1/8 Baby AMPS (No Shot will be given) +20.5 289

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nicole & Baby, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I tried twice this morning to test Baby's BG, but got an error message - so I went ahead & fed her. Do I give the Insulin now? I am going to start her on .5, I am off to watch a video to see how - hopefully I can get all this right :shock:

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

BUMP

Hi Nicole!

have u made sure ur getting enough blood sucked up on the strip? keep trying ok?

3. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/7 Baby begins Lantus

Ronnie, I read your reply & tried again - BG Reading is 212 right now.

4. Ronnie & Luna

great! as u said, u went ahead and fed her, so u will see bit of a food spike...how behind are u now since u wanted to start dosing this morning?

confirm what u want to start with please?

5. Ronnie & Luna

ah ha! I found yesterdays thread...looks like the .5 was a good suggestion. Did u shoot?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1516

6. Nicole & Baby

.5 is what i am thinking...I will go ahead & give the injection now...ultimately we will not be on this schedule..but can be for a few days....
    When do I test her BG again after the injection?

7. Ronnie & Luna

Follow the "curve" guidelines in this link,,,from the stickie up top, NEW TO GROUP...please read thru as much as u can today while ur home, you'll want to arm yourself with lantus knowledge!! YEA!! :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=157

u can test again maybe +2 and +3, post your numbers in ur SS and update here in your condo and we'll go from there.

8. Nicole & Baby

I did it! 1st injection - but I cannot imagine that it did anything.. I got my syringe, drew insulin out to the .5 marking & then I got Baby, made a tent on her scruff & pushed the syringe in quick & it was over - petted the fur & it was not wet - so it must have went in her? Concerned about the time though - because it is way off from where we will be, I was just anxious to get started - plus I do see that there are ways of getting back to a schedule that will work with work.
    Deep Breath. We started Lantus. Now what? What do I do all day? Stare at her? What am I looking for? Her ears are getting bruised from my daily testing twice - I am not real fond of the curve situation - I think testing a couple times of day is what her & I both can tolerate.

Did she feel that injection? It did not seem like she even noticed it. Now I am just nervous about what I am looking for. I know Lantus takes a while & then also has a "shed" so maybe I don't need to test her BG again for a few days? Just keep giving my injections?

P.S THANK YOU Ronnie...for being here today for me : ) :dizcat :RAHCAT

9. Ronnie & Luna

no you dont; have to test every hour, lol, then u would turn into a testaholic like some of us :roll: lol
    sounds like u did fine! You can stop staring at her and go have some chocolate lol!
    Besides, you will get the hang of testing Baby and it will get easier!

You really don't want to take a "testing day off" so to speak...ALWAYS test before giving injections. ALWAYS. plus a couple of spotchecks through each cycle would be fine.

Would like to see u try for a +3 thou ok? That's 3 hours after your shot time...let's see what others can suggest for adjusting your shot times.

10. Nicole & Baby

Thanks Ronnie! I will do a +3
    But I wonder if that will matter, I read that Lantus takes awhile? Can I leave the house for a few hours later today (to run errands, go to the gym, etc) as long as food is left out?

11. Nicole & Baby

How do I know the Insulin went in her? It all seemed too easy.

jillnc1 likes this.
  12. Pat and Skipper (GA)

Pat and Skipper (GA) Member

"I think testing a couple times of day is what her & I both can tolerate"

Always test at AMPS and PMPS to be sure it is safe to shoot. A spot check at +5 to +6 is good because that is the usual nadir and will show you how the insulin is affecting her. Testing will get easier as you get more experience and as her ear learns to bleed.

You are off to a good start.

13. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Couple ways to be sure the insulin went in.

1) do you feel wetness on the fur - No? Insulin went in.

2) does the fur smell funny? - No? Insulin went in.

Here's a suggestion for you: fill a new syringe to the .5 mark with the insulin. Squirt the insulin into the palm of your hand. Sniff it, Lantus has a very distinct odor, also note how much (or little) is in your hand.

