1/24 Buddys amps199,+4~225

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marci and Buddy, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marci and Buddy

Marci and Buddy Member

Does anyone understand whats going on with Buddy? :
    I increased from fat .75 to slim 1, should i go up to a regular 1u?
    all of a sudden, for no reason he lost his green a few weeks ago, and now he's in yellow-i just dont get it...suggestions very much appreciated.
    thanks everyone-enjoy the sunday.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Anything going on with Buddy? Eating ok? Litterbox ok, any sign of not feeling good? how's the teeth?
    Did you change food recently? Does he have access to snacks thru the day?

3. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi Marci,

looking at Buddy's numbers it does seem that they are increasing slightly.

Bearing in mind what Ronnie has said it does look as though a smidge more (he looks quite sensitive to even micro increases)may help.

What I find that helps is recording when kitty has eaten throughout day, monitoring behaviour and the 5 p's. It isn't just about the numbers.

If it were me and I was looking at increasing because he's in relatively low numbers I would want to do it when I could monitor and be preparedif he does drop low. (I was a data freak and would stay up till 2 a.m to get a pm +6-really believe this helped in keeping Lucky beautifully regulated)

He could have a spluttering pancreas-analogy being good days at work your more productive, bad days not so productive.

You often have to go up to come back down again so don't worry about that. A good example is Heather/Jasper. It has taken them pretty much 2 years to get to an OTJ trial, lots of ups and downs. Some kitties will always need insulin, there's no way of knowing.

No change in environment either is there? (building work, tension in house? Cats pick up on alot more than they are given credit for)

Your doing great :mrgreen:

ps-if you ever decrease and it doen't hold, you immediately go back to the last good dose.

4. Marci and Buddy

Marci and Buddy Member

thanks for your help ...there has been zero changes at home or with Buddy, that's why i don't understand. its very discouraging- just when i think he may be on the way to otj, he goes yellow.
    i dont get why his pancrease works well for months and then stops, without any changes.
    however , the 5 p's are still great-he doesn't seem much different , except maybe alittle more mellow at 220 than at 75, but still very happy, and quite demanding! :twisted:
    so i should go to a reg.1 u...is that right?

5. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Sorry for delay Marci, missed your reply.

If it were me and bearing in mind what you've said yes I would. Please do it when you can monitor as like I said he looks quite sensitive to even the slightest change in insulin dose.

Don't be disheartened (I was the same with Lucky). I can't tell you why they seem to do well on dose decreases and then seem to need to go back up again (increased activity, increases bg, too much for pancreas? I honestly don't know)

This isn't the ned of the tale-remember the sugar dance can be a long one.

If Buddy's bg drops a lot in a short space of time (or increaes)they can feel crappy. If you see that happening, give a verra small lc snack just to take the edge off the drop.
    If you can, start recording more info on your ss in terms of food, also noting if you hott early/late (even by 15 mins). Your in that tweaking zone.
    He may stay a insulin dependent kitty always, he may not, only time will tell.

Don't lose heart, he's still your Buddy cat_pet_icon

6. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

you increased his dose last night, right? Give that a few days to see what it can do. Sometimes you have to go up to be able to go back down. Lucy did that to me several times, and I had to climb a few (or a bunch) of notches back up the dosing ladder to get her started on the downward path again.

When was the last time you changed cartridges?

7. Marci and Buddy

Marci and Buddy Member

ok thanks Libby.Last cartridge was changed just 2or 3 weeks ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.