1/24/10 - Bashful - PMPS 346 - +4/83; +4.5/109

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Theresa&Bashful, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theresa&Bashful

Theresa&Bashful Member

Hi guys,

I've been testing, but haven't been feeling well and so haven't been on the computer as much and didn't post last night's this morning's numbers til now.

Bash's numbers didn't really drop today after 3 hours and he didn't seem very perky last night or this morning, so I decided to err on the side of caution and go get a urinalysis done, since we didn't do that last weekend. So they kept him most of the day to get it (he just HAD to go before we left..lol).

They said they couldn't say for sure that he had a UTI because his sample was too diluted (all the water he's been drinking), but that it WAS cloudy, so they decided to err on the cautious side and gave him a shot of Ampicillin 125 mg/ml. They also gave me two weeks worth of Clavamox 125 mg twice a day. I had them take closer look at his teeth/gums and they said he DID have moderate gingivitis/tartar and we are going to do a dental after the two weeks of Clavamox are complete. He said he didn't have a totally "icky" mouth, so he wanted to let the antibiotic do its thing before doing the dental.

He seems much perkier tonight and his PMPS was better than it was the last two days.

I also finally got the copy of his chem panel and will scan and try to post tomorrow.

Oh yeah, and he tested negative for ketones at the vet too, so that eased my mind a little.

My question is - how does the Clavamox affect the insulin? If he does have a moderate infection going - either UTI or dental (or both), is this going to lower his BG's as it kicks in?

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Best,
    Theresa & Bashful

Yesterday's condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3725

2. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/24/10 - Bashful - PMPS 346 - Vet visit today

The antibiotic doesn't affect BG to my knowledge, but the infection probably would. So if infection was causing his BG's to be higher, then when the antibiotic knocks out the infection the BG would go back down.

3. Theresa&Bashful

Theresa&Bashful Member

Re: 1/24/10 - Bashful - PMPS 346 - Vet visit today

Thank you Libby! I'll keep an eye on it. I'm home the next two nights so I'll be able to test frequently in the evening (poor Bash). : )

4. Theresa&Bashful

Theresa&Bashful Member

Re: 1/24/10 - Bashful - PMPS 346 - +3 112 - ack!

Okay - not that 112 is a bad number, but having it at +3 concerns me that he'll drop even lower and we might have a hypo incident. And that's such a huge drop in 3 hours it seems. I just gave him something to eat and will check again. Any thoughts? Or should I just watch closely?

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would keep doing what you're doing. It is a big drop. Hopefully it will slow down a bit. A little bit of food will help slow the drop. Also, many of our kitties have low numbers. I've not seen a symptomatic hypo here. We use food to steer the numbers. There are people around who will help you if you aren't sure what to do. Remember, lower #s earn dose reductions!

Also, so you don't stop my heart again, I think you have your PMPS #s in the dose column of your SS. (If you shot that, you would have a hypo!)

6. Theresa&Bashful

Theresa&Bashful Member

Holy crud! Sorry, I didn't realize I did that...I just fixed it. Ooops! I'm feeling crummy from an onset of a cold that started last night...I'm not all here apparently! :)

7. joyce-tuscany(GA)

joyce-tuscany(GA) Well-Known Member

Looks like Bashful's dosecrease from the otherday may be kicking in. What are you feeding him? I'm sure even though he's just returned from the falls - you do have HC in the house should you need it later tonight? What time are you rechecking??

8. Theresa&Bashful

Theresa&Bashful Member

+4 - 83

I'm feeding him the regular FF low carb. I don't have any of the high carb wet (altho you can bet I'll be getting it tomorrow). I do have Karo, some regular dry and some Temptations Treats.

Do you think I should give some Temptation Treats or just recheck in 30 mins and if it's still dropping give to him then? He's been eating off and on the last hour.

Retesting in 30 mins intervals, unless he drops below 60, in which case every 15 mins.

9. joyce-tuscany(GA)

joyce-tuscany(GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 1/24/10 - Bashful - PMPS 346 - +4 - 83 - ack!

Average nadir for lantus is around 6 hours - some of your numbers look like bashful even goes a little longer. So he might still drop for another 2-3 hours. I would check again in 30-60 minutes. Tempatations don't help in the immediate situation - they take too long to kick in. (though having said that I did just give Tuscany 2 just to kick in a little later....). You can always mix a little karo syrup in with the lc if bashful is still going lower - so far your numbers are not too bad - as long as they start to slow.
    There is a stickie that has suggestions for the hypo kit. I would take a look at it so you can make yourself up one. It is too bad you don't have any HC cause a little gravy goes a long way in helping bring up the sugars. Don't let Bashful gorge on too much LC - cuz if he does go too low later - he may not want to eat (hence, you'll hear us talk about using the gravy from the HC not the food - more carbs in the gravy and also they don't fill up in case you need to keep using)

10. Theresa&Bashful

Theresa&Bashful Member

Re: 1/24/10 - Bashful - PMPS 346 - +4 - 83 - ack!

PMPS - 346
    +3 - 112
    +4 - 83 (fed can of FF LC)
    +4.5 - 109
    +5 = 130

So starting to come back up - phew!- is okay for me to take my sore throat to bed now? Or do I need to set the alarm for +6 or +7 (which is 12:45 a.m. and 1:45 a.m.)?

By the way, since this is a new insulin to me, and you guys shoot at much lower numbers than I am used to back in PZI day.....Sooooo...since he had such a huge drop this time, do I need to shoot a slightly decreased amount in the a.m. Reminder that I commute an hour to work and unable to come home to spot check. Just wanting to play as safely as I can.

Getting used to shooting in the greens is going to be a nerve wracking process for me, I think,..Bash was really sensitive to the PZI and used to drop down to 40 and below and give his Momma Bean heart palpatations.

On that note, the 'Vet I saw today seemed singularly impressed at how much I know and was willing to do. Nice to see a vet that encourages the home testing, and not the ones who look at you like you're insane. : ) I told him all about you nice peeps, of course! : )))

I wanted to express my heart felt thanks to everyone....for being here and supporting so many people in taking care of our suger babies!!

Blessed sleep to you all!
    Theresa & Bashful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.