1/5 Elmo AMPS 111..no shoot..+3 74, +6 95, +11 98, PMPS 104..no shoot

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Beth 73, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Good morning...Elmo skipped last night's vetsulin so this 111 is all on his own. He was to start today with first dose of Lantus at .25......has had no insulin in 24 hours...need help with dosage...follow a 7 and 7 schedule ...thank u so very much

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm glad you're stalling without food. I would test again in 30 minutes (if your shot schedule allows you to be off by a half hour), and see where he's at. I have to log off now, to get ready for work, so can not help you with the dose or no dose decision. I'm sure others will be along, though. Good luck.
    111 after a skipped shot is pretty impressive.

3. Beth 73

Thank you, Dyana...what a start to a first day...I feed in 30 minutes..was so excited I didn't even notice when took first BG..will take a second now...

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

If you are stalling don't give any food or the tests will be influenced by the food.

5. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Wow. That is an exciting way to start your first day!

I am also leaving for work....but I know others will be on soon to help. :bighug:

6. Beth 73

Have not fed...just took second BG...120

7. Beth 73

Thank u, thank u ...

8. Beth 73

Hello !! Have not fed...second BG just taken..120

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Are you able to stall longer?
    111 and 120 are much the same but it is rising a bit. I think it is too low for you to shoot though as you are just starting Lantus today and you don't know how Elmo will react

10. Beth 73

I have never had to stall so not sure "longer" is....I would normally be shooting in about 30 minutes...

11. Beth 73

Thank you so much...feel like a newbie all over again...Elmo is sensitive to med changes prior to this change...as u said, not sure how he will react to Lantus ..

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Beth!
    Stalling means not feeding and waiting to see what the bsl does. If it rises high enough to a point where you are comfortable and it is safe to shoot, then you shoot. If it doesn't rise, then you have to decide to either skip the shot or give a smaller dose. Bit hard to give a smaller dose when you are only giving 0.25 though!
    I have stalled for 2 hours a couple of times. It is a nuisance getting back on track but is far better than doing something unsafe and having to deal with the consequences!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I am having a bit of trouble with the internet and staying logged in so if I disappear you will know why, but I will try and get back on.

14. Beth 73

Fully agree,Bron. I will take your lead on this. And yes, smaller than .25 is a bit of a challenge:rolleyes: . I have all the time in the world..am home all the time( bit of a Hobbit) so I am flexible and available :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. Beth 73

Totally understand the internet thing...we live in small town where that is common .

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  16. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok. I would test again in 20 minutes.
    How is Elmo, he is probably wondering where the food is.

17. Beth 73

He is pitching a fit, spoiled old dude :):bighug:

18. Beth 73

BTW, Sheba is beautiful !!!

19. Beth 73

Just took BG...117

20. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thank you! I think so too!
    So is Elmo....he has the sweetest face.

Ok so he is not doing much.
    How long have you been stalling for now...I mean since when it should have been AMPS?

21. Beth 73

Hmmmmm..... not so sure about this first day so far:)...am ready to do what is best, safest for him

22. Beth 73

Would be giving shot now

23. Beth 73

It has been an hour since initial BG of 111

24. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey there, just catching up with your post and I say if you can stall another 30 minutes without Elmo killing you and eating you, see if he comes up but, if not feed him and skip this shot . Better for him to be safe since you don't know how he is going to react on Lantus for the first time .

Critter Mom and Beth 73 like this.
  25. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok. So just to make sure I have this right:
    You are just at what should be AMPS now?
    And the bsl of 111 was at +11 of the pm cycle?
    Is that right?

26. Beth 73

Yes that 111 is a +11 from last night.....and should now be giving AM shot ...

27. Beth 73

That was my thot..try another BG in about 15 minutes..will post summary of BG s thus far when take next one in 15 minutes....this is after no vetsulin since this time yesterday..it had really started tanking him so with advice from others we skipped PM dose last night ....mercy, this cat is aging me and at my age I do not need that:):rolleyes:

Critter Mom and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  28. Bobbie And Bubba

It would be nice if he would come up to at least 150 so you can shoot as you have never shot lower than that. With Lantus we shoot low to stay low but that is after data to see how kitty reacts to Lantus. Let's see what the next test shows. Hope he's not trying to chew your legs off, LOL

29. Bron and Sheba (GA)

OK.
    Well I am inclined to agree with Bobbie and try for another half an hour or even an hour stalling as you would not be too far off schedule if you did that. Then if it has not come up to around 150, I would skip and start again tonight. Much safer to do that. And it would be interesting to see what his numbers do during the day without insulin.

@Bobbie And Bubba are you going to be around now? It is late at night here in Oz and I should get some shut eye!

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  30. Bobbie And Bubba

I'll be online for another 45 mins or so then I need to get ready for an appointment. Nighty night and sleep tight, Bron.