While it seems like such a small amount, this is how much your cat is getting and needs. I know it's crazy to see isn't it.

As for getting out of the house - go, do what you need to do and don't worry. My recommendation is test before you leave, then test when you return.

Also, to help the ears, put some neosporin or antibiotic ointment on the ears after testing. I would massage it onto both of Maui's ears and just made it part of our routine. This will help the healing and help diminish the bruising.

PS - good job!

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You should (maybe) see some change in BG by +6 in the cycle. The first 5 - 7 days of Lantus often will not show big differences. You and Baby are working on building up a blood level/depot (aka "shed") in her system. The shed is an important concept to understand and is one of the ways in which Lantus differs from other insulins. There is information about the Lantus depot in the note at the top of the Board (and I also linked it).

How much time do you need to readjust your shot time by in order to get back on schedule? Because Lantus is a 12-hour insulin, you generally can't make big adjustments in shot time without messing with the shed. Because an early shot acts like a dose increase and a late shot acts like a decrease we really try to stick as close as possible to a 12-hour schedule.

As far as testing, there are times when you will need to test a lot. There are also those of us Ilike Roni and I) who generally test a lot. I like data. You need to have enough test data to help guide your decisions about shooting and how Baby uniquely responds to Lantus. For example, I normally don't test at +1. Gabby had a very good number to start her day but she is a cat who will often have big and rapid changes in her BG level.. Given where she started today, I tested at +1. You will also need to factor in your work schedule. What works for a work day won't work for a non-work day. We try to get spot checks in during the AM and PM cycles. I would suggest getting a test before you walk out the door to work (providing there's some time between AMPS and your out the door test) and a before bed test. AMPS and PMPS are essential. Spot checks that are at mid-cycle are also important so you have an idea of where and what Baby's nadir is. So, the minimum would be 4 tests per day. I'd suggest visiting other Lantus user's threads (we call them condos) and looking at spreadsheets. This is a great way to get a sense of what people here do. And, ask questions!!

15. Nicole & Baby

The fur was not wet & no funny smell..so she got her dosage YAY!

Baby will ultimately need injections at 5am & 5pm, but will admit that things are going to be off a little bit. I figure based off the AMPS or PMPS # I may or may not need to shoot, so we will work our best to get on that schedule. For the next 3 days, I can do the 9:30am/pm but want to get closer to my schedule, because I have work next week.

16. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hi Nicole! I am so proud of you starting at home!!! After I broke our first vial of Lantus, believe me it stinks.

You sound like me...."what do I do stare at her?" lol

I am glad we are starting this together, albeit you and Baby should be better off than me and Webber. Yesterday, Webber's BG did not seem to go down much til +6 (6 hours after the shot). And remember, that was with a whopping 4 units.

Breathe and relax. I think the hardest part is over.....just getting started. And you did it by yourself!!! :RAHCAT

17. Nicole & Baby

Paige, thank you! You were going by the advice of your vet or you would have started at home too..so don't give yourself a hard time. I definitely watched Webber's updates yesterday. So glad things are looking up for you both!! I know after Webber's 4 units, my .5 seems like nothing! Anyway...you will be great giving the injection tonight after work - if needed. Everyone told me how easy it was & it really is that easy - so easy I wondered if it happened LOL

Anyway..keep us posted & I will do the same : ) Loved seeing your blue & green #s!!

18. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Is that what I want.....blues and greens? I really don't know.

19. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Nicole, congratulations! You see that Baby really didn't notice the syringe - amazing, but true. My Kitty sometiems purrs through his shot.

You've gotten great input from more experienced people on why you MUST test before every shot, and therefore should not take a day off. As for moving to your regular times, you can safely move each shot by up to 15 minutes. Will that get you on schedule?

