1/8/10 Test results on Buddy

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Jan and Buddy, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

I'm going to type this as it is on the results sheets I got. Pay attention to the dates and the time stamps. Well even tho I'm confused at what he is saying here, at least Buddy's numbers are showing that he IS NOT Acro!!

PAGE 1 OF 1

Procedure: Ref.Range
    Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 68 (12-92)
    Insulin Autoantibody 72

12/18/2009 15:29 Endocrinology Interpretation
    The normal concentration of insulin-like growth factor 1 does not provide support for a differential diagnosis of acromegaly.
    For both dogs and cats, insulin autoantibody index result below a value of 20 are viewed as normal, or negative. This result supports a significant presence of insulin-binding antibody as a possible cause of insulin resistance. What signs are present?

Below-This info was after I think he talked to one of the Vets where I take Buddy.

PAGE 1 OF 2

12/18/2009 15:29 Endocrinology Interpretation

December 31, 2009 This report is reissued in follow-up to additional information on the history of insulin treatment in this cat. The approach to dealing with insulin autoantibody formation as the cause of insulin resistance is not well defined. One option is to try other forms of insulin. Regardless of the form of insulin, one can be on a 'roller coaster' of increasing the dose of insulin and then getting a response of hypoglycemia necessitating a decrease in the dose.

PAGE 2 OF 2

12/18/2009 15:29 Endocrinology Interpretation:
    Report revised on 12/31/2009 14:16
    Previously reported as:
    The normal concentration of insulin-like growth factor 1 does not provide support for a differential diagnosis of acromegaly.

For both dogs and cats, insulin autoantibody index result below a value of 20 are viewed as normal, or negative. This result supports a significant presence of insulin-binding antibody as possible cause of insulin resistance What signs are present?

Signed
    Kent R Refsal DVM PhD
    Professor, Endocrinology.

ANY THOUGHTS ????????

2. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Well I posted to you on your thread in LL so...just one: Hello and welcome to your 2nd home! :YMHUG:

Let us know if you have questions and we'll do everything we can to find answers for you. This board moves a lot slower than LL so it takes a little longer for posts to get responded to, but that doesn't make you any less welcome!

BTW for anyone who is labwork challenged like me.. Buddy is positive for IAA and negative for acro - yay for Buddy!

3. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

YAY!!! I'm so glad the results were negative for acro. The IAA can still be a struggle, but at least it's one that can be beat.

flip_cat

4. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Hi Jan,
    You saw my post over on LL yesterday I saw but I went to find you this AM and you hadn't posted yet. I hope you are doing alright.

Remember - deep breaths. You are doing great. It all takes time and with the IAA just as if he had had the acro - the dosing is going to take more time than the cats with "just" diabetes. I did write Sandy and BK. I have not been able to find Sharyn and Fiona listed here on the new board. I am going to check in the listings over on facebook. So hang in there.

And remember - whenever you get too nervous and worried - you just give me a call. It's not worth being that upset! ALONE! Like I always said - I don't have all the answers but we can work something out and find someone with the right answer for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.