31. Beth 73

Yes, Bron...the whole time zone, night and summer in Australia, day and snow here ,still entertains me :).....what a fun world :)

32. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thanks Bobbie!
    Beth, I will leave you in the capable hands of Bobbie. Good luck with it all. Your 'problem' is a good one! Elmo looks like he is doing very well since he started insulin.
    I will check in when I wake up and see how you went.
    Good luck!!:)

33. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hi Beth, I'm watching this from here. The pros have given you great advice. Stalling without feeding is a good technique - had to do it this morning myself and there were three kitties wondering what the heck happened to the grub. If you end up having to miss this shot it's not a huge problem. His numbers have been really good lately.

Beth 73 likes this.
  34. Beth 73

Thank u so very much, Bron....u were my first L contact so that makes it special...sleep well:bighug:

35. Beth 73

Morning Kris !!! Were ur kitties " sharking the kitchen"As Jo and Ozzy say ???:)

Critter Mom likes this.
  36. Kris & Teasel

Not too much sharking but lots of yelling from Teasel especially! :confused:

I hope you're not too unnerved at the way your first morning on Lantus is going. If you end up skipping this AM tests through the day will give good info.

Beth 73 likes this.
  37. Bobbie And Bubba

And I am your second best, right????

38. Beth 73

Ok ya'll...here is Elmo summary:
    +11....111
    30 minutes later...120
    30 minutes later...117
    30 minutes later....117

39. Beth 73

Teeeheeee...absolutely not :):bighug::bighug::bighug:... my attention is often drawn to firsts tho...it can be interesting :)

40. Beth 73

Kris and Bobbie...I think I'm waving the no shot white flag and going to feed my ole guy...he is over there licking the floor where I feed him....at what hours should I be taking BG s today ???

41. Beth 73

Yep, my second, but no lesser, best :)

42. Bobbie And Bubba

Beth, go ahead and post the test results for today even if you don't shoot. All data is good data.

With him not eating, he might continue to hang out at 117 or even go down some more. It's your call, if you want to skip and then shoot tonight if he comes up tonight. Just saw you post, good call, I would be inclined to skip too.

Beth 73 likes this.
  43. Beth 73

Also , please ignore any odd comments today....was so keyed up about today that didn't sleep much...gotta get me some more :coffee::coffee: right fast, as they say here in the Ozarks:)

44. Kris & Teasel

Skipping is what I would do at this point.

Beth 73 likes this.
  45. Bobbie And Bubba

Your comments where perfect. I'm on my second cup trying to wake up. Oh, and Beth, Welcome to L & L land!

Beth 73 likes this.
  46. Kris & Teasel

More jo, eh? as we Canucks might say ... ;)

Beth 73 and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  47. Beth 73

Thank u so much,Bobbie....good times to monitor/post BGs today?? And should I go ahead and post them on my today's thread , as tho I did shoot???

48. Bobbie And Bubba

I would grab one about 2 hours after he eats to see what food does without insulin on board and then another one around +6. Give Elmo and you a pokey break today.

Beth 73 likes this.
  49. Beth 73

Hey Kris !!! It is snowing here !!! Light but coming down...nothing by Canadian standards tho .....oh how I love the "eh":):bighug::):bighug::)

Critter Mom likes this.
  50. Bobbie And Bubba

We just crossed posted and I threw out some test times above. Yes, I would post them on this thread and then tomorrow you will be copying this thread and attaching it to tomorrow's post so everyone can see what transpired today.

51. Beth 73

Elmo says bless and thank u, Bobbie and Bubba :bighug:. And Bubba is such an awesome name for an obviously awesome kitty:):bighug:

52. Kris & Teasel

Enjoy your light dusting of snow, Beth! :)

Beth 73 and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  53. Beth 73

And Elmo says " yeahhhhhh....pokey break !!!!".... seriously , in his younger days he was a wild thing but has mellowed as gotten older...bless his heart !

54. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Well, wasn't that an interesting way to start the first morning of this path. :woot: Elmo is definitely a kitty on a mission and he is having fun keeping you on the edge of your seat wondering what he's going to do next. When exactly did you get him up to the full dose of his thyroid meds? I'm thinking that may be playing a role here too.

So happy you at least got some snow to make up for Elmo kind of taking the steam out of your "let's do it" balloon this morning. ;):D

55. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

Oh Wow Mr. Elmo...way to surprise your mama!!

Beth, I'm going to be peeking in today to see how things are going.

Good luck to you and Elmo!

56. Beth 73

Thanks, Jo..it was a shock...not counting any chickens before they hatch,, i do wish i had changed to Lantus early on, as you did..what a good Ozzy/Figgy momma !!

57. Beth 73

Morning , Linda...we started full 2.5 mg thy med ( AM only per holistic vet idea) on Monday, January 2nd...wouldnt think it would make a difference that quick, do you??