Also, as for bruised ears: When you test, are you compressing the tested area right afterwards? I use a folded napkin. Just press the ear firmly for maybe 10 seconds, as the doctor does to you when you get a shot. It stops the bleeding and helps prevent bruising.

Just wanted to say, well done! Baby is so fortunate that you've taken charge.

20. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 1/7 Baby begins Lantus +3 32 HELP!!

Do you have high carb wet food

21. Nicole & Baby

+3 she is 32! Eating everything is site..please help!

22. Nicole & Baby

I gave her ProPlan Chicken & Rice with Gravy...she is eating like she has never seen food.

23. Miriam and Putty (GA)

What are you feeding her.....don't let her overeat in case you need to feed more later

24. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Can you test again now

25. Nicole & Baby

I'm scared.. I am just opening cans of food & letting her eat high carb.
    She is playing then eating, back & forth...

26. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Don't give any more food right now but test.....breathe you are doing great

27. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

You want to feed small amounts of high carb food at this point -- between a teaspoon and a tablespoon. Do you have any Fancy Feast varieties with gravy? If not, you can add a couple of drops of Karo on top of low carb food.

Test in 15 min. and post.

28. Ronnie & Luna

Ok Nicole, stay calm, this is good that she is eating. Ok? Calm.....breath...please retest

29. Nicole & Baby

*Breathing* will give about 15mins to retest..since we just tested about 15 mins ago...

30. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Do you have Karo syrup handy? A 1/2 tsp or so either licked off your fingers directly or mixed in with some wet food should produce some results in 15-20 minutes. I use this instead of HC because my cat has a sensitive tummy. May help you, esp if your cat gets full.

Definitely post your subsequent tests. The goal is to have 2 tests rising. Since this is early in the cycle (usual low point doesn't hit until +6 more or less), you may need a little more HC or Karo to get Baby back into the 50s and staying there.

You can do this! Don't worry! It's scary, but it's something you can handle....

31. Ronnie & Luna

yup - u have to stay calm, she will feel your stress and make it difficult to test her.

when u have a moment - this BG of 32 was 3 hours after you shot correct? Glad ur updating SS along the way.

ur doing good - just focus, breath, and calm....

32. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Nicole:

Please post the results of your testing. Baby was 32 at +3. What's the # at +3.25?

I don't think we're at Karo point but we need to know if Baby's numbers are rising. Keep in mind, your kitty is not symptomatic. Baby is playing and very happy that you're providing lots of yummy high carb food!

Ashleigh & Ares likes this.
  33. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

BTW, about how much does Baby weigh? Just thinking if she's on the smaller side, you'll see more of an effect of the HC food than if you have a big kitty. Quincy is ~13 lbs, and in case it's helpful, I've needed 1/2 to 1 tsp to get him out of hypo situations in the past.

I *think* her weight has implications for Lantus dosing too...

Mistryst likes this.
  34. Nicole & Baby

Yes, 3 hours after her first shot...was the 32 reading.. I will test again here in a few minutes...she is running around crazy with a toy I just bought her...she is always very active..but this is REALLY active! Only had honey..just rubbed some on her gums... I am scared to see the +6 but am not stressing out..

35. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

Just saw this post. How is Baby? How is she acting? What is her BG now?

36. Nicole & Baby

She is a petite kitty, weighs about 11lbs or just under..very small frame too.

37. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Active is good... With all the HC and even honey in her, by the +6 she could be higher than when you started this AM! :smile:

It is really helpful to get tests every 15-20 minutes, though, with a BG that low.

38. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/7 Baby begins Lantus +3 32

Okay, just tested again - she is at 64, not sure how to update the spreadsheet for the 15min time frame. She is still hungry - so I just gave her some Wellness Chicken - she is eating that up - I did not want to keep her on the high carb. Thoughts? Scared about the +6

39. Miriam and Putty (GA)

I think I would hold off on the food now because it is still early in the cycle and you may need to feed more later. We don't want Baby to be too full. 64 is a good rise.

