if going down, yes?

18. Amy'sWinston (GA)

Amy'sWinston (GA) Member

You'd likely be ok to test in 30. If she's acting like she really wants the food, I'd give her a bit of the babyfood without the karo. If she seriously wants it, I wouldn't with hold it. But if she's not showing an interest in it, I wouldn't push it on her at this point.

Retest at +8 and post your number.

19. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Surf, Latte, surf!! Looks like you've got a handle on when to let her eat and how much.

20. carolynandlatte

+8- 76
    Im assuming that is more than a spike from the karo and she is on her way up...up...up.., or maybe she will just sit here until pmps (murphy's law *cough cough cough*)
    Probably wait for a +10 and give her sore ears a break?!
    At least she is getting out of the manicure I had scheduled for her today! :lol:

She would TOTALLy eat more bf if I brought it to her on her golden spoon. But she is not up looking for food. She is wide awake sitting on her throne like royalty.

Amy- THANK YOU!!!!!! Thank you for the guidance here and support on the phone.

21. Amy'sWinston (GA)

Amy'sWinston (GA) Member

Yep...this is good! Give my sweet Priincess a smooch on her head for me!!

22. carolynandlatte

+9- 155

Im hoping to get some feedback on dose for tonight...
    should I do her normal fat 1.5, or try to put more fat into it like I did last night?
    Or, would it even be recommended to do the 1.75 one more time if she is really high at pmps?

I will get a +11 to help give me a better idea of where we are headed.

Thanks!

Fun reading everyone's stories today!

ETA: PM is a pred cycle just an FYI + bounce...dont need to see her hanging in too much green, but really want to avoid the reds at least.

23. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Re: 1/23 Latte AMPS-360, +2-113, +6.5-42, +9-155 Tonights dose?

Whether you shoot your current dose or a reduced dose (yay for Latte earning that reduction!! Of course it happens when I run out to do an errand!) is up to you. If you expect a big bounce plus the pred, shooting the old dose is fine. However, I think you may have overfilled the shed with the fatter 1.5 yesterday PM followed by the 1.75 this AM. I'm wondering if it was too much too quick. I'm thinking that going back to the fat 1.5 makes sense but I'd want you to have the benefit of more experienced people providing you with their input.

24. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/23 Latte AMPS-360, +2-113, +6.5-42, +9-155 Tonights dose?

When you say shooting the old dose is fine if a big bounce is expected, do you mean the fat 1.5 that she has been on for a month or so now? Do you mean the fatter 1.5 from last night?

Ya, I didnt hear anyone object to raising it to 1.75 today despite the possible fatter 1.5 last night. And if no one really knew, thus no answer...then we might know the answer to that question now!

What are the chances anyone will be around in the next hour and a half who may be able to give more input? I only ask because otherwise I need to really start making a plan on my own. I sure hope I didnt mess her up more.

25. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/23 Latte AMPS-360,+11-264 HELP for 2nights shot

I'm really sorry for possibly being a pest and bumping this up.
    I try very hard to make my own decisions, or at least have a plan because our timing often stinks when we need help. But Im very uncertain about tonight's dose.

recap-
    increased last night from a fat to a fatter 1.5
    this a.m. increased to full 1.75 - didnt hear any no's in my condo yesterday about doing this.
    today's high 360 @ amps, todays low 42@ +6.5
    tonight - pred + bounce will surely bring her into the 400-500 range.

1. Shoot regular old fat 1.5 and hope for the best, but expect to see terribly high numbers until bounce breaks....then we are back to square 1

2. Shoot fatter 1.5 - I have no idea if this will be anymore helpful than the fat 1.5

3. Shoot 1.75 one last time...may help keep numbers in the 200-300 range (*fingers crossed*), but what happens if bounce breaks right before a.m.?!?!??!

4. any other options?

Then I need to figure out what to shoot tomorrow a.m.? Should the new dose be fat 1.5 or fatter 1.5?

Please anyone? I really feel uncertain about what I need to do.

26. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

Hi Carolyn..
    What a day! Pinks to greens... nothing like keeping her mamabean on her toes..
    She is such a good kitty, and these numbers reflect that she must be feeling very well ~

Looks like the drop on to 1.75 units worked very well.
    I agree with Sienne that shooting the same dose this evening due to rebound and the prednisone might be a good idea..
    However, you have to feel comfortable and if that means her possibly breaking rebound in the wee hours of the AM then maybe giving her the dose reduction (1.5f) this evening might suffice and help everyone sleep easier.. :mrgreen:

lol.. I don't think I helped much..