58. Beth 73

To clarify...i started 2.5 mg whole in morning and then 3/4 pill evening

59. Beth 73

Is there anything i should be doing right now? if he comes in seeking more food , even tho has eaten well earlier, should i feed him small amounts?? Should i be testing before next scheduled +6??

60. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Welcome from me too! How exciting! :woot::D

Feed as you normally would. Small meals are best on that healing pancreas. :)

61. MrWorfMen's Mom

Beth, while I think it takes a few days or even a couple of weeks for meds to show their full effect, I also think that effects can be seen almost immediately. Part of that is just individual biology but anyway you slice it, if you add a chemical/hormone to the system to alter other chemicals/hormones, there has to be some effect to some degree. Given that Elmo was hyperthyroid before he became diabetic, it makes sense that getting his thyroid under better control would have a positive effect on his BGs and the history over the last few weeks seems to suggest something positive is happening. Whether that is Elmo's pancreas getting back to business or a combination of pancreas/thyroid control you'll never know for sure. Elmo is leading this dance and for now all you can do is follow his lead and keep him safe because he appears to be changing the steps to his dance yet again.

Looks like you tested about 3 hours after AMPS and got that lovely 74 which may have been food influenced to some degree given your stall this morning. I'd give you and Elmo a break and just test again at +6. As for food, if he is going nuts for food, give him a snack as you normally would but you're not steering now, there's no insulin on board so I'd let Elmo decide when he needs food. He may still "think" he needs food when his numbers are down in the greens but this too should wain if he continues to stay in those low numbers.

62. Wendy&Neko

Oh yeah, on testing, you could change it to a +5 instead of a +6 if you want. But with no insulin for 24 hours, it's only be data gathering.

Beth 73 likes this.
  63. Wendy&Neko

A cat being hyper (or hypo) thyroid is a source of insulin resistance. Getting the thyroid meds right definitely helps.

Adding onto that comment about the hormone system, my girl Neko had acromegaly, which is excess growth hormone. That made her blood sugar much harder to regulate too.

64. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Welcome! What an exciting start to 'Lantus'.

Will be interesting to see what Elmo does later today:cool::D

Beth 73 likes this.
  65. Beth 73

Thank u to u all...and yes, an interesting intro day to LL Land....maybe just the thot of going on Lantus has inspired Elmo, eh??:) An FYI, instead of going immediately to sleep in his man cave he is up looking out of windows at the birds, carrying his toy mouse around. Could not tell you all the last time he did that:)

66. Gill & George

:):):):)
    Heart warming

Beth 73 likes this.
  67. MrWorfMen's Mom

Those behavioural signs are a good gauge of things too! Wonderful to hear he's getting back to the business of being himself! You must be delighted! I wonder if the Vetsulin even though it worked well for him, was making him feel a bit punky as it does with some cats. ;)

68. Beth 73

Thank you, Linda !!! Taking it hour by hour, day by day....can't get all caught up in any stage of this sugar dance, neither the highs nor the lows . But this is interesting doing the two step with my boy .

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  69. Beth 73

Oh I am positive of that...it really slammed him, made him sleep all the time, even for an almost 17 year old kitty.

70. Bobbie And Bubba

Just checked your SS and +3 77 Yippee!!

Beth 73 likes this.
  71. Beth 73

I know!! Unreal!!! It's his behavior that is thrilling me. Up bopping around instead of groggy and lethargic....that warms his momma's heart :):cat::bighug:

72. MrWorfMen's Mom

mini-graphics-cats-075086.gif for Elmo for making his Mama happy!

Barbara & Uncle (GA) and Beth 73 like this.
  73. Beth 73

Thank u, Wendy...he loves to hog it all down at first feeding of the morning so am going to work at spreading that out more...if Elmo will allow:rolleyes:

74. Beth 73

Awwww, scritches to Menace and all your babies too, Linda :bighug::bighug::bighug:

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  75. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

What a wonderful non-start! LOL. Welcome! I glanced at your SS yesterday on your initial post here (LL) and thought to myself - oh, she has this!:cool:

This is so exciting. I can relate to the elation of seeing our kitties happy and healthy and acting like they should be acting.

eta - the look that Elmo has in your avatar cracks me up. That upward look of "oh, really?"

76. Beth 73

Hi Wendy...since Elmo is use to eating just twice a day how would it be good to divide and space his food out...put several hours between smaller meals ??? I think I know what you mean but have had the " only feed them twice a day" hammered into me that I literally don't know how to do it otherwise .....thank u in advance for insight on this:)

77. Beth 73

Oh thank you, Lizzie !!! Elmo and I are thrilled to be here ....obviously Elmo already thinks it is the best :)

78. Beth 73

I see we both started this sugar dance at the same time in July...was an interesting summer until I locked in here at FDMB .....so so grateful for everyone here :bighug::bighug::bighug:

79. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Reading this thread - absolutely amazing - you might have a completely unused Lantus pen after this is over
    So nice to read such good news - congratulations to handsome Elmo (and I love his name)

Critter Mom likes this.
  80. Beth 73

Thank u, thank u Carol...taking it one day at a time :)....