40. Kathy and Kitty

Nicole, try to feed her the gravy, which is where the carbs are. Feed a tablespoon of gravy, then test again in 15 minutes.

Do you have any Karo or maple syrup on hand?

You will get through this, quarter hour by quarter hour.

41. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/7 Baby begins Lantus +3 32 +4 64

I feel like a horrible Mom! I cannot imagine if I would have been at work what would have happened!

42. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

I think I recall you saying that your vet didnt teach you how to give injections, etc. Did the vet show you where the .5 unit marking is on the syringe? Is there any possibility you shot 5 units instead? It can be very confusing. Which syringes are you using? What does the label say?

43. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

That's a really good rise. Wouldn't be surprised to see it climb a little higher given all the food and honey...

Just to confirm, was the 64 1 hour after the +3 32 measure? I thought you mentioned a 15 min measure since you were wondering about how to update your spreadsheet.

Re: the spreadsheet, check out mine/Quincy's in my signature... See 12/26 and 12/02 for examples of how I included 15-minute tests in my file (as well as for examples of how Quincy responded to his hypo situations - though ECID, of course)

44. Kathy and Kitty

I see recommendations of 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of gravy from someone more experienced.

45. Nicole & Baby

Linda...... YOU ARE RIGHT.. I just looked at they syringe..I gave her 5 Units.. what now??

46. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Good Job Nicole. I would get a test in 1/2 hour and make sure she is surfing. Honey works as well as Karo. Kathy is right, the gravy from the HC food is where the carbs are so you will not fill her up and still be able to get her to eat something. You are doing well. Relax, breathe. Lots of beans here if you need further help. Welcome to LL. Baby will be our drama queen today. :lol:

47. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

You are NOT a horrible mom. You have done everything right so far. This is not your fault. And you did the right thing by starting her while you were home. You are both new at this and will do fine. Baby doesnt even know anything happened. And really....nothing happened, just got a little low.

48. Nicole & Baby

I don't know what I have given her now..I am using the Reli On 3/10ml 31 gauge short needle.
    The syringe goes 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 & I gave the Insulin up to the 5 point mark??

49. Miriam and Putty (GA)

I was wondering the same thing about the 5 units.

50. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Others will weigh in, no doubt, but I think it means you need to monitor her probably through +6 or even +7, and hourly checks aren't going to be frequent enough. If you're already at +4 you're closer than you think and have already managed to bring Baby back up.

This definitely explains why Baby reacted so quickly to her first shot!

Take a look at this set of photos: http://romlin.com/jock/SyringeFineGradations/
    You'll see what 0.5 looks like. It's really a very small amount. Regardless of the type of syringe you're using, I think you'll be able to figure out if you gave 0.5 or 5.0

51. Kathy and Kitty

Nicole, I have seen others go through this. Keep testing every 15 minutes. You will control this.

52. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

Rookie mistake. Its happened to a lot of us. I think Baby will be fine but do keep an eye on her and check BG every few hours. Her numbers will most likely be high at pmps due to all the carbs. I will let others with more experience chime in....

53. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

Yep, I "overshot" Donovan the first day I switched to Levemir. Instead of 1U, I gave him 2.5U due to the U40/U100 conversion issue (previously on Vetsulin) :roll: But I didn't realize I did it until the next day when my brain apparently was better engaged.

Sounds like Baby is back in the safe range now. Keep testing. Her numbers may bounce around after this experience, but she'll settle down.

You, have a glass of wine or something :mrgreen:

54. Miriam and Putty (GA)

You are going to have to test a lot more...how long ago was the last test? Stay calm I just gave an overdose a couple of weeks ago so we all make mistakes. You are doing great!

55. Nicole & Baby

Thank you everyone! She is happy as ever right now so it seems..I will keep testing & at some point figure out where to find the .5... I cannot belive I have done this! I need a bottle of wine! :mrgreen:

56. Kathy and Kitty

Nicole, keep posting your test results and times so that experienced people can catch up with you quickly.

