1/9 BuddyM: AMPS 181 | +1.5 112 | +3 69 |Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mariette, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Mariette

Mariette Member

Previously:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/11-7-buddym-amps-116-2-44-4-5-70-6-81-7-92.241153/

Buddy seems to have become super sensitive to insulin very quickly. I thought to try a day without but then he was a bit high for preshot and I tried 0.5 units. Now he's diving again and still 3 hours to nadir. I just haven't been able to find a dose quickly enough to keep him green and stable.

The spreadsheet that @JaxBenji mentioned of Rex have been super useful to refer to for a similar cat. Thank you so much for linking that Susanne!

I think Buddy's become sensitive even faster than Rex. I have to work my butt of with MC and HC food to stop the insane drops. I wonder if anyone can think of any other similar cats that I can refer to? I am not sure he still needs insulin, but I haven't been able to keep him in nice green numbers like Rex to feel good about transitioning him off right now. It's like anything I give him is too much.

JaxBenji likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

For a strong remission he needs to be between -around 50.100 without insulin. Some say 120. He’s not there yet.

3. Mariette

Mariette Member

Right. That's my problem. I don't know what to do because every day he overly reacts to what I give him. I can't catch up to his needs. So what do I do? Maybe yesterday 0.5 may have been a good dose, but today it's too much.

4. tiffmaxee

What % carbs are your lc, mc, and hc? Anything 10% and under us lc.

5. tiffmaxee

Also, when the pancreas is starting to come back alive the bg will drop 3-4 hours after eating. Next time you skip get a reading 3-4 hours after eating. Likewise you can give insulin, feed, and see what happens 3-4 hours after eating provided he’s not dropping under 50.

Mariette likes this.
  6. Mariette

Mariette Member

Today, the AM LC was Fancy Feast chicken pate. The MC I use is 15% FF gravy, and the HC is 20% FF gravy.

7. Mariette

Mariette Member

I see. So the big drop I see might actually be because of the food. Not only the insulin.

8. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

@PerfumedCatMom worked hard to manage Ruby's early drops - she fed higher carb (yet still low carb so less <10%) food early in the cycle to help even Ruby out. Here's her SS link. See her remarks column for feeding.

FF Classic pates are all pretty low carb (I think most are <4%). Jax seems to do just fine on little to no carbs but I believe a lot of cats do better in the 5-10% range for the exact reason you're experiencing. May be something to experiment with.

I can't remember if I've shared one of my favorite posts about feeding the curve with you or not - in any case, here's a good read https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/8-10-tashie-pmps-high-questions.101989/#post-1087990

9. Mariette

Mariette Member

Great information again! Thank you Susanne! I wish I studied all the food information earlier. I just assumed go as low carb as possible.

10. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Have you considered using calipers to try a smaller dose than 0.5?

11. Mariette

Mariette Member

I'm so far removed from precision dosing with him at the moment lol. But I can certainly try a smaller dose tonight/tomorrow.

12. tiffmaxee

13. Mariette

Mariette Member

Well 0.5 was not a bad dose today. I was able to get him up with only a small amount of 15% carb.

I actually have some calipers so I can certainly try that. I use Brandzig syringes but I think I'll be able to figure out the setting. Thanks guys!

14. Mariette

Mariette Member

My bigger concern is if I'll be able to adjust the plunger that finely. :rolleyes: