1/24 Blackie AMPS-347,+4-367,+6-302,PMPS-430,+5-369

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Team Blackie (GA), Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Team Blackie (GA)

Team Blackie (GA) Member

1/23 Condo

I'm starting to think the insulin is losing its potency even though the liquid is still clear with no cloudiness or anything like that. I have about a 1/4 vial of Lantus left.

2. Celia & Marco

Celia & Marco Member

Re: 1/24 Blackie AMPS-347

How old is this vial? We don't use them until they are all gone. Standard is about 28 days, once opened that is the estimated amount of time that it will keep it's potency. :) I'd go ahead and start a new vial (or ask for an rx for the cartridges instead - cheaper in the long run - less wasted insulin) if its been longer than the 28 days.

Hope Blackie comes down soon!

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/24 Blackie AMPS-347

I didn't see anything on your SS about having started new insulin. If this is the case and you've been using the same insulin as when you started, it's been about 10 weeks. This is a very long time for Lantus to retain its potency. There is some debate as to how long Lantus is good for once you open a vial or cartridge. The manufacturer recommends new insulin every 28 days. Some people are able to use their insulin longer; others will discard after 28 days or so. Blackie seems to be making uneven progress. When this has happened with Gabby, it's generally an indication that my Lantus is toast.

Celia is right. In the long run, the cartridges are cheaper (5 cartridges each with 3 ml) than the vial (10 ml) since there will be less waste.

4. Team Blackie (GA)

Team Blackie (GA) Member

Re: 1/24 Blackie AMPS-347,+4-367,+6-302

I'm still using the vial that was given to me by my vet when he was diagnosed.

28 days, thats it? I don't know if the vet would write me a prescription for the cartridges. Whats the price range? I have no income so I have buy everything on credit.

I guess I should ask, once I start using a new vial/cartridge of Lantus do I keep using the current dose (whatever it may be at the time) or do I go down a little bit for precautionary reasons?

5. Celia & Marco

Celia & Marco Member

Approx. 28 days. I had used one of mine for 6 weeks but we were still getting "good" numbers. Out of fear of losing ground I soon after started opening a new one every 28ish days.

I'm pretty confident your insulin pooped out a long time ago :cry:

Perhaps Libby or one of the other experts will drop by and can answer this one. If it were me I'd keep same dose and make sure I have all my "tools" with me just in case it's too much with the new vial/cart. Kinda let the numbers tell you what to do. I was going to offer to mail you one of the carts we have here, but I see you live in Canada (it may stay in transition too long and get too warm?). Do you know anyone near here on FDMB that perhaps could sell/give you a cart or two.

Your vet shouldn't have a problem prescribing you for either the carts or pens - especially if you let him/her know that you'd be wasting less money and less insulin that way.

6. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

While I don't agree that lantus only keeps for 28 days past opening, I do think that it is time for you to get new insulin. Blackie hasn't had any green in a few weeks, and your dose is getting higher. Someone here can tell you what to ask your vet to write on the prescription for cartridges. They are a bit more expensive at first, but they will last longer b/c you are only "opening" 3 mls of lantus at a time instead of all 10ml.

I used the same vial from dx til OTJ, but that's not the usual. This quirkiness is prolly the worst thing about lantus.

7. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

if you use a magnifying glass and hold the vial up to the light, can you see any floaties? Just curious. Most of us do discard our insulin much sooner than 10 weeks - probably you can get more than 28 days, but I don't know how much more. The nice thing about a higher dose cat (see, there is a nice thing!) is that if you get the cartridges, you'll always be using up a whole cartridge before 28 days anyway, so you'll never be wasting insulin.

You can read the Lantus Handling sticky for more information. If you post on Supply Closet, somebody might be willing to split a box of cartridges with you to save money, or to sell you just one or two cartridges. A few people have been able to buy just one cartridge at a time at their pharmacy, but I don't really think they are supposed to sell them that way.

8. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Ken,

How frustrating for you! Yet at the same time, it may help explain your difficulties getting Blackie regulated. Live and learn.... at least you know this'll never happen again.

I agree with the others that it's better in the long run to go with smaller vials than the 10 ml one. I prefer the 3ml vials to the Solostar pens, plus they are a lot cheaper. I have found it easier for some reason to draw doses from the vial than from the pen, so glad it works out that the vials are cheaper. If you get your vet to write a prescription, I'd suggest doing it for the 3ml vials. Take a look at this site: http://www.canadadrugsonline.com/DrugMoreInfo5636.aspx It's $119 for 5 3 ml vials. Depending on the dose size, that could last amount 5 months. If you look online / do a little shopping, you probably can find Lantus cheaper than at your local drug store. At least that's the case in the U.S. - I'm not sure about Canada. Perhaps some of our Canadian feline caretakers can weigh in there.

It's definitely a good idea to visit the Supply Closet board too, both to see if anyone has some Lantus to spare and also for recommendations on where to buy it most cheaply.

Good luck! Definitely let everyone know when you start Blackie off on the new vial. I think personally I'd be a little nervous to start on a full dose, unless I could be home for much of the day to monitor. Will be curious to see what the consensus view is on that.

Laura

ETA: When I wrote "vial," I probably meant the same thing as when others wrote "cartridge." For people, the cartridges load into a pen for injections. But the way we use them, it just looks like a skinny version of the 10 ml vial.

9. Team Blackie (GA)

Team Blackie (GA) Member

Re: 1/24 Blackie AMPS-347,+4-367,+6-302,PMPS-430

Great, thanks for the advice guys. As far as I'm concerned, I don't see any floaties but I should invest in a magnifying glass. I think I know why our insulin has weaken.

For a while we used to take it out of the fridge about an hour before the shot so it wouldn't be cold for him. I also dropped it a few times on the table. Then I read the Lantus handling sticky more often and now these days I take it out right before his shot and hold it in my hand for a few minutes.

I'll drop by my vet tomorrow after school and try to get a prescription for the 3ml cartridges.

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/24 Blackie AMPS-347,+4-367,+6-302,PMPS-430

Are you sure you need a prescription? Maybe in some of the provinces you do and some not.

If you are near a university medical center, their prices are often less than a pharmacy and they may sell individual cartridges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.