Glad you're breathing!! :mrgreen:

57. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

You probably read this at some point, but just so you have it handy for today, here's the "official" sticky on hypo symptoms and how to handle them:

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1637

You're pretty much adhering to this, but it's nice to see it all written down in one place - maybe give you something to focus on if you're stressed and not thinking as clearly as usual. I know this can be a major adrenaline-spiking thing!

58. Miriam and Putty (GA)

How long since the last test?
    I think it has been at least 30 minutes since the last test. If so test again so we can see if she is dropping.

59. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

Yeah Im pretty sure you shot 5 units. Each line below the number 5 represents 1 unit.

.5 units is less than 1 unit. Its really just a teeny tiny drop.

I think somebody posted a link with a picture.

60. Ronnie & Luna

Nicole,

as far I'm concerned you are doing fine, you caught it at +3 - AWESOME!

As for the testing you will have to do today - alternate ears so she doesn't get too irritated with the pokes ok?
    have you got neosporin creme? that will help make her ears feel better later on.

Take a look at the pic someone linked in their reply - also in HEALTH in ur thread there this morning, - Monique put a pic in her reply to u too - look at it closely, zoom in if u have to.

Man, I need a bottle of wine after today! lol! drinking24 hmm...maybe I'll settle for chocolates, u have chocolates right? lol

61. Ronnie & Luna

62. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

You are doing great! Well, let me rephrase, Baby is doing great your anxiety level was probably off the charts. We've all been there. Those low numbers are scary the first couple of times.

For now....
    Make sure you have plenty of food on hand. And plenty of strips.
    You are going to need to closely monitor over the length of this cycle since we don't have much data about Baby.
    It is possible that you may need to skip the PM shot in order to let the shed deplete enough so you can shoot safely tomorrow. We'll know this closer to shot time.
    For now, I would test every 30 min. until you see numbers are consistently going up and/or plateau. (Edited: listen to Libby - test every 15 min.)
    Then test every hour. We don't want numbers to drop without being monitored since we don't know how fast Baby's number go up or down.

You can take a look at Gabby's SS to see how I chart numbers when I'm testing at times other than on the hour. That's one way to do it.

Deep breaths. Stock chocolate, wine, vodka -- whatever works.

63. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Nicole, you're doing great, just be sure to breathe!

If you shot too much insulin, all that means is that we may be at this for a while. At some point her liver will kick in and dump some extra glucose into her system to help us out.

*JUST IN CASE* - how far away are you from the nearest vet? I'm not saying that you need to panic, we can normally get through this on our own, but it's important for us to know that as we guide you.

You'll need to test about every 15 minutes for a while. Feed small amounts of gravy at a time, because you don't want her to get too full. The gravy is where most of the carbs are. Good that you have high carb food and syrup on hand, because we can use those to keep the numbers from falling. What HC food are you using? Someone will look up the carb % for us.

I'm checking in from work and will try to do so often. Meanwhile, you are in the BEST hands with the people who are already here in your condo. Stay calm, usually overdoses turn into a non-event but we do want to stay on top of it.

64. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

I was suspecting that after seeing the quick drop and I had answered Nicoles post on health about the .5 dosing, I also gave the picture there but I don't think she saw it before the low numbers came. No big deal, just keep testing.

Now you and paige (who's vet gave 4U yesterday) are sitting in the same boat!

65. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Yes we are nailbite_smile

I am just glad she was home and took the +3. I told Nicole that when I read this my heart skipped a beat. We do seem to be in this together.

66. Nicole & Baby

Okay..in about 20mins we will be at +5, I will test again then & post her #s..good grief.. yes I do have a Vet nearby..but I am thinking we are Ok..after the 64...just scary she never gave any signs! Uggh...cannot believe 5 units...most definitely an idiot. Anyway...I do have plenty of HC food - because her sister loves it & is not Diabetic...so we are Ok there...
    I have (thank you everyone) found the .5 mark now LOL
    I will stay away from the wine for now..obvioulsy I am not clear minded enough to adminster insulin sober LOL
    Anyway...will keep you all posted & thanks again!!!

