10/01/19 - Willow Update and Question on drop dosing & OTJ trials...Updated with OTJ trial info!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by nslade001, Oct 1, 2019.

1. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

last post

Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing well, and your kitties are surfing safely :)

Willow has really been on a roll lately, and we'll be reducing her to a drop starting tomorrow. I *think* that to dose a drop, you push the plunger in all the way, insert into bottle, release pressure, and the backpressure draws up a drop or needlejuice....is this right? And this is the next reduction dose after 0.1U?

I can't find the info/sticky or whatever on OTJ trials, if someone could please give me the link...fingers crossed that we'll be needing that info soon!

Otherwise our girl is doing pretty well, adjusting to our (final!) move upstairs to a larger apartment. Her recent culture&sensitivity on a cysto sample showed her UTI has *finally* cleared up!!!! She's on long term low dosing of antibiotics at night to hopefully help prevent a recurrence.

Thank you all so very much! With love, Nikki

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Nice to hear from you Nikki. Glad Willow is doing so very well.

nslade001 likes this.
  4. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Wow Nikki!! Willow is looking totally amazing!!!

Good luck with the new dose!

nslade001 likes this.
  5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It's great to hear the UTI has cleared up and Willow is doing so well.

nslade001 likes this.
  6. nslade001

Thanks everyone!

So I searched, even on google, for 1 1/2 hours and couldn't find the info I needed regarding the OTJ trial; but I found someone fairly new whose cat is *on* a trial, and looked back a bit in their posts and found the info!

I will copy it here in case anyone else is looking for OTJ trial info and can't find it, they may see my thread and look here:

Instructions for starting the OTJ trial
    Start the trial on the next green pre shot.
    If he/she is green at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time; just feed small meals and go about your day. If he/she is blue at your normal "PS", feed a small meal and test again after about 3 or 4 hours. If his/her number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working!
    Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed. He/she may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion.
    After 14 days of no insulin, we have a party!!
    Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens; we just give him/her the support needed. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that than to rush into remission just to have it fail later on.
    Good luck with the trial!!!
    Once he/she is through the trial successfully, you enter a new phase. Your cat is still diabetic but has now become diet-controlled. Continue feeding low carb food in the manner successful for your kitty. If you decide to change his/her feeding schedule, let your meter be your guide to the best times to feed. Avoid medications with sugar in them and steroid medications unless they are medically essential. Continue testing blood glucose weekly for the first month and then monthly forever. It's a good idea to weigh him/her monthly. Weight should remain stable. If he/she seems "off" or sick, or is showing signs of diabetes (excessive drinking, eating, urinating, weight loss), test his/her blood glucose right away. Keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy; dental issues can bring a cat out of remission. If you see rising blood glucose numbers, it's time for a visit to the vet!

With love, Nikki

7. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Nikki, I'm so happy for you and Willow ! :bighug:

A drop is exactly what you said but make sure that when you do inject, you insert, push in the plunger, count to 5, and withdraw while still holding the plunger in. I had kept those instructions in case I ever need them for Ti-Mousse.... never know!!!:p Thanks for posting instructions!

Good luck, we'll follow your little girl ! :joyful:

nslade001 likes this.
  8. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I'm jealous as well, looking amazing Willow, glad u all finally got adjusted to new place, nice to hear from u
    Have a great day Nikki

nslade001 likes this.
  9. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Willow is looking so good!

nslade001 likes this.
  10. nslade001

Thank you all so much, and thanks for the hint Lyane! I spoke too soon...she's got another UTI sigh. oh well, the way I look at it, if she is still reducing and having good numbers when she has an infection...interesting to see when she doesn't!
    Still busy getting settled in, house is a wreck and way behind in everything except willow lol. Still on here fairly regularly, just not posting :) I think of you all (and when I'm on, I *always* check out your photos, Judy!!
    With love, Nikki