Good luck with the decision!

27. carolynandlatte

okay, I seriously feel like a true pain in the butt by bumping this again.
    But, this is my cat....she means the world to me and I want to do the best I can for her.

30 minutes before shooting....something.

28. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I am not qualified to give dose advice. Will she eat tonight? Are you able to stay up and test if she does go low? What is your goal for her? You know I am over conservative. You can't take the insulin back out of the cat. You did see today that you can manage a low number. I would aim for middle ground (fatter 1.5), personally, if I were able to test frequently, and had confidence that she would eat. Again, I'm not an expert. Do what makes you comfortable.

29. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

about all I know to say is that 1.75 looks like too much (though you can shoot it tonight one more time if rebound is bad, if you want). I would reduce to one of the 1.5 doses, since you had a bit of a time bringing her number back up you might want to go with the smaller of the two (the f1.5).

30. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

How are you doing in here, Carolyn? Latte kept you busy today.

31. carolynandlatte

Libby-
    Thanks for stopping in with suggestions. I was prepping her meds and didnt get it until afterwards. I shot her usual fat 1.5 that she has been on forever. I guess thats where she will stay with a little tweaking of a drop here and there, depending on all her other influences.

Linda - THANK YOU! Im not worried about her going low tonight...more worried about going even higher because of the pred cycle. it seems the higher her preshots are, the more the pred raises it during the cycle. Lower preshots seem to = less influence from the pred.

Other than feeling like I just made my cat feel worse than she already does, I am fine. She is unfortunately the one suffering from my decision to raise the dose today. She made it very clear when she - for the first time in her life - took a nice poop outside her litter box (thankfully on the pee pad) rather than inside. That about sums it up! :roll:

32. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Re: 1/23 Latte AMPS-360, PMPS-372

I like your decision on the dose.

33. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

(((Carolyn))) We wish treating our furbabies could be a perfect science, but it isn't. You can only make your best effort and learn. Sorry she left you a prezzie in the wrong place - :oops: -- but she is so lucky to have you, and I'll bet she knows it!

34. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hey Stranger! Sorry Ms. Latte wants to be like Wheezer. You need to keep those two from talking.

35. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((carolyn)))
    you're doing a great job balancing everything.
    ps - i like the dose, too. :D

36. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/23 Latte AMPS-360, PMPS-372, +2-481

Is there a point where I need to start worrying about ketones. or is she okay if she is not staying at these numbers for days at a time?

Not super interested in food. Only got about 1/2 jar bf in her so far.

She looks like last night with the high numbers...kinda stoned.

btw...latte's phone priveledges are revoked again! I dont want her to be a bad influence. Hopefully phone will be turned back on tomorrow! ;-)

37. Amy'sWinston (GA)

Amy'sWinston (GA) Member

Re: 1/23 Latte AMPS-360, PMPS-372, +2-481 (ketone ?)

If you're worried, get a keytone test when the opportunity arrises.

But I don't think you need to worry about that yet. She was green most of today, and has a good amount of food on board the last couple of days.

I'd start to worry if she'd been in the 400's a couple of days and inappitant.

She had a 42 today. You expected the bounce. It just bites.....hard. Hopefully she'll stick true to form, and recover the bounce quickly.

You guys had a hell of a day.... :dizcat

38. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

carolyn, it's hard to tell. i think you just saw the high before the break today and of course we can't anticipate that. i think the regular fat 1.5 you chose was good.
    agree re how pred raises high preshots even higher. i've been seeing that too.

you're doing a great job with latte.
    on dropping dose, it depends on how latte holds reductions. cleo's at the point where she has to earn her reductions so it won't happen til she drops below 40 or if she stays at 40 too long (the latter hasn't happened).

39. carolynandlatte

A little too early for the pred to be clearing, and she would not drop such a large amount from it. So, she must be losing some of that bounce. I think it started an hr ago. She was acting stranger than usual and actually ran (well, walked) into the wall once and then the radiator. She seemed oddly confused and disoriented. She has been fine since. I think she has had enough of these jumps and drops.

I hope she gives me a reasonable amps tomorrow.

;ust missed a proper ketone test by .0034 seconds. Tried pressing it in the pee pad and the color came back as negative. Not sure how accurate that process was.

She has taken apon herself to eat a little kibble, after making a good attempt at some wet first. She was almost 24hrs kibble free at that point.

time for sleep. hope everyone has a good night

40. deb and the boys

deb and the boys Member

You guys are on my mind and in my heart tonight.... cell is on, as always...
    deb, angel evie and the boys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.