1/30 Ming PMPS = 256 test results

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Crista & Ming, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-29-ming-pmps-146-vet-visit-iaa-test-fail.224954/

The vet just called to relay the test results. I don’t have them in front of me right now but will get them tomorrow and post the labs.

In summary:
    • He’s mildly dehydrated. Urine is quite concentrated with +4 protein. So she’s adding something on to test if it’s something we need to address (already forgot what she’s adding to test for that).
    • His thyroid results is in the grey zone so she’s going to add on a free t4 test. (Geez, Ming, can you be more complicated???)
    • There’s some inflammation going on. Either from his asthma or he might have some level of pancreatitis.
    • His liver values have come down but still elevated. She says it’s most likely from the pred use. 7 months ago, the value was 169. Today, it’s 104.
    I’m not well versed in reading labs at all or understanding anything so I hope to get some help deciphering it all once I post the results tomorrow :)

@Wendy&Neko
    @Sandy and Black Kitty
    I’ll be calling MSU either tomorrow or next week. I want to see if the hospital will let me make the call so I don’t have to pay long distance if there are long distance fees LOL

Si am cat mom likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

urine protein/creatinine ratio (also called UPCR). Neko had proteinuria, got the test regularly. Has Ming had his blood pressure tested?

Good news the liver values have come down so much! I had two cats in a row whose liver numbers went down as a result of being on pred. :rolleyes:

Good luck with calling MSU.

Spreadsheet values don't match your subject line. ;)

3. Crista & Ming

Oh shoot. Thanks for catching that!

Did you do anything to treat it? No, he hasn't had his blood pressure tested recently. I think I'll go steal a doppler tomorrow and do his blood pressure :D

4. Wendy&Neko

Depends on what causes the proteinuria. Which needs the results of the UPCR first to determine if proteinuria is present. BP can also help determine what is causing the proteinuria. Different causes means different treatments. For Neko, the treatment was benazapril. Don't let anyone tell you the chewable Fortekor version tastes good to a cat, if that is what Ming ends up on. :rolleyes:

5. Crista & Ming

I did some quick reading and am still trying to understand what protein in urine might mean. But I'm getting the idea it's either kidney disease or some temporary infection or just benign. I don't know *shrugs* LoL! Guess we'll wait for results to see.

This is what I remember though about this kidneys: during one of his ultrasounds, they said one of his kidneys is smaller and the vet then suggested he might have had something happen to it....? He had +2 protein in his urine last time but his urine was less concentrated. Vet mentioned maybe it's because his urine is more concentrated yesterday.

Is benazapril the same as fortekor then? Always thought fortekor was for heart disease but then I read the website. Interesting!

6. Wendy&Neko

Fortekor is the (expensive) brand of benazapril available in Canada. Yes it's an ace inhibitor, also used for heart disease. Came in handy for Neko later.

7. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Be careful with Fortekor, I suspect my CRF kitty ended up having anemia due to prolonged use. I don't know for sure, it was many years ago, but I would monitor blood tests regularly, just my 2 cents.

Si am cat mom likes this.
  8. Crista & Ming

Thanks Christie. I'll keep that in mind and ask about the risks and alternatives.

Christie & Maverick likes this.