67. Nicole & Baby

Also...what # am I aiming for? What is good?

68. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Don't beat yourself up Nicole, one day you will look back and laugh at this and be telling some other new person that just did the same thing (it happens alot!) about your fumble.

I was there when MJ did it too, we got a real kick out it later. I think I've seen this or simular at least 8 times since I've been on here (less than a year!) so your not unique.

69. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/7 Baby begins Lantus +3 32 +4 62 +5 46

I was wrong about the +4 it was 62, just tested again (about 15mins shy of +5) she is at 46..feeding gravy & HC Treats. What now? Do we need to get to a Vet? Or just keep testing..I am scared it will go even lower.

70. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Nicole I have been giving Putty insulin for a year and just two weeks ago I gave him 4.5 units instead of 2.5 units. Don't feel bad we all make mistakes. It is just harder on you because this was your first day.
    Baby does not know the difference.......he just know whatever you did he got to eat some yummy food.

71. Miriam and Putty (GA)

You can control this with food. Just give small amounts....about 2 tablespoons.

72. Kathy and Kitty

GLAD you didn't wait to test.

Just "rinse, lather, repeat." Give more gravy - I guess a teaspoon was recommended -- then test again in 15 or 20 minutes.

73. Kathy and Kitty

Or food, as Miriam suggested! Just a little.

You'll nurse this through a little at a time. The food, gravy and honey boost the BG for short periods of time, so you apply those, then test, then reapply, then test, until Baby evens out.

74. Ronnie & Luna

The Calm Police here...
    calm,,,breath...relax...focus....

(add ur new numbers to ur FIRST post too like u did the 32... that way we can all see them RIGHT AWAY)

...breath....calm...deep breath... :mrgreen:

75. Nicole & Baby

Just gave her some more gravy..but she wants more food...is begging & never begs for food?? Do I just let her eat what she wants?

76. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Nicole, here is a photo of 0.5 unit of insulin. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

77. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Sorry I meant to say gravy......don't want to give too much food. Baby will get too full and she may still need to eat later.
    You are getting closer to the wine.
    Most likely she will not be getting a shot tonight but that will be determined later.....you on the other hand will need a shot of something very strong. drinking09

78. Kathy and Kitty

What I meant to say above is that, because the HC and honey are short acting, it isn't so surprising to see the BG down. You'll just boost it up again with a little food or gravy until it clears - but testing in shorter intervals than an hour to be sure the numbers are responding.

79. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Do you have any honey or karo syrup?

80. Kathy and Kitty

How much food have you given already? As Miriam says, the key thing is not to get Baby too full.

81. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

You're most likely going to have to do what we call, "lather, rinse, repeat." Test to see if Baby's numbers are lower, like the 46 (That's the lather). Feed - either low carb or medium carb to bump them up (that's the rinse). And repeat the process.

You are using food to manage the numbers. This is what we all do and you're doing a great job. Don't give too much food. You don't want her to get full 'cause you could be at this for a while.

82. Nicole & Baby

Thank you everyone.. I am not sure how much food I have given really.. I kind of freaked out & just let her have whatever she wanted. Uggh. I hate to think of all the Carbs..but she needs them right now...will test again here shortly.. I just want this stuff to wear off!
    She seems full & now tired too - I hope she does not get sick & vomit it up... will test again shoy..she does not see to be acting normal..

83. Miriam and Putty (GA)

What is she doing that is not normal? She may be just very full from all the carbs.

84. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

How is she not acting normal?

85. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

Holy Kittens Batman!!! What a first day :D You are doing just fine. Remember to lather, rinse, repeat. The food will help keep her safe, but you have to keep testing.