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  81. Gill & George

George was also a twice a day cat, until FD, I feed him at 3 hourly intervals now.
    He gets a main meal at 8am and 8pm.(4 teaspoons)

Then snacks at 3 hourly intervals in between, morning and night, I have an autofeeder that helps me with that, so I'm not at his constant beck and call:rolleyes:

8am 4tsp
    11am 2tsp
    2pm 2tp
    5pm 2tsp
    8pm 4tsp
    11pm 2tsp
    2am 2tsp
    5am 2tsp

Beth 73 likes this.
  82. Beth 73

I love Murphy's name .... our kids named all the cats we have when they were young..a Sesame Street vibe was definitely going on with Elmo:). I haven't gotten to name our cats in over 25 years :rolleyes:

83. Beth 73

oh thank u !!! This is how literal I need it, so simple...this makes me very happy !!!!!

84. Beth 73

85. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I got Murphy from a shelter and that was already his name - if he had been younger, I would have renamed him
    Some years ago, I got a 5 year old cat from two guys who had named him xeryous (pronounced zeer ee ous) I renamed that cat, for sure

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  86. Kris & Teasel

Hi Beth,

Checking in on my nephew, the Buddha Kitteh again. I was told to feed Teasel only twice a day at diagnosis but that wasn't his routine, as I told my vet. I feed the main meals AM and PM with a small lunch mid day and a smaller bedtime snack. I think that works better.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  87. Beth 73

Kris, that sounds perfect. He is gaining weight , which he needed( we use to refer to him as our bag-of-air kitty) but I don't want him to get overweight .....thanks for checking in on us:bighug::bighug::bighug:BTW, just took a +6 and he was 95....and the Elmo waltz continues:cat:

88. Beth 73

"Zeer ee ous" ?!?!?!....whoa now that's a name begin' to be changed :cat:

89. Kris & Teasel

You can take Elmo's total daily ration and subdivide it into those meals I described so he's not getting extra, just more meals.

90. MrWorfMen's Mom

Beth, I split Menace's rations into 8 equal portions and give her 2 portions at pre-shot and 1 portion at 2 snack times per cycle. To some degree, the numbers and Elmo will give you clues as to when to feed but I agree that giving food throughout the cycles keeps Kitty and BGs under better control and saves Mama's sanity as well.

LOVE LOVE LOVE that 95! Way to go Elmo! :D:D:D:D:cat:

91. Beth 73

@Kris & Teasel .....knowing Elmo, your nephew :), as you do, what would be your suggestion as to monitoring BG after PMPS time, should numbers keep trending this way ???

92. Beth 73

Hey Linda, same question to you that I posed to Kris. Knowing Elmo as you do,if numbers continue trending after PMPS how often/when should I monitor BGs tonight ???

93. Beth 73

I like that idea, Kris :)

94. Kris & Teasel

I see you did a +3 and then more recently a +5 (or was it +6?). Why not do the same this evening if you have another no shot? If his BG is high enough to shoot tonight that plan can change.

Beth 73 likes this.
  95. Wendy&Neko

We too were on Caninsulin/Vetsulin first and Neko would have no part of that just two meals a day show.:mad: Before FD she had 4-5 meals a day. After FD it was more like 7 meals a day. I just divided her food up and gave a little under half at the main meal and spread the rest into a couple of meals later on in the cycle. Since she got CKD later, having a small snack just before I went to bed helped her tummy. And was my attempt to keep her quiet in the AM so I could sleep to AMPS time.

What you might want to do today is get something like a +11 or +11.5 and post for suggestions what/if to shoot.

Beth 73 likes this.
  96. Beth 73

Sounds good...I got a plus +6 little bit ago....this is sure helping to learn even better how to fly by the seat of my pants !!! And I thot I was a pretty chill person but this could make a person be a nail biter :nailbiting:

Critter Mom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  97. Beth 73

Great idea , Wendy...will do that .....he finally went up to his man cave( aka upstairs landing) and has been fast asleep since 11 ish...what a life :cat:

Critter Mom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  98. MrWorfMen's Mom

Funny how we nail bite whether there is insulin on board or not! That anticipation can be so hard! :joyful:

99. Beth 73

Isn't that too often the way...I strive for peace inside and let what's around me not mess with my head too much ....now that can be a battle royal at times .... ;)

100. Kris & Teasel

Just look at the Zen Kitteh - he knows how to do it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.