1/26 - Feeding Questions

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by FrostD, Jan 26, 2021.

1. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

As always, thanks for your patience and help while I play another day of 20 Questions :confused: Please by all means link me to posts that explain, I just can't seem to find any.

I've been reading through lots of different posts, and am noticing quite a bit of mid cycle feedings (props?) of a tbsp of LC/MC here or there (plus the obvious HC/syrup for hypo/near hypo).

Questions:
    - What's the methodology? It seems this is done to slow down drops into the green range? Prevent bouncing perhaps? It's been quite some time since I've seen green, but these small feedings weren't a "thing" on Vetsulin forum (at least that I ever saw).

- I currently feed 1.5 cans at AMPS and PMPS. The auto feeder removes it 2 hrs before test time. He usually eats a full can right away, then snacks on the remaining 1/2 can til it's gone at about +5. I've done it this way since we switched to LC diet, do I need to change this?

Also on TR, what are the critical tests to get? I'll be having a baby any time in the next month, time is about to be a precious commodity again. I've been aiming for AM +3, +6, and +9, and PM +2 (and at least one +6 at each dose)...just not sure if that's good enough.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

First a couple housekeeping links for you. The link to your last post here. Which we like to see for continuity. And this one: POSTING GUIDELINES PLEASE READ We like to especially see your kitty's name in the subject line. :)

OK, onto other links in a bit. First, bounces are caused by either dropping lower than they are used to, or dropping too fast. If you have a kitty that likes to onset hard and drop fast, those early to mid cycle meals can slow the drop by making sure he has fresh carbs on board before the onset, hopefully slowing it down. It's what we call feeding the curve. More detail here: Using Food to Manipulate the Curve. There are also a couple interesting posts by Jill (insulin guru) about when to feed/not to feed in this thread. One thing to note, regulation comes from the right combination of food and insulin. Ideally you'd like them to drop gently into the greens, then coast along there as long as possible to help healing.

It's much easier on a cat's healing pancreas to feed more frequent smaller meals. Human diabetics do the same.

As for testing (congrats on the future non fur baby by the way :)), TR suggests the two preshots, plus at least two others. You don't have to get the +3, 6, and 9 you have been doing every day. For many people (and cats), the +2 is a great test to get. If the +2 is about the same as the preshot, you'll get a typical Lantus curve with some downward movement. If you get a +2 that is quite a bit lower than the preshot, it'll be an active cycle that needs more monitoring. If it's higher than preshot, it'll be a quiet cycle cycle and you can put away the test kit. One caveat, there are some cats, like mine, for who the +3 was a better indicator of how the cycle will go. I was all about minimizing the amount of tests I needed to do, so spent quite a bit of time looking over Neko's spreadsheet, looking for patterns. It's a little early yet to see patterns for Mr. Kitty, but you will get there over time.

FrostD likes this.
  3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ah thank you! I'll read through those when I get a chance. I just didn't think his name or data was relevant this time, but got it now.