We all make mistakes so don't beat yourself up for it, k?

Breathe and you may want to make sure you have a treat available for later on ;)

What does not seem normal?

86. Nicole & Baby

When I was typing..she was just kind of sitting & looking high as a kite..but now she is just kind of chiling in the sun, laying..I am going to test again in 5 minutes..her poor ears.

87. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Nicole I have only the experience from yesterday and I don't want to scare you because every cat is different.......but it wasn't until the +12 that Webber's numbers started going up. So you may be at this for a while.

Every time that you give the carbs it gets sucked back down by the insulin. So you will have to be slow and steady with the testing and feeding. If she gets too full---do you have a medicine syringe (without a needle of course) that you could give her honey with?

88. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

You are doing great. I know, it doesn't feel like it, but you are.

May I suggest that when you feed her next, only give her one or two teaspoons of food.

And here's a great way to handle giving high carb food without giving too much food.

Open a can with gravy - like FF marinated or grilled style if you have that - then spoon out the gravy

- she can either lick a couple spoons of gravy by itself

and/or you can take a spoon of her low carb food and put the 2 spoonfuls of gravy on top of it.

It sounds like she's had quite a bit of food today and may not be hungry, yet if her BG continues to drop, you will need to feed her without overstuffing her.

So, try these tricks for the next BG feeding session.

Oh and take a deep breath, hold it, hold it, hold it, now release.

Yes, it's scary the first time they hit a low number, but you caught it and are handling it.

89. Kathy and Kitty

It's hard not to fret, but don't worry about her ears too much. They will heal.

Post your number as soon as you test! :D

90. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

hi nicole. i understand you gave 5 units instead of 0.5 unit.
    you're doing very well, but we really need the answers to these questions:

--- how many hours has it been now since you gave the shot?

--- hw many strips do you have left?

--- how many cans of hc do you have left?

--- how far away (in minutes) is your vet? do you have a way to get there?

--- is anyone there with you?

please post the next number as soon as you get it.

91. Nicole & Baby

Good idea Paige..if she does not really level out until +12..we have 7 hours ahead of us.....

**Just tested again...her BG is at 42, 45mins until +6

92. Jill & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/7 Baby begins Lantus +3 32 +4 62 +5 46 +5.25 42

rub a little honey or syrup on her gums and retest in 15 minutes.
    as soon as you can, please answer the questions in my post above.
    thank you...

93. Nicole & Baby

In 40mins it will be 6 hours since her shot
    I have a lot of strips - no worries there
    I do need to get some more HC food...but afraid to leave & yes I am here alone.
    Her Vet is under 3miles away...yes I have a car to get there...

94. Jill & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/7 Baby begins Lantus +3 32 +4 62 +5 46 +5 & 15mins 42

do not leave to go get hc. we can make our own by adding a few drops of honey to lc food.

however, just use honey right now. i don't want her to get too full and vomit.

retest in 15 minutes.

call your vet and tell him what happened. he'll probably want you to bring her in because an overdose of this kind can produce a prolonged hypo event.

in other words, we could be fighting the numbers for well past +12.

95. paige

paige Well-Known Member

All,

Would it be a good idea to ask her to call the vet and give them a "heads up"?

Just to be safe.....not to say you will have to go.

96. Jill & Alex (GA)

ps --- if the vet wants you to bring her in... take the bottle of honey with you in the car in case she needs it.

97. paige

paige Well-Known Member

NIcole - even if they do tell you to bring her in, she will be ok. Now it's just a matter of keeping her blood sugar stable.

98. Ronnie & Luna

Stay calm Nicole, in between testing and posting here, also gather your notes with your numbers today and such...just stay calm, we're all here for u and you know your vet is too.

99. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

And take your glucometer with you!

100. Nicole & Baby

Called the Vet..gave all the info to the tech & the Vet will call me in a few minutes...
    Baby is playing & acting good right now..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.