1/24 Logan AMPS 280, +7 260, PMPS 294

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kelly & Logan, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

Yesterday:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3664

Ate about 1/8 can of FF and some baby food. Will get a ketone test as soon as I can! Hopefully, it's still trace or maybe we'll get a negative today!

ETA: ketones were between negative and trace! Woo hoo!
    +7 BG
    PMPS BG

2. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Re: 1/24 Logan AMPS 280

Great news re: the ketones! Hope Logan keeps cruising down the road to recovery.

3. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Kelly
    Great news on the Ketones and the eating.
    Praying for Logan's recovery to be quick and strong.
    Keep it up!!!!

4. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice AMPS Logan...Kelly...such good news about the ketones....
    :D Hope you two have a good day....

5. Kelly & Logan

Re: 1/24 Logan AMPS 280, +7 260

Hasn't come down a whole lot since this morning, but at least he's still in the 200s. He ate about 3/8 can of FF on his own around +5 and just had about 1/8 can. Getting ready for his afternoon tube feeding. I'll be so happy when he's eating well on his own and that thing can come out. But, it definitely saved his life. I really don't think he would've made it w/o it, so I'm glad we let them put it in.

6. Nancy & Bee

Nancy & Bee Member

Re: 1/24 Logan AMPS 280, +7 260

(((Kelly & Logan)))

What a struggle you & your sweet boy have had! So glad that things are improving day by day. :mrgreen:
    Sending continued vines for a speedy recovery! :YMHUG:

7. Kelly & Logan

Ugh, we have small ketones again. :( That's my fault - I haven't been flushing enough water through his tube today. Bad mommy.

He ate a little baby food, no interest in his FF. He did eat a small handfull of Wellness Core dry.

He's due for his next tube feeding in about 2 hours. He'll get his meds then, too (Metronidazole, prednisolone, anti-nausea, pain).

8. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

this sounds much better than yesterday's update, I hope things continue to improve. ((((Kelly))))

9. Kelly & Logan

Libby, I was so happy when he woke me up around 3 am this morning - he was hungry and the ketones were almost gone! I'm very disappointed that they're back up to small. I'll keep flushing some water through his tube very 1-2 hours.

Also, I noticed this evening that his left eye was slightly hazy. Any thoughts on that?

10. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

Hi Kelly!

So glad to hear that Logan is eating well.. What great news!
    Now... go away ketones! Sounds like you are right on top of things..

11. Kelly & Logan

Got in another ketone test. This one was lighter than the last - somewhere between trace and small, but closer in color to trace. We just feed him and changed his gauze around the tube. No interest in eating tonight. I'm hoping he'll wake me in the wee hours wanting food!

I'm so scared he's not going to eat again on his own. Is it too soon for me to want to see more progress from the pred? He's just not feeling well, still. He has moments where he seems to feel better, but a lot of the time he's very lethargic and doesn't seem to care about much. That really scares me.

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

((Kelly))

I so wish our kitties could talk. Logan could tell you what was going on rather than trying to guess. I suspect it's like with beans, when we're recovering from an illness, sometimes during the day we feel better and sometimes not so good. I think if you try to look at the day as a whole, rather than each hour, you may have a better sense of how Logan is doing.

13. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Hello Kelly!
    I needed someone to tell me daily that the pred is reducing inflammation, then helps control it. Until the inflammation goes down enough Logan will not feel 100%. Depending on how severe the inflammation was, it may take a while...but you will see those small improvements that you HAVE been seeing. I am more than happy to tell you this every day, if it helps! :mrgreen: I needed constant reassurance, because it is very scary when your cat will just not eat.

Keep this in mind as well...Logan has not eaten well on his own for quite some time now. He is used to being nauseated. It might take some time for him to recognize that he is hungry and that he is not nauseated. I did not have the resources for a feeding tube, so I syringe fed for 9 months until we had the crisis leading to pred as the only option other than pts. It was very difficult to wean her off the feedings and trust that Latte would eat. I imagine it will be the same thing with the tube. You dont want to feed so much that they wont eat on their own, but you need to make sure they get enough food in them. You may want to talk to your vets and ask them how you make this transition. How long is it okay to let Logan try and eat on his own? How much is acceptable for him to eat on his own before you have to feed through the tube? Can you reduce the amount in the tube, so you can see if he will have more of an appetite? The assist feeding group might be helpful with these questions as well. Its a fine balance, and every cat will be different. I wont say its easy either. But i do believe in my heart you will work it out.

For some reason I thought you said you were going e/o day with the pred, but your sig says twice/day. If you are doing e/o day, maybe check with the vet and see if maybe that was too soon? I guess I would not want to decrease the dose/frequency until I saw consistent improvement. But that is just me. And it is a steroid....not to be taken lightly or overused.

I fully empathize with your worry, concerns, and fear. I live in the same place every day. It's not fun. Make sure you focus on every little positive. Let logan see you focusing on that. I dont doubt it will help tremendously.

((((((((((kelly)))))))))))
    You are so strong and doing an amazing job. Please dont forget that, no matter how tired you get.

14. Kelly & Logan

Thank you, Carolyn. Your words and experience mean so much! I try to focus on the small improvements, but it's so hard to second guess myself when he's not feeling well. It's just so hard to see him like this. I will try to keep telling myself that this is a slow process! He's getting the pred bid - 5mg each. She said we'll do that for 1-2 weeks depending on his progress. He did just eat 3/4 can of FF on his own. He seems to do best around this time with eating on his own. When I went to bed, he just didn't seem to care. When he woke me up, he was purring.

I also got a ketone test in - we're back to somewhere between negative and trace, so that's great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.